What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brown leaf tips

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
No, do not water untill the runoff comes out just yet, wait a bout a week before you do that, gives the plant time to losen up the roots and go down searching for water.

Ya, they were rootbound then; it's ok to use that mixture you are talking about the 50/50 mixture; I was asking ho9w big you were going to grow them, because if you are going to grow them big, next time you transplant the big ones into a bigger pot you can use straight up FFOF soil, they will be plenty big enough to not get burned by the mixture.

I would wait a bit before watering with run off..... you want to give the plant a little time to grow out into the pot a bit, about a week it should be rooting the sides and a little downwards, then you can water when there is a little bit of run off.

Queso45

Would my plants have micronutrient deficiencies if I only used Ocean Forest next time? I know theres like humic acid and some other things in Light Warrior that Ocean Forest doesn't have... so would I need to add extra things to my soil next transplant?

Here's todays pics

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
It all depends..... even if you have a complete feeding sometimes they may need more of one kind of nutrient... if so it's best to supplement it with a one kind of thing.. like if it has magnesium, supplement with Epsom salts....

you will have to wait and see....... what all nutrients are you going to be using for feedings? Al strains are different and require more of or less of certain kinds of nutrients......

Yours seem to be very touchy so you should not have any issues, if you do they will be minimal.

Queso45

The only nutrients I have purchased have been Advanced Nutrients Organic Iguana Grow Juice, Organic Iguana Bloom Juice, and Emerald Shaman. I don't know if this is enough or too much, but this is what I have sitting on my supplies shelf.

Queso45

Also... I was planning on FIMming my plants and cloning them. How long should I wait until I do that? Is it definitely too early?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I would wait a bit longer, the sooner you fim the less you can grow your plants big, because when you fim/top your plants the stem will be only so tall and the rest of the plants shoots catch up and grow tall, so you have this big plant with a small stem....

if you are not planing on growing them big I would wait another week before topping; if you want to grow them over 3 feet tall.... wait 2 weeks.

After you top your plant the other branches will start to branch out and then you can take cuttings, take the ones from the bottom of the plant, because they will only produce popcorn sized buds anyways..... they rob time from the plant and take the plants energy in producing popcorn bites bud, when before going into flowering you take off a lot of the lower branches that won't reach the light and you end up getting better yield from the plant putting it's energy into producing bigger buds, the ones that are able to get the light.

Woody stems are bad clones.. you want to take ones that are still somewhat soft, they clone much easier.....

Queso45

OK I figured out today that I can grow them a little over 5 feet tall (just plant, not including the pot). So when you say if I want to grow them over 3 feet tall--- do you mean in Veg or total size? I want them to be a little over 5 feet total size, so I am planning on Fimming them in at least 2 weeks. I just want to make sure I got that right.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
IN veg, in flower it all depends on strain how big they can get.... weather more indica or sativa dominant.

Yes, wait a bit more, cause they can grow anywhere between 2 to 5 feet more in flowering for 50/50 mixture, sativa dominant can grow anywhere between 5 to 10 feet tall in flowering..... extra.. veg time has a lot to do with how big they get too, the longer you veg them the more height they get in flower..

So yes, you are correct wait 2 weeks top them and then wait one more week put them into flowering....... what strain are your plants?

Queso45

The strain is Big Buddha Cheese, which is Afghani x Cheese(x5) ... So I guess its like a 50/50 indica/sativa?

What happens if they grow too tall in flowering? You kind of scared me with they can grow anywhere between 2 & 5 feet in flowering, seeing as I only want them to be about 5 1/2 feet tall when they're done flowering. I measured today in my room that from the top of my pot to the bottom of my light at its highest point--- 5 1/2 feet.

Should I be concerned now with LST type methods?

Last edited:

Queso45

I've been thinking a lot lately about the upcoming month, and I'm leaning towards vegging them out a bit longer and doing LST. Next month is a very busy month for me and I don't think I'm going to have the amount of time I would like every day to be in the room to make sure flowering is going well.

Also, I think that if I were to start flowering in 3 weeks, then I would have to transplant again in the middle of flowering. I'm sort of scared of shocking the plant when its mid-way through flowering. If I wait an extra few weeks to veg.. I can simply transplant right before flowering.

So I'm leaning towards vegging an extra 3 weeks. This would be okay as long as I tied the plants down right?

Heres todays pics, and I measured my tallest plant at 12 inches:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
After you top your plants, when the biggest 2 branches are getting taller than anything else, get some string and tie the branch up kind of high, if you do it too low you cause stress on the lower part of the branch, if you do it too high you put stress on the upper part of the new branch where it is not as stiff... so you want to find a median where you can tie the branch back a bit, exposing the inner part of the plant to allow the rest of the middle part of the plant to grow, it's kinda like scrogging but without the screen.

Doing this will slow down the big 2 colas making the smaller ones in the middle grow up and they too end up to be colas........

So this helps LST the plant and create an even canopy.

You can't really tie them down right now, because there is nothing to tie down, unless you want to bend the plant's main stem to the right or left, but it's a gradual process you have to bend it slowly and then when it ends up staying in that position you can bend it a little more, but you are much better off topping and then training it.

G

Damn Stitch, you're making the rounds fast today, lol.

Stitch in time... lol

Jesus, I mean 4 minutes between posts. How da fukk ya do dat mane? Oh... I get it. Maybe I need to quit sending my posts off to be proof read before I post, lol.

If you're on patrol, I'll have to go somewhere else to stir up trouble.

