What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't tell if you have root rot or the brown slime algae, come on in ?!

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
(moved from the slime club thread)

doneit,

Can you get a really close up shot of the funk on the perlite? If you can take it with white lighting so I can make out the truest color of it. I also want to see how it is patterning itself on the perlite. I need to rule in or rule out other fungi. Does it only grow on the perlite? Have you seen it grow anywhere else like on the trays or near the tray drains?

richyrich

Veteran
(moved from the slime club thread)

How about your friend? Can you trust him not to tweak anything?

Is that place convenient to pull everything out of the room, with room to do an intensive cleaning of your grow gear outside of the room, and re-introduce each thing back into the room as it is cleansed?

When you get back, let me know where you get your water. If you get service from a city or county I want to try to look up the most recent water quality report, so I will need to know that too; or, if you want to try to find it if you do not want to reveal too much.

FYI, i'm gonna be firing out questions left and right for a while.

richyrich

Veteran
(moved over from the slime club thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneit

well.. 12 beers later my buddy is optimistic,

as far as cleansing the room it wont be a problem, have already done it a couple times so it will be a walk in the park.
I must tell you that this is not a new game for us, we have been indulged for many yrs, however, we are not arrogant as to not ask for help when needed... if you remember me for who i really am you will know i have ALWAYS serviced the community first, even my newest posts are to help our fellow members achieve the best results possible.
(PM'D my original handle)
I know all that is miniscule, but i think you if any will understand when i ask for help its truly sincere and much appreciated!

I am obviously at a loss in this situation... if you can in any way find a resolution then i am in your debt!

I assure you, we have nothing to loose at your suggestions, by all means bring it on, my bro is excited you are willing to help... thanks again RR

Sorry if im on about it... few beers does that to an old mofo

doneit

Veteran
Damn... late to the party... excited to see the best minds we have dedicated to our needs and woes!

Thanks in advance fellas!!!!!

J ECO

Reading this thread makes me not want to venture any deeper into the world of aero/hydro etc.. Last year I built myself a couple aero cloners, and even tried to take a larger version of an ez cloner type system to flower. The results were not pretty but I did make it to the finish line.

Is this kind of problem frequent in hydro even with organics and teas?

richyrich

Veteran
Damn... late to the party... fucken excited to see the best minds we have dedicated to our needs and woes!

Thanks in advance fellas!!!!!

It's all good. Enjoy the night. You can pick up tomorrow.

When you are reading this today or yesterdays tomorrow, be ready to get a PO Box or use a friends address or something, because I plan on sending you a package weekly through this cycle, and I'm sure you want your privacy.

Since you have stated to be having one narly ass infestation in multiple grow locations, we are not going to let a good opportunity go by, so we are gonna get down with some of the custom microbial tea blends that I have been working on the past few years. Some of them contain things you wouldn't think of. From the sounds of it, you are going to need one kick ass microbial root shield.

These teas are not limited to just the slime. The teas will do the same job with root rot as they do with the slime. Until now it seems, the slime had no rivals in tenacity. This will be interesting because this is the most vicious (suspected thus far) root rot I have ever heard of. You got a mutant strain or something, lol.

I've been working on tea blends strictly for hydro and not soil. Each microbe has its specific job dutie(s). Any ol' tea works with soil, but not so in hydro. A big factor in the customization is the hydroponic media or the lack of it such as DWC.

I became interested in custom blends because enough people over the years have complained that my original tea recipe does not work for them. Are that many people not following simple instructions for brewing tea or do they possibly have some mutant strains of these microbe monsters. I decided some time ago there are mutants among us.

On another note, although I found a way to run sterile and keep the slime and critters away, I prefer beneficial microbes heavily. Why? Because it's well known that the microbes have a symbiotic relationship with the roots and certain beneficial fungi act as extensions to the roots.

Not only does that mean strong, tough, healthy and hardy plants, but extreme yields too because a large root mass equals yield. You know that hour glass analogy. That is why you see such explosive and vibrant roots with my tea recipe. You can't beat the beneficial microbes. They belong with the roots.

doneit, plan on receiving a fresh brew of tea via usps priority mail weekly. the tea is on me.

