What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can you clone off of a clone?

roughnice420

nope, I do it all the time. Supposedly, clones from clones from clones, etc can eventually lose some of their vigour (this usually takes years). I haven't had this problem yet so I'm only speaking based on what a few others have reported.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
the root structure, etc. is a lot better on seed grown plants
but ive heard some people claim that genetic drift over time can cause soem degredation but that doesnt make much sense to me. jsut clone good growth, thats not messed up in anyway and it should be fine.
dividing tissues on a mother plant can become mutated but that would most likely affect the way the plant looks and would be rather obvious. such is the case when you see a tree that has one variegated branch, or as my friend observed the other day, an orange with a slice of the skin lacking color
biwck0.jpg

you can end up cloning such tissue mutations but they will most likely not be heritable traits

N

NWestCoast

I don't buy into genetic degradation. Mother plants can go to shit however and give off crappy clones that arent what they once were.

You can clone off a clone. You can clone half a cutting. You can root a cutting upsidedown growth tip first in the medium.

rando

Speaking from biological info (as opposed to pot growing info), genetic drift requires reproduction - which is eliminated with cloning. It's not like the movie Multiplicity where you're making a copy of a copy of a copy and there is degradation in the reproductions. A plant clone is literally the same plant as the mother - same exact genetics.

grimcreeper

Actually, that orange isn't a mutation. They spray them with orange dye to make them more "buyable". It didn't get fully sprayed.

N

NWestCoast

Speaking from biological info (as opposed to pot growing info), genetic drift requires reproduction - which is eliminated with cloning. It's not like the movie Multiplicity where you're making a copy of a copy of a copy and there is degradation in the reproductions. A plant clone is literally the same plant as the mother - same exact genetics.

exactly right. So in turn, if a mothers health goes to shit, so will the clones. I have experienced this, and expect this is what people call genetic drift/degradation in the pot world

Random useful fact of the day:

The naval oranges that you buy in the store today, are clones from a mutant orange tree grown on a Brazilian monestary during the 1800's.

The fruit divides early on to give you the smaller undeveloped Siamese twin orange inside. This has something to do with the orange sex chromosomes, my memory gets fuzzy here, and is why navals do not produce seeds.

In short no cloning is not going to affect the attributes of your plant unless it is mistreated in another way as well.

Yes that Multiplicity movie has really done a lot of damage to the understanding of molecular genetics....fucking Micheal Keaton!

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is there any disadvantage from cuttings clones off cloned plants instead of clones off seeded plants?

Not in the least and actually it will get stronger as the time goes or should I say experienced in the way of the land during that particular generation. Time changes things for the good and the bad it all depends on whats happening in it's world, some even say that the THC of a plant was only developed by the plant over TIME to help protect itself from the sun and then after many generations of evolution they found stoned out cows in the fields and they found the source and well here we are lol.

Bottom Line: If ya gotta good cut (Mom) treat her well and trust me if you take good care of her she'll take good care of you.

Kinda Funny Once You Think About It.

My Penny

Mr.Wags

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
and yes rando thats why i was saying it doesnt make much sense
but as i pointed out there can be mutations in tissues which will be perpetuated if mutated tissues are cloned, so there is the possibility, but its not very likely that the plant would mutate w/out you realizing it since growth would probably be affected and it would be recognizable
there is also the part where nearly all plant cells have the ability to undifferentiate and become 'stem cells' in a way where they can re-differentiate into new tissue types

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The process of cloning opens both mother plants and clones to the risk of plant viruses and infections. Likewise clone-culture readily passes on pests and diseases.

Otherwise cloning from clones is common practise with all manner of nursery stock.