What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$1.00 BHO extractor that works!

Fear

Someone messaged me the idea to try a glass bottle, since they didn't like me showing people how to use an extractor made out of plastic. I was going to try it in a 40 bottle but now I just thought about using a large Mason jar. This will be brilliant. Hopefully the glass can handle the freezing temps. Might not be able to....Hmmm guess we will see if it works today.

Fear

you want a skinny tube for good extracting, not a mason jar.

:tiphat: Phew thought I was in trouble seeing a post from you, LOL. Appreciate saving me from waisting my time with that mason jar. I'll try a wine bottle then haha. I have an extra half pound to try a few things out. I'm bored. :thank you: I'm taking all suggestions. I will be making a tube with pressure release valve up top and another valve to remove the liquid butane. My buddy is getting me a bunch of scrap stainless tubing in different diameters from plumbing school.

dope_roor

nice! picking up hitchhikers sounds scary lol

i've done something similar by punching a hole on the metal lid of a mason jar to spray butane thru, done the shake and spray back onto glass. hotel mcguyver haha to be safe i had my mason jar submerged in the ice bucket and kept my finger over the injection hole while shaking. you're right the pressure buildup is great enough that it just sprays out by itself when you uncover the hole

definitely not optimal, but i had no bho and it did the trick.

jump117

Veteran
thermo insulation is needed for longer and safety wash. the best is thermos flask. butane does not evaporate from a thermos.

Fear

Sure I understand the thermos is a great idea keeping the fluid really cold. I am just messing around with cheap and easy ways to do it. That produce more than my usual 2 can quick washes.

Fear

You know when you can just tell it will be ok? I was going North and he was heading to Ukiah from the golden gate bridge. I thought shit he looks like he smokes weed so I stopped ended up giving me some stone sneak a toke thats stronger than glass.

here is that wine bottle experiment since alot of you were upset over plastic. Here are a few pics I did not include all the steps.

It produced 3.1g's of this blond wax. I used 1 oz. of some bullshit clubs version of "Blue Dream" and 1 can of Butane. Drilled 2 holes in the cork and a wine bottle.

Onepunchko

I have a broken bong I was thinking of making into a extractor, what would be the best thing to use for a plug that wont leave any weird odors?

mrdizzle

does anyone actually know if a 2liter bottle is toxic? similar properties are held in plastic , ie iso alcohol comes in plastic so I really wonder, I like the idead of being able to do a grip in one run

r1rider

Well i know that the oil in the butane sticks to the sides of plastic containers like shit to a blanket, but saying that, he can always wash out the insides of the bottle with alcohol to get it all out, i just hate wasting anything.

r1

Fear

A friend of mine in England made his bho using a vodka bottle and made wax for his first time ever. So easy a chimp could do it.

jump117

Veteran
Hey Fear!
~10 gram of undeveloped buds were frozen in 600 ml PET bottle 32 mm throat
and sprayed with 250 ml of frozen "London" butane to wash for 30 minutes.

>>>

Effects of solvents does not change the appearance and elasticity of PET bottle,
which may well serve as a container for freezing and storage, and extractor.
:thank you:

KonradZuse

So a few things.

1. Are the plastics safe? I know they are food grade, but have they been tested with a butane reaction chart or any tests?

2. How much pressure can this handle? I would think the butane would create a ton of pressure, but so does the CO2 inside the soda, even when you shake it crazy. Can you explode this bottle?

I'm just trying to see the safeness. I've wanted to find something to be able to soak in butane, instead of buying a tamisium, but I don't want to kill myself, or hurt myself in any way doing this. Of course I'll be outside :p.

I'm really interested in more info, thanks for the thread Fear!

jump117

Veteran
Are the plastics safe?
PET has good resistance to butane but exactly how good is hard to know without technical data beyond the scope of most chemical resistance charts.
Scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page for butane.
http://www.plasticseurope.org/Docum...hemicalResistanceofPET-20050303-003-EN-v1.pdf
Can you explode this bottle?
bottle is not corked tightly and the excess pressure is not formed,
the liquid butane is poured from a bottle into a funnel with a coffee filter in the same way as any other solvent.
During the extraction butane is shaken and stirred as often as possible because,
unlike the tubular extractor, there does not appear movement of the solvent under pressure.

No squeezing used. Better thermo-insulation is needed.
I've wanted to find something to be able to soak in butane, instead of buying a tamisium
The closest upgrade of this extractor is thermos flask, just a little more expensive but allows the longer wash :wave:
Buy a thermos flask. :wave:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check you local Goodwill store. Ours has shelves of stainless thermos flasks for a couple bucks apiece.