I multiply individual types of microbes in separate bio reactors and blend them to what I need. I'll be inspecting each tea blend on a slide under my microscope right before I send it out to make sure its where it needs to be.

If your nightmare can't be solved with a custom super tea and the change ups to your grow room at my direction, I have a few other things up my sleeve besides teas. I doubt we will have to even go there though.

Scratch all those questions I shot out earlier. I took a look at your pictures in your album. Don't forget to rehydrate and restore your electrolytes in the morning after the drinking . You'll recover faster. Meanwhile, I'll be researching your mutant bug, planning a strategy for attack, and coming up with directions and instructions.

Be around because I will be having questions.

This should be interesting so pull up a chair icmagers.

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
Reading this thread makes me not want to venture any deeper into the world of aero/hydro etc.. Last year I built myself a couple aero cloners, and even tried to take a larger version of an ez cloner type system to flower. The results were not pretty but I did make it to the finish line.

Is this kind of problem frequent in hydro even with organics and teas?

I think of it as a roll of the dice. Some people never have a problem ever and think the infected are bonkers or suck at growing. Some people get slammed right off the bat. And others go 10 years and then get slammed like doneit.

I can tell you that you can vastly increase your odds of getting slammed by taking clones from friends, mmj shops, etc.. Stick with your own mothers from seed and clone them for your grows for the best odds of not getting slammed.

doneit

Veteran
Wow brother... thats very kind of you!

I cannot expect you to do this for free.. i have absolutely no problem compensating you for your time and materials.. the world just does not work like that anymore.. you figure whats a fair deal and i will make sure your paid in full.

I discussed this plan with my buddy... he has a full grow on as of now.

I assume you are going to want a sterilized room with no diseased plants in it to start, correct?

If that is the case he is about 40 days out and can look for other options if need.

Im glad you have a back up plan if the tes does not work. care to enlighten me on this?

Thanks a million RR

richyrich

Veteran
Wow brother... thats very kind of you!

I cannot expect you to do this for free.. i have absolutely no problem compensating you for your time and materials.. the world just does not work like that anymore.. you figure whats a fair deal and i will make sure your paid in full.

I discussed this plan with my buddy... he has a full grow on as of now.

I assume you are going to want a sterilized room with no diseased plants in it to start, correct?

If that is the case he is about 40 days out and can look for other options if need.

Im glad you have a back up plan if the tes does not work. care to enlighten me on this?

Thanks a million RR

So sad that the world doesn't work that way anymore. In my world it still does. A mature and wise soul will know that the highest of gratification comes from helping others.

Giving simply because it is right to give, without thought of return, at a proper time, in proper circumstances, and to a worthy person, is enlightened giving. Giving with regrets or in the expectation of receiving some favor or of getting something in return, is selfish giving. - Bhagavad Gita 17.20-21

Enlightening beings are magnanimous givers, bestowing whatever they have with equanimity, without regret, without hoping for reward, without seeking honor, without coveting material benefits, but only to rescue and safeguard all living beings. - Garland Sutra 21

It is more blessed to give than to receive. - Acts 20.35

He who gives liberally goes straight to the gods;
on the high ridge of heaven he stands exalted. - Rig Veda 1.125.5

Even when there is no immediate prospect of return, Heaven keeps accounts of giving, and in the end blessing will return to the giver, multiplied manyfold. We must give first; to expect to receive without having given is to violate the universal law.

Correct, the only plants that will be introduced back into the sterilized room will be the clones. They can come from any of your mothers even if they are not in good shape. I'll instruct you on how to sterilize the cuts and clones when we are there.

Your friends room will not provide us any insight on the problem because we would be merely helping a crippled crop to its end assuming its infected. We need everything very controlled in the room from start to finish. Though, we can help him.

I can't reveal my cards yet because I guarantee they will get jacked and taken for profit by the hydro/garden companies. I gave my hydro tea recipe to the community 5 years ago and countless people in numerous websites are taking claim instead of linking people to to og slime club thread where they could find all the info they need to slay their slime problem. Lots of my work in the slime club has been plagiarized all over the place.

