What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

weak stalks

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
good evening all. I am currently running some tomatoes on a 4x8 table, the plants are about 4 weeks old and beginning to show some little buds. after working in the garden today, i noticed that the stalk near the hydroton appears to be weak and much thinner then the rest of the plant. Could this be due to a lack of mechanical air movement in the room? ( i did not have an oscillating fan in place) or do i need to just add some more hydroton to beef up the support? Or both?

darkhollo

I think a fan is always needed when growing indoors.. if not they just don't bulk up.
When growing indoors you are trying to emulate the outdoors while controlling the variables.. wind is a part of process and should not be omitted.

I would add a fan (not directly on them but make sure they are swaying a bit) and you can put some hydroton to hold them up while they beef up the stalks.

You can also supercrop tomatoes just like cannabis. I am trying it out on a few seedlings to see how well it works. I read an article raving about it. YMMV.

--dh

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
thanks dh! I will be getting an oscillating fan today and will implement it this afternoon.