Peace

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Hey mojo! :wave:

No no, stay here! The more peeps in the thread the merrier :D

Your avatar reminds me of mighty mouse :D
He used to be by fav when I Was a kid, always carried around a stuffed mighty mouse doll for years until one year it pretty much fell apart and I never found another one like it :(

G

gratefuldawg

I think you were having a lot of those initial problems from to high of a PH. Next time get a PH pen and do what MynameStitch said. 6.5-7 after nutes are added. My ph pen wasn't collaborated right one time, it was off by more then 1 point and I had the same issues. All those nutrients don't go anywhere with a bad PH, they get locked out and build up.

Other then that, looks like your on the right track. Need to learn how to LST, top, and maybe super crop so you can get some good smoke, and not just one heavy cola with a bunch of popcorn shit colas.

peece-

G

MynameStitch said:
Hey mojo! :wave:

No no, stay here! The more peeps in the thread the merrier :D

Your avatar reminds me of mighty mouse :D
He used to be by fav when I Was a kid, always carried around a stuffed mighty mouse doll for years until one year it pretty much fell apart and I never found another one like it :(

Dude, I still carry one. Anything wrong with that??? Am I developmentally challenged???

Anyway, thanks for the invite to hang around. Yeah, my avatar is Mighty Mouse. He's the re-worked, turbo charged version, lmao. This is the one the graphic artists came up with for the new movie they did with Mighty Mouse in it.

Thought it was thoughtful of them to put an "M" on the front for me, hehe.

The old one always looked a little like he was wearing his underwear out in public. Come to think of it, that is a little more what I look like. :wave: :rasta: :headbange

But in my mind's eye? I'm buff and tuff, so... Keep the mirrors outa sight and I'm a happy, torqued up little mouse, hehe.

Peace bro

Last edited:

Queso45

Hey Stitch,

One of my plants is looking like it never fully recovered from the original nute burn. Either that or a new deficiency, which doesn't really make sense. I haven't fed my plants anything but RO water since I transplanted. All of my other plants are looking good, except this one is getting worse by the day. Brown spots are climbing up the plant, and the leaves at the top look weird. On one of the leaves, a blade curls downward while the one next to it curls upward. I'm starting to wish I flushed this plant clean two weeks ago.

Issues:

1. This plant is my tallest plant, so it is the closest one to the light. It is only 5 inches from the glass on my 400w MH cooltube. Could this possibly be light burn? It's not really bleaching the leaves though... its more of a reddish brown. Also, the temps at my canopy never read higher than 80.6 ... so even if my plant was touching the glass, i don't think it would be much hotter.

2. I am still not watering until runoff---- so I haven't checked PH in over 2 weeks. I think the biggest plant still isn't really big enough to give a full watering, its about 14 inches now in a 2.5 gallon pot. It's been 10 days since I transplanted them, do you think I should start watering until runoff?

3. there is a chance that my soil is not an exact 50/50 ocean forest/light warrior mix. There could be a LITTLE bit more ocean forest than light warrior.

4. I also cannot give you the picture from today because ICmag's upload still doesn't work.

Here are the most recent pictures I have on ICmag, you can see the brown spotting starting at the bottom. Now imagine what it would look like if it was worse.

There is good news though, this plant is a female. I've been taking pre-flower shots for the past few days.... I just can't prove it to you yet :)

I'll show you the current pictures as soon as I can, I just don't feel comfortable uploading these kind of pictures on another website.

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
the brown spots are not heat stress; you would not get heat stress with a cool tube but you would get light bleaching.... and it would start on the tops to middle part of the plant depending on how the light is reflecting.

Without new pics it's hard to say, but what color were those spots before they are the color now? Were they any different colors? Were those leaves spotting before you transplanted but just got worse? Has it spread to any other leaves that were not injured?

The only way your plants would have fully recovered is if they were put in the mjixture that was not too strong for them; If I remember right the mixture you did was still a little strong?

So they would grow but would show some issues until they got big enough to where it would not bother them. Ya, those plants are still to small in the pot size they are in to have run off.

But if you want to; go ahead and water them with some run off, but do it with distilled water or RO water to get a better accurate pH; tap water will cause an inacurate reading with the ppms being different in tap water......

Me and a friend have been discussing about this and have come to noticed it's not the same pH when you water with tap water vs distilled water......

What size pails are those btw?

Queso45

Here is a picture of the plant before I transplanted it

The problem I have now looks exactly the same as this picture, except much further along. It has definitely effected new areas that were not effected before the transplant. It does not affect every leaf though. Some leaves are perfectly green, others have this brown shit on it, and other leaves have the curl down rams horns like too much N. Since the transplant though, the new leaves come out looking like they're going to be rams horns again, but then they straighten themselves out--- but they don't end up perfectly straight. Theres like a dent from where the leaf was curled down.

There is also one leaf-blade on my plant that curls upward. The leaf-blade next to it on the same leaf is the rams-horn downward one.

I've noticed that the brown spots do not always start at the edge of the leaf. There are a few brown spots that are in the middle of the leaf.

The Original problem was that I added nutrients to the soil when it wasn't needed. I then transplanted into a 50/50 OF/LW mixture that should not be too strong. I used the same mixture when the plants were younger. The soil this plant is in should not be too hot.

BTW... I don't know the exact size of the pails. If I had to guess I would say they were 2.5 gallons. I can measure the exact dimensions of it, but I don't know how to determine how many gallons it is.

Also--- do you see this upload problem being resolved any time soon? If not I will start searching for a new secure place to upload my pictures.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
The upload problem is being worked on I hear; should be fixed very soon.

The other thing left is to check your pH which you will need to do that..... how long have they been in this mixture now?