What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Powdery Mildew Rx for flowering plants?

ballabuds

I have used a few of the different sprays and they seem to do a decent job of slowing down pm for a couple of weeks, but it seems to always come back.

The best thing that has worked for me for treating and preventing pm, is a sulfer burner. use it 2x a week during veg and twice during the first couple of weeks of flower and you won't see the stuff anymore. It works great and is very easy to do.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
rr14 said:
I heard greencure works pretty good with pm.
GreenCure is the consumer brand name for a product by BioWorks. The brand name for the same product used in the agricultural area is "MilStop® Broad Spectrum Foliar Fungicide"

These products, like a ton of other anti-fungicides, are nothing more than potassium bicarbonate @ about 80% strength. Other brand names are Kaligreen® (Arysta Life Science Corp.), Remedy® (Bonide), FirstStep®, et al.

It's widely used in this area by vineyards, orchards, cane berry growers, etc. It works and works well. I recommend rinsing the plants off after a couple of hours and apply a foliar spray of seaweed extract (MaxiCrop) and molasses (1/2 tsp. per gallon).

Material Fact Sheets – Bi-Carbonate (Potassium and Sodium)

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
ballabuds said:
I have used a few of the different sprays and they seem to do a decent job of slowing down pm for a couple of weeks, but it seems to always come back.

The best thing that has worked for me for treating and preventing pm, is a sulfer burner. use it 2x a week during veg and twice during the first couple of weeks of flower and you won't see the stuff anymore. It works great and is very easy to do.

Supposbly burners and sulfer pellets are illegal around us..any legit online stores sell it?

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Wow..I had forgotten about this thread. I ended up getting a bottle of serenade and it helps quite a bit. As someone mentioned, it smells funky but the neem I had been using didnt smell great either.

Just a side note- I have yet to see powdery mildew on Grape Ape or Purple Queen ( GA x Chronic ). They seem to be resistant genes.

Peace

ballabuds

Common Sensi,

Thats very interesting...

Going back to a sulfer burner. I use it, and know other that also use it and not a one of us had any pm since using it. It's pretty hans off and simple to set up. 2-3ft above plants for a few hours. An added benefit is that it's not nice to any or all of your pest.

HeresTheDank

the indoor grow bible recomends baking soda and water, anyone try it? i got effing PM on some leaves about a month info flowering

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
What kine measurments you use wit ZONE & PENETRATOR?

we don deal wit liters, USA likes to be DIFFICULT as possible ALWYAS. can ya put em in terms of tsp/tbsp per gallon?

also you reccomend spray or comletly dip plants? would be easier for jus spray em, but im looking to irradicate the problem, not remedy it.. many mahalos-BhT

Kr@kEn

BiG H3rB Tr3E said:
What about infected spaces? I get friend and his place is full of pm. What can you do to sterelize area?

General cleaning and then use Lysol or generic disinfectant spray all around the area. If carpet is nearby, I strongly recommend sprinkling baking soda on the carpet after vacuuming regularly.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
HeresTheDank said:
the indoor grow bible recomends baking soda and water, anyone try it? i got effing PM on some leaves about a month info flowering
HeresTheDank

Here is an article from the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service. The article discusses both potassium bicarbonate as well as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

They both work and work well. The potassium bicarbonate agent is about 20% more effective and is also 500% - 2000% more expensive depending on which 'brand' of potassium bicarbonate that you buy. There isn't a dime's worth of difference between any of them.

HTH

CC

HeresTheDank

Thanks, i need some advice bad though! i have about 2 weeks left of flowering, im going to start flushing in a few days, would it be any benefit to do the baking soda/ water thing or is it safe? is this PM goin to be all over the nugs too, i onyl see it on some of the leaves on the buds, mostly on larger fan leaves.

ballabuds

TheDank,

That late in the game be careful with what you decide to do...There are a few products that I have used with some success that claim to be safe to use up intil the day of harvest, but I have never used them this late.

Serenade and Safers...They are both sprays, and they did work for a couple of weeks...Make sure you spay them the next day to clean of the resudual

I have not tried this two methods either but they are the popular thing around here:

1part milk and 5parts water and spray

1part peroxide and 5parts water and spray

It's ok to spray during the lights on time, but dont put them directly on the hoods until they are completey dry.

I hope this helps

Last edited:

ballabuds

Personally, I would hit them with a sulfer buner and wait a couple of days and do it again and then leave them alone...If possible maybe add an extra few days before harvesting...Good luck :joint:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
HeresTheDank said:
Thanks, i need some advice bad though! i have about 2 weeks left of flowering, im going to start flushing in a few days, would it be any benefit to do the baking soda/ water thing or is it safe? is this PM goin to be all over the nugs too, i onyl see it on some of the leaves on the buds, mostly on larger fan leaves.
HTD

The area that I live in is one of the worst for 'powdery mildew' you can find. There are literally 1,000's and 1,000's of acres of vineyards, nursery stock operations, orchards and on and on and on which are affected by this fungus.

Especially in the wine vineyards where product integrity has to be absolute, the overwhelming majority of growers use one of the potassium bicarbonate products with 'KaliGreen' being a popular brand at a couple of the vineyard supply houses.

Combating powdery mildew is a given regardless of what type of gardening or growing that you're involved in. I have used a few of the consumer-level products and found them helpful but limited in their effectiveness.

Take Serenade for example - it works and can work well if one is diligent. Avoid buying the bottle that is pre-mixed and ready to shake and apply. It is worthless as it is far too diluted to do you much good. Buy the bulk pack and mix/dilute according to the directions. Use one of the hand spray-pumps and make sure that you hit every leaf, branch, stalk, etc. Spray the walls of the flower room and wipe them down changing towels for each wall.

Personally the smell of Serenade is enough to make me hurl - it's disgusting. Almost as bad as burning sulphur - but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I've never used sulphur but I know that many of the MMJ growers in this state swear by it and highly recommend it. The burners are made available to MMJ cardholders through a couple of volunteer organizations.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I know what a bitch it is dealing with PM. I finally got my veg and flower rooms under control several months ago. Now I'm a cleanliness freak - fighting PM is all about prevention which will hopefully preclude the need for reactive measures. But again ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

CC

HeresTheDank

sweet thanks, definently stressing with harvest time coming in the next 10-14 days. So i'll probably try serenade or the baking soda/water mixture. Just spray the shit out of all the leaves, stocks, branches etc and what about the buds? avoid spraying them or is it okay too? then the next day spray again with water to get off the plant correct? Thanks for all the help guys, im hoping the PM doesnt ruin my first crop!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
HeresTheDank said:
sweet thanks, definently stressing with harvest time coming in the next 10-14 days. So i'll probably try serenade or the baking soda/water mixture. Just spray the shit out of all the leaves, stocks, branches etc and what about the buds? avoid spraying them or is it okay too? then the next day spray again with water to get off the plant correct? Thanks for all the help guys, im hoping the PM doesnt ruin my first crop!
Good idea on spraying the following day with clear water. The only thing that I would add to that would be 1 tsp. of molasses. Molasses contains a fair amount of sulphur which will help prevent a re-infestation.

Unfortunately you will have to spray the buds. That is where the mildew does the most damage, i.e. on the sugar leaves and then it spreads. Hit them hard and keep lots and lots of air moving around.

A major step in preventing/stopping PM is controlling the humidity in your room. Keep your humidity below 40F and you're good to go.

HTH

CC

EDIT: Personally I would use baking soda over Serenade. Baking soda IS approved for organic agriculture applications. As is potassium bicarbonate.

Head to the grocery store and get a fresh box.

Last edited:

ballabuds

Whatever you decide to spray, keep it off the buds...And don't forget to spray on the underside first, it's a lot less messy that way...Good luck

Heresthedank--- do yourself a favor and do not use the serenade. That is the worst smelling stuff EVER. before doing anything you should read this entire thread if you haven't already done so. I can persanlly reccommend using Dutchmasters Zone and Penetrator together at their reccommended ratios. This stuff works amazing and does not smell bad. This stuff is kinda expensive but I think it is worth it. Before I found this I was planning on shutting down and restarting later.

Also I heard hydrogen pyroxide can work too. but i hav'nt tried. it. good luck...

Oh and whoever reccommended spaying mollasses...i would advise against it, I heard the plant can't absorb it through the leaves and it can possibly attract ants into the growroom. The ants themselves aren't bad, but they bring other pests with them. :rasta: