What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Poisoning the Canna blah, blah, blah" I might meet this genius tomorrow

JColtrane

So I have a friend who's been talking to this Future Man about his Future Oil :laughing: and asked if I wanna see his set up this weekend, at a little show and tell ... well of course I know I have a few questions for him about this wonderful fish wrapper he wrote, but thought I'd ask my fellow brothers and sisters ... any questions you'd ask??? I'll gladly take them to the dude himself ... like i said, lol

http://www.xtractix.com/refrigerant-recovery-machines-are-poisoning-the-cannabis-industry/

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Eeesss early in the morning and I only scanned it, but this

On a weekly basis there are multiple instances of exploded homes and structures, severe bodily injury and tragic preventable deaths that have occurred while untrained individuals attempt to make BHO with substandard equipment and no safety procedures in place.

pops out quickly. I think we'd have heard about this much more if this was the case...

The numerous warnings about recovery and pressurization of a gas are a chuckle.

"Matches can cause fires"

Captain Obvious to the rescue...

Maybe someone outside of the peanut gallery has more constructive criticism and commentry :p

lolryn

Veteran
something like this would be exactly what I am looking for... but I have a feeling the 8oz extractor is going to be like 1500-2k... I just inquired and I'll let everyone know when/if I get a response!

Terpp

I would ask him why his article doesn't cite sources.

What is his background?

Why not have an open discussion about his article?

NEGT1

There are some good points. Unfortunately they are also selling a product which makes it impossible to decipher fact from fiction. I do agree, there was a lot of amateurism taken in the development and research and production of inline / closed loop systems. They also bring up the use of pumps...but again, who knows what is truth...as pointed out, there are no cited sources either. Well written and quite honestly the product interests me despite the article.

Generally speaking though. I can't wait for the industry to develop to the point where customers don't have to listen to producers for information. That's the worst part of all of this. I don't care how smart the developer of a product is. Don't fucking try to sell information along with the product. It's so desperate and just feels slimy like infomercials.

It's like "our product doesn't really speak for itself so we'll speak a bunch of random nonsensical information for it".

I'm not really speaking about the OP and that product at this point. Customers should be self informative.

Last edited:

Rickys bong

Veteran
Uggh... It makes my skin crawl to give this fool any attention at all, but most of the drivel on his web page are outright lies and I'd love to hear how he defends them.

"There is a listed refrigerant loss of <3% listed on the side of the recovery machines." Straight up bullshit.

"This “gasket oil”, which has found its way into the BHO extraction, is then being ingested by the end user who receives the oil at a cannabis dispensary." ...also pure bullshit.

The one segment that is so wildly fabricated and clearly illustrates the monumental ignorance of the author is this bit:

"These pistons were made from a combination of lead and aluminum and covered with plasma coated chromium. We were told the only place these disintegrated piston particulates have to go is through the lines, into the extraction. The effects of smoking chromium are too numerous to mention, much less the inhalation of lead or aluminum fumes. "

-there is no measurable amount of lead used in aluminum manufacture. I'd REALLY like to know how he defends that one.
-the pistons are anodized, which is aluminum oxide not "plasma coated chromium"

and then he suggests that chromium and lead are being put back into the extractions somehow.

Using blatant lies in an attempt to promote an extractor which is a ripoff of the Tamisium design suggests an underlying character flaw which should make anyone very wary of dealing with this company.
If this is the depth of knowledge about the engineering of a product, how could you possibly trust the product he is selling?

One of the bulleted selling points is "No Pumps, NO EXPLOSION HAZARD!"
Yet all of the pictures of this unit have a massive unguarded sight glass which again illustrates a profound lack of engineering knowledge of the unit.... That sight glass is a massive explosion hazard.

Anyway JC, just ask him about where he got the data on lead and chromium...

RB

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You might ask to see his ME PE stamped prints and cover letter certifying that his equipment meets ANSI and ASME.

You might ask him if it bothers him to walk in public, now that as many people know he is full of shit, after his list of risibly untruthful pronouncements.

BrainChild

I would ask him why his article doesn't cite sources.

What is his background?

Why not have an open discussion about his article?

I agree with this.