All over the place my tea recipe has been going around by the name Heisenberg Tea since 2011. I gave the tea recipe for all to have in 2009. I have found retailers packaging it up and selling it for profit. And all kinds of companies have sprung up taking claim to hydro teas and selling crazy expensive contraptions just to brew tea when you only need a $3 dollar bucket, air stone and air pump.

So, in short I must stay tight lipped for now. I have already given my hydro tea recipe for all to have for free. It has ended up being the most amazing thing ever. I can only imagine how many people's sanity and crops have been saved. At this point, if a profit is to be derived from my last few years of work, then its going to be me, not the companies and the biters. Rant over.

Last edited:

doneit

Veteran
Im really starting to like you bro! lol

We share the same philosophies as well..

I understand completely about your trade secrets, pretty messed up what they did with your formulas to begin with.
Now that you mention it, i had a couple of guys recommend buying the Heisenberg teas from ebay.. fucken plagiarizer! lol

Here is a question..
Do you know of anything in a bomb form that will help kill the spores once the room is cleaned again?
The last couple times i attempted to sterilize a room the disease was back within days, this f$#ker spreads super fast!

I would hate to go threw all of that again with minimal results.

I have no problem bringing fresh cuts to his spot, i will root them there aswell so the your procedure will be applied from day one.

I will tell you this now, if your remedy actually works and fixes this disease i have 4 or 5 investors that will love to start and help promote a company for you!

doneit

Veteran
My buddy ordered Ridomil Gold SL Fungicide last week..
do you know if its worth trying? its about the only one i never tried.lol

richyrich

Veteran
You got to be kidding me, on ebay, lol.

I have walked many paths already and I'm not even middle aged yet. I strive to enrich my spirit and soul and I feel like an old soul already. People will do what people do. If people need to do things as such to fulfill or satisfy something they are lacking that is fine by me. The only part that disturbs me is that people held back information from people needing help only to dish it out little by little as if they were a guru when all the info was already in the slime club thread. And, companies and people trying to profit off a free community asset. In my book that is shady.

Check this out. WTF... and it got a good review, LOL...

http://www.hydrogardencenter.com/diycompostteakit.aspx

1069B Lyell Ave
Rochester NY 14606

Ready and divided into 4 - 2.5 gal. brews (portions). The tea you are buying is ideal for all hydroponics and DWC system. This is a must in DWC (Deep Water Culture). Takes care of slime algae that is caused by our water suppliers! You should use RO Water for best results in DWC! Instructions included to show you how to brew your own in a 5 gal. bucket with an air stone and aquarium air pump!

Product Reviews
Rate This Product:

or Create a Review
(5 Ratings, 1 Review) Average Rating:

Hydroponic problems?
Nikko B. (California) 1/30/2014 3:31 PM
As many DWC hydroponic growers know, algae or slimy residue on your roots is a general no no! I recently noticed that I myself am suffering from this problem. I've heard a lot of good things about tea's and was hesitant to try, but I gave this kit a shot. I honestly cant believe the difference its made to my plants. roots are beautifully white and clean with no issues whatsoever!! i'll definitely be buying more of these 4 brew tea kits. I would even go as far as blessing these guys for this DIY kit!!

doneit

Veteran
I shit you not RR,
Im going to see if i can find the link... he was selling a shit load of it also, got a lot of press from the farm.
Thats pretty messed up, thats almost the same stuff in your pic.. the world we live in huh?

Thats as bad as the guy that ripped off heath robinsons hydro set up, he actually patented it.. i think its called under current or something like that.

Speaking of heath... another one of the greatest mentors the boards have ever seen...
here's a shout out to you brother!

richyrich

Veteran

No, never tried any bombs for spores. Only bombs for spider mites which work awesome. I'll check out that Ridomil Fungicide bomb.

