What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damaged plants from Broad ,cyclamen,Russet Mites

Cabron

Veteran
how do you add the aspirin? do you just crush up a pill or is there a liquid solution? add to roots, or foliar spray?

higher quality aspirin like Bayer don't have as many bullshit fillers in them as generic..
so with that in mind I drop a few in my spray bottle and shake the
snot out of em until they are dissolved and spray away ...

I'm also an avid aspirin foliar sprayer ....

Cabron

Veteran
What are the chances of pests developing a resistance to Avid? In terms of producing clean meds, at what point are you using a product like that as I'm used to more organic approaches that really just slow pests down instead of eradicating them.

I personally have yet to see a mite live after avid myself..

my fresh cuts and moms get a regular dose of avid now every other week...

none once they enter flower ,,,I veg for up to 45 days as I grow larger plants meds in my greenhouse..

RetroGrow

Veteran
how do you add the aspirin? do you just crush up a pill or is there a liquid solution? add to roots, or foliar spray?

Just saw this so am responding late. I have found that drench works better than foliar. Just add one 325 MG of regular (not coated) aspirin to each gallon of nute solution, and continue throughout grow. No negative effects on plants at all. They will perk up overnight, as immune system goes into overdrive, fighting off whatever is attacking them.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
idk if i may have mentiond this somewhere or not but; aloe has the same benefits as aspirin +

just squeeze some fresh from a chunk of aloe and water w/ it or foliar right away
{fresh=best}

S

SeaMaiden

idk if i may have mentiond this somewhere or not but; aloe has the same benefits as aspirin +

just squeeze some fresh from a chunk of aloe and water w/ it or foliar right away
{fresh=best}

Amounts? And, does species of aloe matter? I have what I realized the other day is a 40yo aloe vera, still sprouting pups all over the place, but I only keep her mostly for burns and such. If it's feasible to use on a larger scale, then I'll consider it. Otherwise, I have to say that a bottle of aspirin goes a LONG way when you're feeding and watering stuff by the tens of gallons, and goes a long way towards convenience.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Amounts? And, does species of aloe matter? I have what I realized the other day is a 40yo aloe vera, still sprouting pups all over the place, but I only keep her mostly for burns and such. If it's feasible to use on a larger scale, then I'll consider it. Otherwise, I have to say that a bottle of aspirin goes a LONG way when you're feeding and watering stuff by the tens of gallons, and goes a long way towards convenience.

Aloe may be benficial to plants, but it is not the same as aspirin at all. Aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid. Plants contain salicylic acid. The aspirin boosts plants natural immune system.
" Rebecca Brown, professor of plant sciences at the University of Rhode Island, replies: Although the complete effects of treating plants with an aspirin-water solution are unknown, studies have shown that applying salicylic acid (aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid) to plants can induce resistance to pathogens, environmental stresses, and some insects. This protection should allow the plants to grow more vigorously. Under extremely stressful conditions or those highly favorable to the growth of diseases, however, salicylic acid may not prevent all damage from stress or disease. Salicylic acid is a naturally occurring compound in plants. When a plant is stressed or attacked by a pathogen, this compound stimulates the plant’s internal defense pathways. Treating a plant with additional salicylic acid appears to trigger the plant’s defense pathways in the same way."
http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/qa/aspirin-cures-plant-headaches.aspx
Also, if you do a bit of Googling,there is nothing that says aloe benefits plants, cannabis or otherwise. It's a beneficial plant, but not to other plants.

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
seamaiden barbadensis i use from 1 tsp to 1 TBS per gallon of water ~i dont measure it

but the lighter side of the scale would be for foliars and seedlings w/ the higher dosage going to mature plants in their water

all you have to do is foliar some plants or water w/ it once and you know it makes a difference

FTM; aloe responds well to it as well ~freakin' cannibal!

S

SeaMaiden

Retro, appreciate that bit. I'm not willing to say that just because there's nothing out there that says aloe is beneficial means it isn't. I'm sure there are other compounds in aloe that aren't in willow/aspirin as well. I am definitely willing to give its use a try and see what happens. Just as I do with pretty much everything, because you never know what you may discover!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think about jaykush advocating 'plant based amendments' {defo among others} and aloe is exactly that ~and you want to apply it fresh! no hassles{no need to make FPE}; squeeze a little glop of aloe goo from a filet into your water can and pour it on ~use a little less for foliars

all you have to do is foliar some plants or water w/ it once and you know it makes a difference

salicylic acid is just the tip of the iceberg; aloe is fertilizer too

RetroGrow

Veteran
Retro, appreciate that bit. I'm not willing to say that just because there's nothing out there that says aloe is beneficial means it isn't. I'm sure there are other compounds in aloe that aren't in willow/aspirin as well. I am definitely willing to give its use a try and see what happens. Just as I do with pretty much everything, because you never know what you may discover!

