What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damaged plants from Broad ,cyclamen,Russet Mites

Cabron

Veteran
picture.php

Leaves take on a leather and rubber type texture and look ....

picture.php

Cabron

Veteran
picture.php

This may be the first sign you notice ....

It had me checking relative humidity in my room ..
65% it was all good..

here's my Sour D cut as she is healthy ....

picture.php

aligee

Veteran
Congrats on saving your girls!!! i WON the battle with rosemary & cinnemon oil!!! your pics are dead on what I experienced ..i had new growth shooting out within a week!!! no reoccurance of them bastards + a vigilant pest regimen from hear on out in my stable!!!

Cabron

Veteran
Congrats on saving your girls!!! i WON the battle with rosemary & cinnemon oil!!! your pics are dead on what I experienced ..i had new growth shooting out within a week!!! no reoccurance of them bastards + a vigilant pest regimen from hear on out in my stable!!!

hey great to hear Ali ,hope you can keep it at bay my man !

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
excellent documentation and photos. thanks for posting this. they had me thinking my soil was way off or something. hit once with avid and things looked 1000% better.

S

SeaMaiden

I pray to God I never experience either ailment (mosaic virus or these damned bugs!), but if I should, it's threads like these that help me solve the problem.

I missed what you're talking about in the other thread, won't go back to look, but I can say that I was there two years and a few grows ago with root aphids. This poor gal kept telling me, "Root aphids, root aphids, root aphids!" and I told her she had bugs in her eyes. I ate my words, I did! But eating my words of humble pie allowed me to solve my problem, with her help, so it all turned out in the end.

Primate

Wow there is hope :)

Wow there is hope :)

Hey Aligee. Did the cyclamen mite return after the rosemary and cinnamon oil treatment? Looking at using Envidor or Abamectin but it's nasty nasty stuff. Just wondering if you have an update almost 2 weeks after your post. Is everything still fine?

Glad to see people coming right as i was strongly considering culling everything i have and starting over as it is seemingly one of the worst pests. Rose society for example recommend cull everything and don't propagate anything for 6 months. Also i read somewhere that the females can hibernate for up to 6 months until there is something suitable to feed on. Sounds scary!!!

This would be the end of me!!!!

But there is a silver lining on this mitey cloud :dance013

-|THANKS FOR THE THREAD CABRON|-

RetroGrow

Veteran
Before I knew what these were, I used aspirin and it helped quite a bit. Boosting the plants immune system apparently helps fight off the effects of the toxins they inject into the plant. 325 Mg regular aspirin per gallon, and can be use as a foliar spray also.

the gnome

Veteran
sorry you and your plants had to go through the experience of broad mites.
you did the right thing and went straight for the avid.
1 application in my case and it was all over for those spawn of satan!

at least its now documented and people know whats going on.
I battle these invisible agents of destruction for nearly a year before I knew what i was even up against! I lost a years worth of grow to these bastids!

they will take down an entire crop in less than 14 days if nothing is done.
but once they are hit with avid the rebound is amazing!
depending on the damage in no time they are back and thriving!!

thanks for posting cabron, hoping peeps read this and recognize the symptoms as soon as they appear.
I also thought I had mosaic or some type of virus,
then I saw a pic on a yahoo image search and it was a plant that had definite broad mite damage but they said it was hemp streak virus, mistakenly.

Cabron

Veteran
Ok Time for an update ..
I have a very nice lil greenhouse for myself and patients
I of course was not about to blast my meds with avid so
I have some pics to share of Mature plants and the damage
from what I have now verified as Russet mites ..

These are some voracious and tenacious lil bastards ..

I'll show you some pics of the same plant

healthy flowers and close by on the same branch but lower
towards the meristem where they originally invade each branch
from it will have damage incrementally as they progress from flower to flower .

Note that they don't harm fan leaves directly ,focusing on
pistillate material..

This is a sure way to diagnose these bastards,,

picture.php

picture.php

Cabron

Veteran
The tell tale brown to tan discoloration of the flowers
are also an evident sign 100% of the time.

picture.php

Cabron

Veteran
A prime example of the progression captured in a pic..

Healthy material on the end not yet affected by the migrating
horde..

picture.php

Cabron

Veteran
As they penetrate the plant's cuticle they also inject a toxin
to help break down plant tissue and allow them to ingest the
material ,a digestive action.

It's this toxic bite that accumulates and causes the plant's growth
regulatory system to go into a stasis or shock.

stress is then pronounced as is THC production halted with floral
maturation .

This death of the cell tissue also turns a brown and is noticed by
visual inspection.

Your flowers will be dry and void of any quality that we strive for.

picture.php

Cabron

Veteran
I've ordered a 200x quality usb microscope I hope to have here soon
I can take some stills ..but then again I have every intention of having
the material with these lil bastards on the burn pile out back soon as well.

This is what I see when I look through my pocket scope.
100x

Attachments

• bm.jpg
    bm.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 54

RetroGrow

Veteran
As they penetrate the plant's cuticle they also inject a toxin
to help break down plant tissue and allow them to ingest the
material ,a digestive action.

It's this toxic bite that accumulates and causes the plant's growth
regulatory system to go into a stasis or shock.

stress is then pronounced as is THC production halted with floral
maturation .

This death of the cell tissue also turns a brown and is noticed by
visual inspection.

Your flowers will be dry and void of any quality that we strive for.

View Image

The damaging toxins are negated to a large extent by aspirin. In my 3 year battle with cyclamen mites, I noticed that if I fed with aspirin solution (325 Mg. Per gallon), the visible damage would reverse and disappear almost immediately. Noticeable difference overnight. Aspirin won't kill mites, but does mitigate the damage from the toxins to a large extent. Plants that were browning and stunted with twisted "growth", went back to "normal" after aspirin treatment. I observed this over and over. By the way, I may have been the first person to post pictures of plants attacked by these bastards. Three times, I posted in the infirmary, and no one got it right for all that time. Now when I see the damage, it's the first thing I think of. It's a good thing that the cause is now known, and that we know it isn't an incurable, highly contagious virus, which was my original conclusion. Three years of hell, but the aspirin helped to bring most of them to harvest with minimal damage. Go with aspirin in your food/water application, and you will notice a huge difference. Then commence to killing those bastards. I recommend the heat treatment as an alternative/adjunct to chems.
Aspirin is your friend. I use it automatically now on all plants, whether or not they show any symptoms of anything.

coastal

Avid, forbid, and conserve sc saved me from these things.... thank you cabron for documenting what people need to be looking for. The broad mite thread is long and hard to navigate...

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how do you add the aspirin? do you just crush up a pill or is there a liquid solution? add to roots, or foliar spray?

Homebrewer

Veteran
What are the chances of pests developing a resistance to Avid? In terms of producing clean meds, at what point are you using a product like that as I'm used to more organic approaches that really just slow pests down instead of eradicating them.