What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I did play smith over cousins today, alex had a typical day for him, but watch cousins puts up like 4 tds lol.
Finished watching the bears get waxed by the bucs. Glennon had so many turnovers almost made me wish we kept cutler. If he does that 4 or 5 more times this season then ill definitely wish we had kept cutty.

Trying to find a decent stream of the chargers dolphins game. Stupid cbs has some bs app that you have to pay for to watch their live programming.

It seems like most nfl fans in the LA area were raiders fans, and thats why kroenke wanted the chargers as a co-tenant, cause he was afraid the raiders would be more popular than the rams if they moved in.
The rams i think have the most recent history in the area but the coliseum seems more than half empty for their games, and that's with the cheapest tickets going for less than $10.
I think the chargers used to be in LA decades ago but the only fans showing up for their games are chargers fans who live in the area or who are driving up from san diego; i dont think the team is converting many fans locally. If the team becomes a contender that may change but even the mayor of LA thinks the bolts should have stayed in san diego...

shithawk420

Veteran
Fuck,I rather have cutler back or play Trubisky.surpris ed they almost beat ATL though.but I think Glennon sucks

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
He wasnt good. I would think Fox has to think about getting trubisky reps with the 1st team this week, but after todays game he said that you cant pin all the turnovers on glennon, the whole offense has responsibility. Which i dont think was really true on glennons turnovers, but they could have helped him out more, sure, there were a bunch of dropped balls late in the game by the receivers.

Cutler actually looked decent with miami today. Threw a couple of 50/50 balls up for grabs, but they worked out for him today.

shithawk420

Veteran
Bases on last week's game I thought the Packers were gonna win.I'm happy though cause Falcons are my second team.Rodgers got beat up.Falcons looking pretty good

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I was happy at one point i thought the packers might lose by more points than the bears, but they made it closer at the end.
The pack lost their starting tackles, their best receiver and def player; rodger's two TO's led directly to falcons TD's. If the packers struggle with injuries again this year, i dont think theyll challenge for a superbowl...
Falcons played fast, looked better than they did against the bears. Sarkisian looks good as the offensive playcaller, he's actually calling some running plays when they have a lead to burn up the clock. If only they did that 7 months ago...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
what a great sunday of football, eh fellas?

donks put a whoppin' to the cowboys and zeke'elliot causes a stink by not chasing after a man he has no chance of catching!
/"he gave up on the play!", they shout and shake their fists at the clouds

the chiefs looked really good against philly this weekend
same with the falcons

i never heard that about kroenke preferring the chargers over the raiders, but i could believe it
if you saw the crowd that turned out to watch the chargers home opener, you would have thought it was a joke
seriously, the stadium looked like a practice facility and there was no one there
plus i read it was almost 50-50 dolphins fans
/for a venue that seats less than 30,000 to look that empty really tells you how much support the chargers will receive in la. at least the rams were playing in the coliseum which seats like 90,000
its almost like la never really wanted either team

shithawk420

Veteran
The new Mercedes Benz dome was really cool huh?I've been to the Georgia dome and it's nothing campared.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The 3 highest scoring teams in the league so far are the chiefs, raiders and broncos. If Siemien is the real deal at QB, maybe it's possible both wild cards could come from the AFC west...

Stubhub looked half empty at kickoff, but looked mostly full later in the game. But yeah, at least half seemed to be dolphins fans. Which i guess according to phil rivers was an issue even in san diego, with visiting fans being a major presence at home games. Both LA and SD are destination cities so maybe that's not surprising.

Chargers got screwed by the kicker again last week. Which maybe he was a diversity hire to attract korean fans in LA, but i saw a good part of that game, Koo was fading his kicks to the right all game, had missed one earlier to the right. So why, if youre the bolts and you're lined up on the left hashmark, do you run it to the right on your last play to center the ball for the game winning kick? If they had just kept it on the left hashmark maybe Koo's kick sneaks inside the upright. You would think a special teams coach would notice something like that...
Chargers went 1-7 or 8 last year in one score games, and it's not looking any better this year. I'm sure spanos wants a winning team his first year in LA, but maybe if they tank enough they can get darnold or rosen, that may attract more local fans. Although i dont know what you do with rivers in that situation, maybe trade him to a winner so he can finally have a chance at a ring...

Hawk, the falcons' new stadium looks like it has twenty 20 foot HDTV's mounted above the field. Best of all, i keep hearing that concession prices are ridiculously low, like minor league baseball prices. I was at a cubs game a couple years ago, paid $9 for a bud light. It was 16oz but still. Crappy hot dogs were like $6 each. Sucks that you could buy a dozen of each at a store for what you pay at a stadium...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
that mercedes dome looks sweet!
its like something straight out of a video game or VR (virtual reality)

yeah, a lot of visitor fans show up for chargers games,ebven when they were in san diego
but for your home opener, i would think you could draw a decent crowd to support the "home" team
/points at spanos and laughs
did you guys hear about the sigh guy who is putting up bilboards around so cal bad mouthing the spanos? (also a couple other teams)
i hear there was even a plane flying around the stadium pulling a banner saying spanos is the worst owner in the nfl
you bet spanos wants to have a winning record his ifrst season in la, its the only way he will be able to get any kind of fan support in the new location
but the band wagoners are not gogint to show up for a mediocre team and i think he has burned his bridges with san diego fans
/predicts the only sell outs stub hub will see are when the raiders come to town

lets not forget the broncos defense in that win over the cowboys
the afc west is hotter than ever and it looks like its just heating up

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Did you contribute to the crowd funding for that billboard near stubhub, pop?
There's also a restaurant in SD that's offering a free taco after after each chargers loss.
I think they play KC next, so they're probably looking at 0-3.

