What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pine Tar Kush: Grow-along and hopefully make some seeds!

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The people who have grown PTK all seem to feel the same about the line. I've been telling people for years that it is a strain that most will be disappointed with. That's not to say great plants can't be found though.
The raised fans are a common feature of PTK, the shape of the fans is also very distinctive and makes her standout in a crowd.

I hope VG finds one of these plants in the "D" group, I would love to see the results of it selfed.

picture.php

mellowfellow

Tomoka Smoka
ICMag Donor
Veteran
VerdantGreen I'm glad to hear that it looks like pollen has taken and hopefully the bounty is plentiful. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some on the bay.

non

Veteran
i was just wondering has this one ever been sent to lab for terpene profiling?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks nice LG, i have a couple of girls that look pretty good, i'm pretty sure one is from the A population, i'll check the label on the other one. Obviously the pollination will arrest bud development to an extent, but i will be running the girsl again as cuts, possibly untopped this time and that should allow better evaluation.

it's also worth noting that the PTK i am growing has undergone at least one round of selection more than the plants you and RL etc are speaking about, so we may see a better frequency of desirable plants amongst mine.

i agree a selfed outstanding plant would be a great project!

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks Tony!

Just back from a week away and i'm happy to say the plants survived fine. looks like well seeded buds and an amazing smell!

more details and some pics later this week hopefully

VG

rolandomota

Veteran
Yes please get seeds to seedbay i want 1 or two packs for sure i will make sure i get this strain pine is my favorite i just received an order from their so things are looking good. When will you make blue digi f3? Or is the f2 still germing good? Anyway back to ptk.....

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey all, here are a few pics of the seeded buds. not looking too bad (seeded buds often quite ugly lookling i find)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
few thrips around, had predators in there but they dont seem to be able to wipe them out totally. not too much of a problem though

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the smell, still a new one on me, there is maybe a terpene here that is very rare i dont know but its unique. quite a bit of variation in the resin coverage and bud structure. some plants have much better calyx/leaf ratio than others. but the smell seems the same on them all at this point.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no intersex traits that i have seen, which is thanks to lean grean's selections because i pretty sure he told me he had a few cases of that in his travels with PTK

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Nice VG! Yes they look to have quite a bit of variation in bud structure but that's great that some phenotypes like the one in the first picture seems to have a decent calyx to leaf ratio, as long as some traits like the smell & taste breed true it will be good !

What is this new terpene you found? Can you try describing it please?

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the smell, still a new one on me, there is maybe a terpene here that is very rare i dont know but its unique. quite a bit of variation in the resin coverage and bud structure. some plants have much better calyx/leaf ratio than others. but the smell seems the same on them all at this point.

VG

That sums the PTK up very well VG.From the tight nugged purple flowers with the extra sharp scent, to the larger nugged yeasty smelling ones that throw better sized buds,the line breeds fairly true for that terpene and our job as growers is to find the ones we like the most and chase them.

Do you plan on running your cuttings unpollinated?
I'm interested in the plant with the longer whit hairs, is it a "D"?
View Image
:tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lean, i will check which one that is. i've kept three or 4 cuttings i think of the best few plants, and yes i will run them sensi or part sensi depending on the seed yield from these plants.

3rd, put simply it is the 'pine resin' smell, which is more focused in these plants than i have ever come across before. hard to say if it is a 'new' terpene or a rare combo. i am recovering from a cold atm so will get a good niff on all the plants soon and try to describe it better. possibly it may be like the rosin they use on violin bows which is refine from pine trees i think??

VG

rolandomota

Veteran
i meant to mention smells :)

there is a sweet, piney hashy smell developing, definitely not something i have come across before! :woohoo:

This exactly why i want this strain i want sone pine weed for the holidays so i will most definitely get at least one pack. What a coincidence with seeds being made in time for a December harvest i hope it all turns out well :tree::xmastree:

Edit hey you beat me to the punch verdantgreen cool deal

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Looking and sounding great VG!

Pine is my favorite.

I wonder if any phenos will smell like Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap? Now that would be great! :)

Big thanks to Lean Green (and others) for your contribution to this project. :tiphat: