What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering.... trimming fan leaves off....leaving fan leaves on

vapedg13

Veteran
growing 30 plants of pre98 bubba....6 have had alot of fan leaves removed.... the rest we have left all the fan leaves on.

This is a side by side to see if there is a noticeable difference in bud size, density, or final product.

Here is the pre98 with all leaves still on with 3 weeks left of flower

006-32.jpg

Heres the pre98 all trimmed with alot less leaf.. trimmed at onset

005-40.jpg

.................Heres side by side

002-60.jpg

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
This is great! Im sure theyre out there, but a side-by-side like this is awesome to see.

Are they clones or from seed? Because thatll make a difference.

Thanks for posting this experiment.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice work vapedg13, glad see your trial, looks pretty similar to me, hope you follow up w harvest pics wet weight and dry weight of each plant.

vapedg13

Veteran
Nice.
So... what's your conclusion?

so far the buds look the same size... harvesting around the 5th

This is great! Im sure theyre out there, but a side-by-side like this is awesome to see.

Are they clones or from seed? Because thatll make a difference.

Thanks for posting this experiment.

These are clones... Ive been growin the pre98 bubba for years...

Feel free to post pictures if anyone has more ....

nice work vapedg13, glad see your trial, looks pretty similar to me, hope you follow up w harvest pics wet weight and dry weight of each plant.

thanks....im going to grab 6 healthy plants with leaves to compair bud size and total wieght against the 6 without

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
It's hard to tell in those pictures. The scale will answer this great question.

-Funk

groovee

Just pulling the fans is not the trick, you must supplement various nutes in your feed to accommodate the stored nutes that were in the leaves.

There are lots of variables to consider when doing this, I personally did not have great success with bubba and stripping.

The plants should be very healthy also, if not, you will see compounded problems that were already present, which in turn will hurt over all quality/yield in the end.

A lot of people have tried this method and failed because they were not properly experienced. you MUST know the strain, and what it needs before you just pull the fans off.

Just my 2 cents, good luck!

guy fawkes

Veteran
my moneys on the trimmed plant, nice thread

though tbh i dont trim as much just the lower and a few from round the middle to let the light in.. maybe add a semi trimmed next time??

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Good work on this side by side. Waiting for the scales to see whats what. Nice grow btw.

OLDproLg

Veteran
Lets really see?

Finish this,lots of folks are watching...
Way more pics are needed please?
Good start anyway!

Jbonez

Veteran
Great thread, I jumped on the defoliation bandwagon and havent looked back yet.. My chemD is ballin out from all the new sites created in veg by pullin leaves..

Really wanna start pulling them after the stretch so the light penetrates through for the swell..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you pluck em after the stretch was done? I always wait a couple weeks after flip before taking any.

the gnome

Veteran
Pulling leaves is against the plant evolution.

My money is on the normal plant.

the genetics and evolution provides for survival and perpetuation of the species, losing fans doesn't go against this imo

i defoliate and do quite well, of course and again, strain dependent is key
whatever the outcome of this side by side isn't a norm for all other strains
some benefit
others won't
and some may have negative effects from a heavy defo

Latest posts

Latest posts