I guess the logic behind moving to LA is that the valuation of the team itself will increase simply by being in LA and not SD. So if spanos does sell, he can get an extra X hundreds of millions by having an LA in front of the team's name instead of an SD.
But i would think that ticket sales and local revenue has to play some part in team valuation also. What if the chargers fill up less than half of the new Inglewood stadium (seats 70k, up to 100k for special events like superbowl, olympics, etc)? A billionaire is going to look at all the empty seats and think, i can use this to lowball spanos...

How's everyone's fantasy teams doing? I have jordan howard in one of my leagues, ugh. Could be worse, i could have had david johnson...

Space Toker

Veteran
I like our chances babbabooey but I am superstitious and you aren't going to get me to make bold predictions or ponder the importance of one player over another... If we follow the one game at a time mantra we always seem to follow, good things should happen. Go 2017 Patriots!!!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
no, i dident contribute
while i totally see where the guy is coming from and support him 100%, i am not going waste my energy (and $$$) to put the team down any more
you are right tho, jsut moving to la probably doubled the franchise value of the team
i totally hope spanos sells the chargers and soon
/thats the one thing that would make me consider rooting for them once again
i think the low attendance is just the start in negotiations if he does sell
no permanent stadium is another
im really hoping the spanos family sell in the next few years and ultimately the team moves back to san diego
right now the chiefs are red hot and should play well against the chargers
maybe not a total blowout,(i imagine a lot of points being scored in that game) but def 3-0 for KC

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The injury bug is starting to hit the patriots (as well as a lot of teams) and thats really the only thing that could prevent them from winning another title. Well that and facing the chiefs in the playoffs. :)
But i hear most of the players are back at practice so maybe it's not that bad.
The jets offense isnt the worst in the league under mccown, and the bills may have some juice in their defense. The Fins look like they may be playoff caliber again if bad cutler doesnt show up. So maybe the pats dont go 6-0 in their division...

The signs are somewhat embarrassing to the owners/league but arent enough to foster true change; so long as rich dudes can get even richer, they'll do it and screw the fans.
I suppose spanos, even if attendance sucks, can point to the LA market in general and say look you have X million fans within 2hrs drive with Y billion of household income, all u need is a winner and you can rake in the local revenue.
So maybe you should want the chargers to do well, cause if they do and attendance still sucks, then the new owner will indeed want to move the team elsewhere, probably san diego. Or st louis?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
signs and local banter is easily swept under the rug
/how many times was it mentioned during the game?
i think the biggest block for the chargers in LA is they will be tenants of kroenke
how will he react if they started taking the thunder from his rams?
they could still get their own stadium build one day which would greatly increase their value but why would you build it in los angeles?
/a fan base takes decades to build and i wonder if anyone with the pockets deep enough would be willing to wait that long for the ROI
either way, f spanos and his entire family
right now they are a laughing stock both in LA and SD
/you can only buy so much respect

so how is fan support where you live baba'?
this is the first time in years that i would say footballs popularity is in decline
maybe its the injuries, or the bad PR the league has gotten but ive noticed a lot of people who i considered football fans to be somewhat indifferent to the sport
/these are not just previous charger fans,either
whats even more concerning is that most of them say they would not encourage their kids to play
i dont see football loosing its spot in the top three sports just yet, but i do see a lot of people turned off to the sport
just wondering how things are in your neck of the woods,brother

that said, i cant wait for sunday!

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Maaaan, my 9ers lost a close one. I think they were just gassed...after having to play two of the toughest defenses in the league the first two games of the year...then to play a Thursday night game against another tough defense? I'm proud of my team even though they lost.

Hoyer is better than I expected, our receivers are starting to wake up (Garçon caught some tough balls), and our defense is only going to get better.

Yep...lots to build on for next season.

HB.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
People still follow the bears, even though they haven't been good the last 3 years. I guess before soldier field was renovated, there was talk of moving them out to a new stadium in the burbs (i think san diego was willing to build a new stadium in their burbs too, before spanos moved to LA?). A lot of fans were getting sick of the cutler roller coaster, but glennon has all of the downside of cutler with none of the upside. There's arguments for why you wouldnt want to start a rookie qb, but if john fox refuses to change qb's and just watches glennon torpedo game after game, fans are going to want a coaching change...

I'm not sure why NFL ratings are down this year and last year. Maybe it could be the anthem kneeling thing, maybe it was the election last year, or maybe football ratings kept going up for so long they were bound to come down at some point. I also think TV ratings in general have been going down, with the proliferation of cable channels, streaming options, and other forms of digital entertainment (games and apps, etc).

Call me crazy, but adam gase seems like he limited cutler's bad tendencies by having him complete a lot of short, safe throws. I only saw a couple of downfield shots from cutler to davante parker, only one of which could have been intercepted :). Against the jets, he's a sneaky good fantasy football play, could be in line for some big stats. We'll have to see how he does against the patriots to determine if the fins are for real though.

Gurley looks like an elite RB again, and Goff looked like he could be a franchise qb in only his 11th or 12th game he's started. If the Hawks dont get their offense fixed, maybe the rams could win the NFC west?

The niners put up a good fight, almost had a chance to win it with a field goal at the end till a penalty set them back. Theyve got some young talent on their team, just need some experience to go with it. I think they lead the league in # of rookies on their roster, next year they have a bunch of draft picks so they might get even younger. Maybe in 1-2 years they could really be competitive again. Hoyer can sling it around some but he's probably just the gatekeeper at QB for now.

Next thursday we have the bears at packers. I'm thinking it wont be nearly as good a game as this one was...

Latest posts

Latest posts