I'm gonna have you throw every way I know how to disinfect and sterilize a room and reduce, remove and kill spores. I'll tell you what I'm gonna try to do tonight. I'm gonna compile an instruction guide with product pix to use for such an issue. If I'm done tonight I will post it here for all to use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I need from you is to answer the following questions in detail and pix if at all possible. You are also going to respond twice to each question.

Your first response, say response A, will be strictly answering from what pertains only to the room you plan on doing this in. Your second response, say response B, will be from any of the other grow rooms.

This way I will know what has been done in the grow room on its own and I will also know everything else you have tried and used.

1. list every way you have tried and the products used to sterilize/clean your room and equipment;

2. list every way you have tried and the products used to treat your clean water supply if you have tried;

3. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your nutrient water while in grow;

4. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your grow rooms incoming air;

5. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your grow rooms outgoing air;

6. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your grow rooms air alone (I'm not talking about incoming or outgoing air, just the air inside the grow room);

7. where does your water supply come from. do you have a well, a local reservoir, the great lakes, etc.?

8. do you have a reverse osmosis system? have you ever used one?

9. what kind of flooring is in the grow room?

10. how are the walls; ie. painted, panda plastic, mylar, etc.?

11. how many rez's are in the grow room you plan on doing this? (only respond once re grow room for this controlled grow)

12. what is the ceiling made from, covered, etc.

13. are you running a sealed room, air cooled lights, air pulled through vent and exhausted with a carbon scrubber, etc.

14. are you running CO2? running any environmental controllers?

15. re the grow room, are there any gaps in walls, the ceiling, missing or no doors, is it split up with panda plastic, etc.? (only respond once re grow room for this controlled grow)

16. is the grow room heated with a heater?

17. is the grow room cooled with A/C?

18. are you running a dehumidifier?

19. do you have positive or negative air pressure in the grow room?

I'll have more questions to come later on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

richyrich

Veteran
That's why I like soil. Less work, and I think just as good.

I've grown all methods. One thing about hydro though is the ease of its plug and play aspect. And, the speed of growth and the yields are phenomenal when all things in a hydro grow are dialed in.

richyrich

Veteran
I shit you not RR,
Im going to see if i can find the link... he was selling a shit load of it also, got a lot of press from the farm.
Thats pretty messed up, thats almost the same stuff in your pic.. the world we live in huh?

Thats as bad as the guy that ripped off heath robinsons hydro set up, he actually patented it.. i think its called under current or something like that.

Speaking of heath... another one of the greatest mentors the boards have ever seen...
here's a shout out to you brother!

Yep, snakes in the grass everywhere. So many just can't find a path towards the light.

Actually the hydro shop is short changing them. The recipe they are selling is incomplete.

My original hydro richyrich tea recipe is as follows:

- put 4 gallons of RO water or bottled water in a 5 gallon bucket.
- 2 to 3 handfuls of earth worm castings or Ancient Forest which is even better or go for a mix of both.
- 25mL of liquid carbo load or molasses per 24 hours of planned brew time / as an alternative 1tsp of powder carbo load or brown cane sugar per 24 hours of planned brew time
- 1/2 to 1 scoop of ZHO
- 1/2 to 1 scoop of Great White
- 5mL of Root Excelurator
- 30 to 100mL of Aquashield

That shop is short changing them the ZHO and the root excel. Probably because those are the two priciest products in the list. The one bottle in their pic not on my list is just a sugar product. Any sugar product works.

I know its my recipe when its says use Ancient Forest, and especially along with great white. Nobody had ever thought to use Ancient Forest in a tea until I came along with my strictly hydro tea. It was always strictly EWCs for a compost tea. Nor had I heard of anyone use either of those products for anything. I should of bought stock in the companies, especially re the Physan20. Hydro/grow stores didn't even carry Physan20 before. I had to buy my first bottle at Armstrong garden center. I couldn't find it anywhere. Nowadays, its everywhere. My boys shop sells loads of it.

Last edited:

doneit

Veteran
1. list every way you have tried and the products used to sterilize/clean your room and equipment;
A. cleaned the rooms thoroughly with bleach, soaked all equipment in physan, hoods and such were sprayed down with physan sulfur burner. some of the products used.
picture.php

2. list every way you have tried and the products used to treat your clean water supply if you have tried;
A. I have tried RO, bleach, pool shock, UV, Zone. the local tap water has .4ppm chlorine out of the tap. UV light on rooms main water source.
picture.php

3. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your nutrient water while in grow;
A. Going to be hard to remember them all.. can i just all of them? lol
Bleach, pool shock,Zone, Ona A&B, physan, peroxide, alliette, 10 different fungicides, uv, great white, hydrofungicide, im sure i missed some.

4. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your grow rooms incoming air;
A: heppa furnace filters, sulfur burner.

5. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your grow rooms outgoing air;
A: charcoal scrubber

6. list every way you have tried to and the products used to treat your grow rooms air alone (I'm not talking about incoming or outgoing air, just the air inside the grow room);
A: stand alone scrubbers, sulfur burner

7. where does your water supply come from. do you have a well, a local reservoir, the great lakes, etc.?
A: Local water source, tap.. have good RO also, but have not been using them

8. do you have a reverse osmosis system? have you ever used one?
A: Yes

9. what kind of flooring is in the grow room?
A: Concrete... its an underground bunker

10. how are the walls; ie. painted, panda plastic, mylar, etc.?
A: Concrete wit refectix, this is the spray foam insulation, it sealed the whole structure up and is very porous.
I have SOAKED it with Physan before
picture.php

11. how many rez's are in the grow room you plan on doing this? (only respond once re grow room for this controlled grow)
A: 1, either 50 or 100 gallon

12. what is the ceiling made from, covered, etc.
A: bare lumber, spray foam

13. are you running a sealed room, air cooled lights, air pulled through vent and exhausted with a carbon scrubber, etc.
A: Non sealed, no co2, exhausted with scrubber

14. are you running CO2? running any environmental controllers?
A: No

15. re the grow room, are there any gaps in walls, the ceiling, missing or no doors, is it split up with panda plastic, etc.? (only respond once re grow room for this controlled grow)
A: There are 3 separate rooms, one for moms, veg and flower

16. is the grow room heated with a heater?
A: Yes, oil filled radiator
17. is the grow room cooled with A/C?
A: yes, central air

18. are you running a dehumidifier?
A: if needed

19. do you have positive or negative air pressure in the grow room?
A: More positive, slower in winter months

Snype

Veteran
I noticed that doneit's water has 0.4 PPM chlorine in it. That could be one of the problems. Like I said before, I had Chlorine Resistant Cyanobacteria in my tap water. My tap had very low levels of Chlorine just like yours. I'm not saying that you are fighting Cyanobacteria so don't take this the wrong way. What I'm saying is that what you have may be resistant to Chlorine because of how low of a level that your water source treats your water. If that's true then physan20 and those Chlorine products won't do anything to combat the problem. I'm just stating this so richyrich and you can take everything into account to try and solve your problems as fast as possible. I don't think he has personally seen Chlorine Resistant Issues. Good luck!

richyrich

Veteran
doneit,

Alrighty...

More questions.

1. How exactly are those rooms divided. I'm sure they exchange the same air, do they?

2. Is there an A/C vent, heating vent, or any other vent directly into any part of the entire grow room (mother, veg and bloom)?

3. How old is the charcoal filter?

4. How old is the bulb in the inline UV filter? Have you checked to see if the bulb still works?

5. How old is the RO Unit itself? How many stages is it? List what each stage is?

6. When is the last time you changed just the RO membrane in the unit?

7. When is the last time you changed the other filters?

8. When is the last time you broke down the entire RO unit, bleached it, and re-assembled?

9. Do you have booster pump for the RO unit?

10. Where do you store the RO water until you have enough for you rez or later use?

11. Have you ever tried an ozone generator to treat the grow room air?

12. Have you ever tried a free standing inline fan (eg. vortex, etc.) attached to a UV Sterilizing unit for air?

13. Which way did you have the fan going with the charcoal filter when treating just the air; blowing into or out of the filter?

Latest posts

Latest posts