Be my guest. But.......if there were benefits, farmers, gardeners, greenhouses, nurseries, etc., would be using it, but they aren't. I can't find a single piece of research supporting this, although I do know that in many cases, just spraying plants with water perks them up. Call me a skeptic if you will, as that's the scientific method. Skeptical until proven. OTOH, aspirin is proven. There is science behind it, and, in addition, I and generations of gardeners have seen it work. I do not believe aloe helps cannabis. There, I said it. So prove me wrong.......:tiphat:
You can be our guinea pig. Maybe you'll get written up in the scientific literature. Just remember the placebo effect IS real......

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe you should try it for yourself retro?

you cant just read and learn w/ this kind of thing you have to apply your own experience too ~lol; its like martial arts in that if you study martial arts from a book; you might not do so well in your MMA match

that can be colored as well though ~plenty of growers spending $80+ for a pint bottle w/ 15 cents worth of nutes in it {it works dude!}

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

Be my guest. But.......if there were benefits, farmers, gardeners, greenhouses, nurseries, etc., would be using it, but they aren't. I can't find a single piece of research supporting this, although I do know that in many cases, just spraying plants with water perks them up. Call me a skeptic if you will, as that's the scientific method. Skeptical until proven. OTOH, aspirin is proven. There is science behind it, and, in addition, I and generations of gardeners have seen it work. I do not believe aloe helps cannabis. There, I said it. So prove me wrong.......:tiphat:
You can be our guinea pig. Maybe you'll get written up in the scientific literature. Just remember the placebo effect IS real......

Is it real or effective on other organisms, though? Also, don't forget that much science and research begins with anecdotal evidence.

Conventional farmers do what's easy and what they're told they need to do. That's why everything has herbicides on and in it. That doesn't necessarily make it the better way to do things, though, at least not in my opinion. Of course, scale has something to do with it, but we all know agave can easily be grown at quite some scale, and aloe's been being used for years, so, who knows?

I do also use aspirin, and it is absolutely convenient to drop some tablets into the mix. I'm just keeping my mind open to other possibilities. :)

RetroGrow

Veteran
Is it real or effective on other organisms, though? Also, don't forget that much science and research begins with anecdotal evidence.

Conventional farmers do what's easy and what they're told they need to do. That's why everything has herbicides on and in it. That doesn't necessarily make it the better way to do things, though, at least not in my opinion. Of course, scale has something to do with it, but we all know agave can easily be grown at quite some scale, and aloe's been being used for years, so, who knows?

I do also use aspirin, and it is absolutely convenient to drop some tablets into the mix. I'm just keeping my mind open to other possibilities. :)

I'm not knocking you. Just saying, I think aloe vera has no effect on plant growth/health whatsoever. Aspirin was anecdotal until it was proven. Your grandmother probably used it. Let's just say I'm from Missouri.....:)
Not a word about it on Google. I'm pretty sure if there was anything to it, it would be written up somewhere......:tiphat:

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Take a fresh aloe frond and fillet it. Scoop out the pulp and homogenize in some good water. Add a tsp-TBL of that to a spray bottle also filled with good water. Spray your plants before lights out while observing their appearance and let us know how they appear an hour or two after lights come on the next day. Mine are usually praying after a treatment (once every week or two).

Use your fresh aloe quickly (within the hour) as pH drops are not uncommon.

RetroGrow

Veteran
But you can get that effect with a plain water spray too, in my experience. I will have to try it though, side by side. Plain water vs. aloe.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
I feel your pain brother. Nothing to sap your spirits like watching your babies either and die. Glad u got it fixed the plants are bouncing back nicely. I had root aphids a while back and it was annoying to get rid of them! Found my new kill spray, if u have them again try Nuke'em by the flying skull, stuffs way safer to use than avid! Works on spider mites, broad mites, root aphids and anything else I've tried it on.

Sea maiden, I can't speak for aloe being a pesticide, but the saponins in them makes the plants extremely happy.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
retro i dont mean to imply an argument and i m not mad nor do i think badly about your perspective ~i would just like to encourage you to try it {urhumblnr8or's instructions are right on}

there just is no more to say; it works {citations or no}

sneaky g i would not feel uncomfortable spraying a flowering plant w/ aloe ~tho; i would avoid the flowers w/ any foliar application & you can just water some in ~little goes a long ways

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

can you foliar with teh aspirin spray 18 days into flower? i'm fighting the dreaded RA ..

retro i dont mean to imply an argument and i m not mad nor do i think badly about your perspective ~i would just like to encourage you to try it {urhumblnr8or's instructions are right on}

there just is no more to say; it works {citations or no}

sneaky g i would not feel uncomfortable spraying a flowering plant w/ aloe ~tho; i would avoid the flowers w/ any foliar application & you can just water some in ~little goes a long ways

Ah! Now see, I'm the opposite mindset. Just because the plant is flowering doesn't mean I can't use many of the same things on it. When it's late in flower is when I begin to shift that paradigm.

Sneaky, if you've got root aphids, you're going to have a tough row to hoe. You've got a positive diagnosis, they're almost a month into flower, do you have a plan of attack & treatment?