What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$1.00 BHO extractor that works!

Fear

Check this, I picked up a hitch hiker in SF on my way up North Mendo. Anyways he mentions this way he extracts. I finally tried it and here it is.

2 Liter friggin bottle! not only can in handle the pressure it is food grade. Anyways get this, with a simple modification I made I think I simplified things.
1. Drill (or melt) 2 holes in the 2 Liter bottle cap like this.

2. Fill 2 Liter with trim or ground bud (not sure on perfect amount yet) I used two oz. of trim and small buds from my hindu skunk.

3. Put cap back on the 2 Liter and fill with butane using smaller hole leaving larger hole vacant to let excess pressure and gas to escape. (Vector or any other premium refined butane) Here is a pick of bottle filled. Can understand why I didn't photo while I was filling. :)

After removing cap with holes and replacing with a brand new cap without holes. I then start to shake vigourously removing cap to release pressure of evaporating gas periodically and no longer than 30 seconds. It's cold outside now but the warmer it is the faster pressure will build up. Understand, USE EXTREME CAUTION DON'T BE STUPID NO SMOKING NO MOTORS NO NOTHING FLAMMABLE CAUTION!
Then easy enough I removed the cap with no hole and used a damp cofee filter and 1 rubber band to hold it on to filter and seperate butane/oil and weed. Pressure building up inside bottle will help the extraction process no need to squeeze the bottle at all.

jump117

Veteran
The closest upgrade of this extractor is thermos flask, just a little more expensive but allows the longer wash :wave:

Fear

After 4 cans, should of used 3 first. Next you drain the liquid into what I prefer a pyrex bowl.

Then you bring out a what was boiling pot of water and set it next to the bowl and then set the bowl on top of the pot with the hot water touching the bottom of the bowl. Sot of double boiling. This is called purging. There is no stove and no fire around me as I do this, no bong, no joint, cigarette you know what I mean. Just because your stove is electric doesn't mean you won't blow up. It's called a flash point stupid. This is right after i put it on the pot of boiling water.

This is 1 minute after.

10 min. later.

Now it's safe to take it to the stove to reheat/purge as long as you don't see any liquid butane you or ok but to be safe lets just wait 20 min.

Then it turns into wax or oil depending on the strain. This is wet.

Dry, just like little oily crack rocks. Nice and dry and handleable. Light this shit up and you are ready to fly within an hour.

That's it for now I will try it again with blue dream buds im going to grind up 6 oz. of hard dense buds I will show you pictures don't worry.

Fear

The closest upgrade of this extractor is thermos flask, just a little more expensive but allows the longer wash :wave:

You can wash it a long time with this method. I put 30 seconds so people don't blow up. If you have experience you will know how long you can shake before you release the cap. Thanks for the suggestion.

BongRipkenJR.

Plastics shouldn't be used. A stainless steal turkey baster works best. I know it doesn't do a lot, but you want something that is food grade and not plastic.

Also, that power butane is garbage! That shit has hella chemicals other than butane in it. I have ran side by side experiments with Colibri, Vector(the new formula), Older Vector, and Power. I still have a case of power I will not use because it transfers its skunk smell to the wax. The old vector was ok, but still had a slight tinge to it no matter what strain I used. Now the new vector had no smell, but the terpines from the herb seemed to be destroyed and terpines are medicinal as well. Now the Colibri was amazing! The product was pure! No argon or nitrogen or any methyl something or another bullshit. The grape krush smelled like grape krush and came out with a beautiful texture. I noticed the power allowed various strains to wax up a lot easier, but that seems to be a sign of impurity. The colibri allowed the BHO to become a perfectly clear amber that reminded me of jelly when it warms up, but when kept cool it would be hard as a rock. Colibri also takes way less time to purge. The vector and power took about 3 months before it was smokeable, but would still give a crackle. The Colibri was burning clean after a week. Look up "Near Zero Impurities Butane" and save your health.

jd4083

Veteran
Uhhhh....BHO from a 2 liter bottle? 3 months for a purge? Am I in the twilight zone?

Str8Dank

i am also aginst the use of plastic personally. if you're willing to invest another $8 i can get you into a all stainless setup with legs :) here is a copy and paste of a DIY i did a while go. hope you dont mind me posting this here with all the numerous plastic leaching concerns that exist in using anything but glass or stainless. if ya want me to pm i'll remove it.

Stainless Steel Turkey Baster - $6.99
3 bolts (Lowes) - $0.60
2 clamps hose clamps (Lowes) - $1.50

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x575.
Click the image to open in full size.

find a piece of screen and a coffee filter.

* this has legs so you dont have to hold it
* holds roughly 20 grams
* put together in 5 minutes

Click this bar to view the full image.
Click the image to open in full size.

everyone knows about the Bed Bath and Beyond turkey basters and i heard they were back in stock due to the season so i had to pick one up. i've never made BHO before so i figured I'd give it a shot. the 3 bolts i just bent the threaded tip so it was at a roughly 45 degree angle so the legs would not point straight down that way they did not interfere with packing or removing the plant material.

the hardest part was trying to put the clamp on with the three legs. i ended up taping each leg in place one at a time then putting the clamp on. the tape is ugly but whatever it worked i only have two hands.

attachment.php

NOTE: before you do this use some pliers and make sure that injector tip is on the baster REALLY TIGHT. i did my run hand tight and butane was squirting out at the seams.

i packed 20 grams of some OOOOOOLLLLD ass mids (i had no trim at the house and was not risking bud on my first run) into the tube. i packed it really tight. i had no idea what to expect i ran one tube of tane through here but like i said i didn't have the tip tight enough so a good deal just squirted out the side. here is some of my first result I'll be trying this over the weekend.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bho1.jpg
    bho1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 87
  • bho2.jpg
    bho2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 150

5FingrdSloth

yeah this is bad man..nevermind the chem reaction with that plastic, but I wouldn't think it would stand up to much more pressure before the container walls catastrophicly(sp?) fail, causing an explosion of sorts.

