What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aeroponic-Aquaponics

Dumme

thank you! since fish wastes are not mineral salts how are you measuring concentrations?

I use different methods from, Hanna's colourimeters to API & Salifert testers and Bluelab's EC meters. Hach and LaMotte also make some good equipment.

Fish only supply the Nitrogen, and all large fruiting plants need a full spectrum of nutrients; some come from the fish feed, but many require you to supplement like iron.

Dumme

I don't use conventional nutrient pre-mixes.
I do use:
-"City" Tap Water (+8.1pH and up, no RO filter)
-Organic Fish Feed (Aquaorganic brand)
-FeEDDHA or FeDTPA (iron)
-Organic Rock Phosphate
-Organic Potassium Sulfate
-OMRI Calcium Sulfate
-Food grade Magnesium Sulfate
-Organic Silica
-Borax Soap
-Worm Castings

And only in emergencies...
-Muriatic Acid (pH down)
-Phosphoric Acid (pH down)
-Potassium Hydroxide (pH up)

Dumme

My target nutrients are:

Ammonia: 0.0ppm
Nitrites: 0.0ppm
Nitrates: 20-50ppm
Phosphate: 15-50ppm
Potassium: 50-200ppm
Calcium: 25-150ppm
Magnesium: 10-50ppm
Sulfur: 15-50ppm
Iron (Fe): 1-3ppm
Boron: 0.1-0.5ppm
Manganese: 0.5-1.0ppms
Zinc: 0.25-0.3ppms
Molybdenum: 0.01-0.02ppms
Copper: 0.025-0.05ppms
Silica: 120-150ppm

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
thank you for all the answers! i was going to ask you about micros but you answered that in your last posts.

i've always been fascinated by aquaponics. maybe someday i can try it.

i hope you show a complete grow here. i would love to see the finished product.

good luck!

HashTree

Cool grow man! I've always been fascinated by aquaponics. Are you running talapia in the tank?

Great use of the culverts! I was wondering how you capped the ends as well. I get the plugs you made but how do they stay in? I suppose there's not much pressure being aero chambers. I imagine it's not a real quiet system.
Really cool, they look like some real trees! It's nice you have some room to work with.

troutman

Seed Whore
thank you! in a typical aquarium the ammonium and nitrite are converted to nitrate by bacteria rendering them much less toxic to fish. so you are using the plants to remove a greater portion of the ammonia and nitrite before it can be turned into nitrate?

how do you balance fish bio-mass and plant bio-mass?

In a healthy system, ammonia and nitrite are converted quite quickly and only nitrates build up.
With aquaponics running smoothly the nitrates are kept in check and consumed by the plants.

Dumme

Are you running talapia in the tank?

I run Rainbow & Brook Trout mostly. They're out of season currently so I supplement with Shubunkins :)

Great use of the culverts! I was wondering how you capped the ends as well. I get the plugs you made but how do they stay in? I suppose there's not much pressure being aero chambers.
I cut the plywood to a very tight fit. That with the small amount of pondliner acted as a makeshift gasket. It took a sledge hammer to get it in. :D

I imagine it's not a real quiet system.

Its not too bad with the culvert being double layered. The bio-filter is the loudest, and had to make a cover for it. I'm working on new ways to quiet the system down, as we speak.

Dumme

In a healthy system, ammonia and nitrite are converted quite quickly and only nitrates build up.
With aquaponics running smoothly the nitrates are kept in check and consumed by the plants.

Precisely!

With a fresh water reactor the size of my bio-filter, I haven't even scratched the surface of my potential bio-load; and I can always add more K3 media if I need it :)

Dumme

Total Aero-Soil success so far..
BPza3REjw4s

BPzardPDKVQ

Those are snails in the second plants roots (2nd picture).

Mr Blah

Snails!!?? Is that a good thing or bad thing?
Let it be known I know nothing about aeroponic-aquaponics.
Fricken cool!

troutman

Seed Whore
I run Rainbow & Brook Trout mostly.

My favorite fish. :woohoo:

I could look at them all day long. I raised some Rainbows from eyed eggs in the early 90's.

Lots of fun seeing those swimming in a kiddie pool until I stocked a secret lake with them.

I would like to do it again one day.

HashTree

I like the idea of the trout a lot better than the talapia. I'd heard that they need cold water. Just wondering water temps your water run of you know.

Also I toured an aquaponic greenhouse a couple years back that grew peppers and the lady told me it was easier to start the system without the fish and just add ammonia till you get the plants and ecosystem going, then introduce the fish. How did you get yours going. Did you start with one thing first or everything at the same time?

Dumme

Snails!!?? Is that a good thing or bad thing?

Snails are a sign of a very healthy aqauponic system, but with aeroponics as well, they interfere with my sprayheads. No, in my case, they're a bad thing :(

Let it be known I know nothing about aeroponic-aquaponics.
Fricken cool!

Aero-Soil Aquaponics :)

Just wondering water temps your water run of you know.
I like to keep my water temp in the low 60's :)

How did you get yours going. Did you start with one thing first or everything at the same time?

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is very pick about how clean the water is. In my case, I started with a few live Trout.

ozzieAI

Veteran
man loving your set up and one day have plans to start my own Aquaponics set up...

watching with intent...

lovemaker

I like the idea of the trout a lot better than the talapia. I'd heard that they need cold water. Just wondering water temps your water run of you know.

Also I toured an aquaponic greenhouse a couple years back that grew peppers and the lady told me it was easier to start the system without the fish and just add ammonia till you get the plants and ecosystem going, then introduce the fish. How did you get yours going. Did you start with one thing first or everything at the same time?

You need to start everything at the same time. This is a tiny ecosystem that can not operate without any of its components: fish, bacteria, plants. I tried to use this system with no plants for short amount of time. The system had clogged up in two weeks. As for the fish - I recomend you to use tilapia or catfish in aquaponics with cannabis due to their tolerance of less-than-perfect water conditions.

Bad7887

what are you using as a grow media in the grow bags.
do you use perlite in the in you mix if not what do you use to aid in drainage?

i have read that perlite can irritate the gills of the fish