What's new

Growing in Raingutters

itsaplant

Hey peeps hows is it growing. Well since it almost time to start the spring off i got this thought in my brain to so some flood and drain outdoors before it gets hot. So here was my idea:muahaha: Go to hd and get a couple of raingutters and fill them with hydron and flood it plain and simple..Now some of yall might be laughing...But i am not a rich person here.I am a simple farmer trying some new things. So i looked around the garage a little and to much of my suprise i had most of the pieces to make this idea happen. So i ran to home depot and got two raingutters(they are differnt for a test) and a couple of flood valves, and a flow valve. I then ran to ealmart and grabed a trash can cause they are 5 dollars cheapier and i had to go anyways and headed home:woohoo:. So i set up a board with a little bit of and down slope drilled a holes for the flood valves. Drilled holes for the drain. Chalked everything and let it sit for the night. Threw a pump in it it.Filled with water (1/2 way).Hooked up some tubeing and fired it up.(not weed). To my suprise it started to work:woohoo:>. So i let it run for a few minutes and noticed that it wasnt filling up evenly and one side was way to fast and the tubes where of equal size. So i added a flow valve on the fast side and wa la it worked both side were even. Now the drain:mad: After drilling the holes i figured out that the barbed pug i put in wasnt a good idea. It wasnt letting all the water out when i turned it off. So out come the plugs. Now i have a good runing system i think. I add the veggies(pre grown from seed)and rock.Set the ppm and ph and ended up with this. Now i dont know if this is going to work but i will try it out and see what happens. It is sitting in my garage right now with flours and i plan to move it outside in a couple weeks.So anyways here it is.. do you think it will work or am i wasting my time:D
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now it will only let me do five pics at a time if you want to see a few more they are in my gallery
i hope everyone enjoyed this read and checks back every so often to see what happens i will try and keep things up to date. or you migh come back and see i bombed. Whatever happens i learned alot from it as i always do with these crazy ideas
peace peeps and have a growing day

Hey I was wanting to do somthing similar.I was thinking maybe make it into a u shape.Down hill as you go around.Pump water in one end.Drain back to bucket from other end.

itsaplant

thats basically what that is .i used a trash can for a res . i wil fill the other and move outdoors in a few weeks. i am waiting for the seeds to get ready
thanks for the reply

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Nice!! Those should work great--
Reminds me of the tubes we made a few years back, but much cheaper to do!! Once we worked out a good wet/dry balance, they worked great--
100_4602.jpg

The only thing I see you might do different, is maybe put plastic over the top and just have the plants sticking out...to help keep the algae off the pellets--
I will definitely be watching this--

itsaplant

now i am green with envy i was thinking the same thing with the tubes but couldnt figure out how to flood them
these will be going outside but i was thinking plastic also
i will defineitly look at your pic and learn
i likes alot :woohoo:
thanks for stopping by and checking thing out and any help in my thread is always welcome

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
If you want to make tubes...this was our final design...notice the PVC is on the outside on these...and the small tubes going into the top, are supplying little sprayers that spray each plant--
In the first ones, we had the sprayers on the bottom, inside the tube, but the roots kept plugging them up--
These work very well--
Any questions about making them...just ask--
Peace--

100_4772.jpg

scifreak69

that looks sick >>i can build something like that i had a feeling to use dripper or sprayers thats for the pic i will definely try that out

IRay

Itsaplant- Cool Idea! Gives me some ideas of my own! haha

Kmk- I really like your design as well. Do you you flower in the tubes? or is that only for veg?

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Great idea itsaplant. Looking forward to seeing your results. How you gonna manage the weight from those tomato plants later on?
Great setup kmk!