Fear

3 months for a purge who said that? It's Done purging when it doesn't bubble up. Says in 1 hour you can smoke and 2 Liter bottle is food grade and can handle more pressure than you KNOW!!!!!!!!! I was finished in 45minutes. Chemical reactions are you a scientist? No Reaction. Do you know coca cola can dissolve a penny? How does it last so long in these 2 Liters?

Fear

I like your tri-pod bro. AlsoI have tried many methods also. Okief, Copper I still use. There are people who use pvc this is way better than pvc.

BongRipkenJR.

Uhhhh....BHO from a 2 liter bottle? 3 months for a purge? Am I in the twilight zone?

I do a natural purge. I let it sit for a couple weeks in the glass container and then it is easier to get all of the oil. Then when it is in the containers I store them in I burp the containers several times a day for a few months. BHO used to be a way I made a decent amount of money. Clubs would pay $30-35 a gram and buy it by the ounce.

Fear

Assuming that the diameter of the bottle D=5 inches, wall thickness t = 0.025 inches, and the plastic has a yield strength of 5000 psi:

The hoop stress in the wall of the bottle = PD/2t
The longitudinal stress in the wall = PD/4t

For this pressure vessel situation, those 2 stresses are orthogonal and and the principal stresses s1 and s2, the von mises failure theory suggests that the stress levels are acceptable if: sqrt(s1^2 - s1*s2 +s2^2) < yield, so:

sqrt((PD/4t)^2 - (PD/4t)*(PD/2t) + (PD/2t)^2) < 5000

expanding and collecting the LHS =>

0.433 P D / t < 5000

Filling in the example numbers, P < 57.7 psi

And ofcourse with anything safety related, a safety factor should be applied in proportion to the risk severity. In this case an exploding bottle probably would not cause death, but could cause serious injury - A safety factor of 5 is likely appropriate... thus, assuming the example numbers are about right, you should not pressurize to more than 57.7/5 = 11.5 psi (this is delta compared to 1 ATM)

Something I got off the internet. That's alot of pressure my man.

Fear

I do a natural purge. I let it sit for a couple weeks in the glass container and then it is easier to get all of the oil. Then when it is in the containers I store them in I burp the containers several times a day for a few months. BHO used to be a way I made a decent amount of money. Clubs would pay $30-35 a gram and buy it by the ounce.

That's a cure my brother. You can improve the effect and taste just like herb, definatly by doing it that way. Also if you can find a club who will buy it. They won't touch it up North, won't even sample it.

I get $45 a g but I usually sell it for $40 a g in bulk.

jump117

Veteran
Pressure doesn't play the role, do not close it tight for safety, do not grind material and stir softly for quality. I played this tech many times.

Fear

Plastics shouldn't be used. A stainless steal turkey baster works best. I know it doesn't do a lot, but you want something that is food grade and not plastic.

Also, that power butane is garbage! That shit has hella chemicals other than butane in it. I have ran side by side experiments with Colibri, Vector(the new formula), Older Vector, and Power. I still have a case of power I will not use because it transfers its skunk smell to the wax.

Dude I usually use Vector but were I live they don't have many options. Shit is made in Korea but it leaves a clean glass on the glass test hardly any residue as you are stating, I don't know what you mean skunk smell either. I smell danky bho no skunk. If I had a choice I'd spend the extra $15 a case for Vector cause I don't like korean products but I'm not driving 2-3 hours for Vector.

BongRipkenJR.

Well, for me it is a purge, because even though pure butane has a very low boiling point it isn't fully out of the oil for quite a long time. Sometimes I give it a stir to work out any chemicals still in it.

A lot of dispensaries will touch it. One in general really liked buying it, but they would get this shitty alcohol based oil and want to low ball me after a while. They would say that they sell their oil for $35 now and that was true for the alcohol based shit, but when I would sell them my shit at whatever price I would sell it for it would be double the price in there display. $55-60/gr. Fucking ridiculous!

Fear

Pressure doesn't play the role, do not close it tight for safety, do not grind material and stir softly for quality. I played this tech many times.

Thank you! I was just closing the lid all the way so I didn't spill any of it. So there you go don't close the lid all the way.

Fear

The double boiler method helps speed things up. Then I do leave the container I store it in open to release any extra moisture but this stuff dried out rapidly. Some oils I feel are different and require a longer purge.

Fear

This was just an experiment first time I have done this way with a 2 liter. I just posted it for an easy cheap way to do it for people. I know people who you pvc to be cheap I'd rather use a 2Liter than PVC and I've spent $20 to $100 on tubes.

Latest posts

Latest posts