There is a good market for passive systems and I'd love to see some new designs. But this "article" has a lot of holes and would make me wary to do business with xtractix just based on the way this information was presented. Seems they also are trying to tie bhotards blowing themselves up to the use of recovery machines, which I think most of us know it's not closed loopers blowing up...

But I hope they build some good systems

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with this.

There is a good market for passive systems and I'd love to see some new designs. But this "article" has a lot of holes and would make me wary to do business with xtractix just based on the way this information was presented. Seems they also are trying to tie bhotards blowing themselves up to the use of recovery machines, which I think most of us know it's not closed loopers blowing up...

But I hope they build some good systems

Define good system!

They are using a sight glass that won't meet ANSI/ASME in the application.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Modern day snake oil salesman putting out a produce in an emerging market without regard to protection or loss of human life.
Just ask the sorry motherfucker how he sleeps at night. Then kick the pos in the nuts till he pukes shit.

GuyManDude

I'd be interested in seeing more testing on the effect of Butane on the gaskets in question. That does make some sense. I mean, when they started puttying ethanol in gasoline, it did erode the gaskets in our cars. Weak comparison I know, but....

also, I'd like to see the effects of the butane on the tubing used in the extraction recovery machines and what is leached into the butane

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does anyone know how the product works?"

[/FONT]Temperature differences to (cold)flood and (heat)evac the butane through the unit. That beautiful sight glass on the unit can and will fail flooding the immediate area with tane that can and will flash with any heat source. It's an accident designed to happen under the pretense of being safe. You're about as safe as you would be blowing butane through pvc pipe in your living room.
There are systems on the market that do the same but are safely designed,

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd be interested in seeing more testing on the effect of Butane on the gaskets in question. That does make some sense. I mean, when they started puttying ethanol in gasoline, it did erode the gaskets in our cars. Weak comparison I know, but....

also, I'd like to see the effects of the butane on the tubing used in the extraction recovery machines and what is leached into the butane

Using butane in food systems is not a new thang. At this late date, there is a plethoria of information regarding the suitability of Viton and PTFE in butane.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone know how the product works?

It uses passive recovery like the Tamisium and Lil Terp.

No reason visually to think that they don't work as well as the above two originals do, just doesn't meet the ANSI/ASME 3X requirements they do, with the type sight glass used.

The Tamisium and Lil Terp work well within Passive Recovery's possible product range, but are incapable of products like cotton candy shatter, lacking vacuum capabilities.

They are also painfully slow by comparison.

dopecook

Just want to point out that sight glasses work great in low pressure/low temperature extractions. But yah thisI'd like to hear more from this guy before I believe anything he says.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just want to point out that sight glasses work great in low pressure/low temperature extractions. But yah thisI'd like to hear more from this guy before I believe anything he says.

They are handy and we even tried to find a way to make a borosilicate lower tank, but even at 9mm wall and with clear PTFE coating for added strength, we couldn't meet ANSI/ASME 3X requirements for pressure vessels over 15 psi, so we pursued other solutions.

Borosilicate loses strength fast and is more shock sensitive at ultra low temperatures, but as you note, works well enough at the lower pressures experienced with low operating temperatures, or even ambient.

The problem is not will it withstand operating pressure, but whether there is enough safety margin to use in commercial applications, cause shit happens and things go wrong, go wrong, go wrong..........

I know of more than one tubular sight glass that has ruptured for exactly that reason. Two while the operator was standing beside it bullshitting, and one who came back to find it ruptured and the butane in the system gone.

Question you might ask yourself, when considering a design, is has it been certified by an accredited third party ME PE or lab to meet the national standards for pressure vessels over 15 psi, which it is, and if you have your installation inspected, will the fire marshal bless it.

JColtrane

So I regret to inform everyone I failed to make it to this guys party over the weekend. Other than having a lot on my plate this weekend, this guy calls me and ask's to bring d/i, butane, and something to purge. I'm like WTF??? So homeboy is coming down to show his machine, and doesn't bring anything to run it ... sorry don't got time for bull shit. Anyways I feel I wouldn't see eye to eye on anything this guy was saying or selling .... oh well, maybe another day

Last edited: