What's new

Please Help To Figure Out If I Can Grow Here To Not..

B

Bluemater

Hi, I stupidly posted this in the Australian forum but I'm not getting a reply obviously cause hardly anyone reads it but I need a reply pronto if possible please as I need to know whether to pop beans or not and it's getting late in the season! I'd really appreciate some help on the matter, thanks!

"I have a bit of a dilemma.. As we all know the Sun rises higher in the sky this time of year.. It's just heigh enough now to let me put a couple plants in my yard.. AS LONG AS THEY WILL FINISH BY THE TIME IT LOWERS PAST THIS POINT AGAIN ON IT'S TRAJECTORY! IF NOT, THEY WILL BE IN THE DARK FOR THE END OF FLOWERING.. I can't for the life of me no matter how many website's I check, figure out when this is going to take place? I have learned that the equinox was on the 22nd and the next one is on about the 22nd March, this means the days are the same length but I dunno if that means the sun will be in the same place then.. Hope so but doubt it! Please does anyone know how to work it out? Thanks.."

B

Bluemater

Ya but dude I'm trying to work around something that casts a shadow! So I need to know that the sun won't be any lower in the sky in 6 months time..

rastapaul

Try sunearthtools.com, it'll tell you the position of the sun anywhere in the world at any date and time you want, you can even put your own shadow profile in.
It's used for setting up solar panel systems
Hope that helps

Ras

B

Bluemater

Thanks man, I came across it when I was searching online and it says "google maps won't work on this site" believe me I wouldn't post this here if I hadn't searched my heart out, I came across another site called Shadow tracker or something but I couldn't work out how to use it either, went on permaculture sites, the works but still for the life of me can't seem to wrap my mind around it.. I might just be stupid in some ways I guess..

B

Bluemater

I'm in Victoria Australia in case that makes a difference and anyone knows off the top of their head? Don't expect anyone to get on those sites for me and work it out or anything.. Thanks again!

green-genes77

Veteran
Google Earth has tools that can be used to get a rough idea of sun hours on a particular location on a specific day.

B

Bluemater

I'm after the position of it in the sky dude not the hours but if the hours are the same does that mean it's height in the sky will be the same? Thanks..

T

Teddybrae

Listen. Cobber. Post yr question in the Aussie Smokers Lounge. In fact INTRODUCE YOURSELF there!

Here's my take: Sunlight hours increase and decrease depending on the season ... right? This increase/decrease happens a certain amount each day. (Sorry I don't know how much per day for sure ... but I think it is 40 minutes.) You can find this out by reading tide charts or weather reports that refers to "... sunrise at". Sunrise time will change every day ...

When you find out what that daily time difference is ... you will be able to work out where your shadow will be at any given time. But ya gotta do the math yrself!

Then you'll know which variety to grow. (Sun's coming up. You'd better get crackin')

B

Bluemater

I posted it in the Aussie thread but didn't get a response, I think I've figured it out now m8! The sun is in the same spot everywhere in the world at the equinoxes!

therevverend

Veteran
The sun will be right where it is now a week after the spring equinox where you're at.
I might want a spot that at least allows for a couple hours of sun in March. In case your strains go into April.