What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$200 DIY Greenhouse

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
here are two pics of the destruction and 1 pic when i was rebuilding...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 35

GP73LPC

Veteran
and here are some pics when i planted broccoli, brussel sprouts, califlower, cabbage, spinach and 2 different kinds of lettuce...

these pics are old now...

a grasshopper infestation has taken out about a 1/3 of them and the romaine lettuce bolted due to the unusually warm weather... :mad:

i also threw some hay down in the walkway...

the plants are bigger now and i will get some updated pics soon...

:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 31

GP73LPC

Veteran
oh i also add some onions.

i bought the sets and then didn't plant them for a month, so i had about a 50% survival rate :cry:

one of these days, the weather, the bugs and my timing are gonna cooperate and i am gonna kill it in this greenhouse :D

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Nice thread/GH.

Just read the whole thread. I'm new here. Did have a couple of thoughts while reading.

Water holding tank: the 'bottom' blocks are turned wrong, may collapse.

Heat and cold; If you want to moderate the inside temp. more, put 'blue board' into the ground around the perimeter. A foot will help, two would be better. 2 might even get you below the frost line?, depending on your winters.

To stay cooler in summer and warmer in winter: Dig your walkways Down. The earth is normally in the low mid 50s F year round.

Lowering the walk way would also give you more 'headroom' in the middle. You could then utilize the middle of the 'walkway' for tall plants in large pot?s.

If you really want to cool it. Dig in a long length of pipe as an underground duct/intake. If you have enough pipe/slow enough airflow, the air will come in at 52-54 degrees.

If you want heat use raw chicken manure to fertilize your inactive bed areas. It is hot and you get nutes plus heat.

Not meaning to be critical, just thoughts that might make life more peaceful in the GH. :^)

If things progress as hoped here, I may have to do a GH too.

GP73LPC

Veteran
Nice thread/GH.

Just read the whole thread. I'm new here. Did have a couple of thoughts while reading.

Water holding tank: the 'bottom' blocks are turned wrong, may collapse.

Heat and cold; If you want to moderate the inside temp. more, put 'blue board' into the ground around the perimeter. A foot will help, two would be better. 2 might even get you below the frost line?, depending on your winters.

To stay cooler in summer and warmer in winter: Dig your walkways Down. The earth is normally in the low mid 50s F year round.

Lowering the walk way would also give you more 'headroom' in the middle. You could then utilize the middle of the 'walkway' for tall plants in large pot?s.

If you really want to cool it. Dig in a long length of pipe as an underground duct/intake. If you have enough pipe/slow enough airflow, the air will come in at 52-54 degrees.

If you want heat use raw chicken manure to fertilize your inactive bed areas. It is hot and you get nutes plus heat.

Not meaning to be critical, just thoughts that might make life more peaceful in the GH. :^)

If things progress as hoped here, I may have to do a GH too.

not critical at all... it's good to get opinions, it's educational...

on the cinder blocks:
Littleleaf recommended that in my rain collection thread... i did a little searching now and it seems opinions are varied on this... i really don't need a collapse, but now i am confused as to whether it's strong enough or not. it's been this way since i built it. holding up to 2600 lbs... do you have personal experience with this?

on the temp control:
the blue board would probably not make a huge difference with ground temps where i live as the frost depth is fairly shallow. digging out the walkways (and for the matter the whole floor, beds included) would help maintain more constant temps. might consider this some day in the future. using a underground piping for cooling is an excellent idea :idea: i am going to look into implementing that one !!!

as far as chicken shit for fertilizer i might consider this as well...

thanks for you input man :tiphat:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
"on the cinder blocks:
Littleleaf recommended that in my rain collection thread... i did a little searching now and it seems opinions are varied on this... i really don't need a collapse, but now i am confused as to whether it's strong enough or not. it's been this way since i built it. holding up to 2600 lbs... do you have personal experience with this?"

Fraid so. They will stay for quite a while depending on the moisture, freeze/thaw cycles, shifting of load, etc.
Then one day, one of them will embarrass you. lol They are made to be loaded with the holes in the 'vertical', as in walls.

GP73LPC

Veteran
bummer...

guess when it gets low, i will have to change those...

Joeski

Hurry up n grow some weed in there already mate... dieing to see how theyd go in that beauty

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Yes indeed, looking forward to seeing it in operation.

I'm being impatient, thinking maybe of some ornamentals in my Living Room's south facing windows. lol How many 'guests', you think I'd offend?

S

sativagrower87

What a great and inspirational thread, GP73LPC! I couldn`t stop myself to read it from start to end.

GP73LPC

Veteran
if you build it, the plastic i used will only last 8-10 months.

when i run out of that home depot plastic, i will be covering it with something designed for a greenhouse that holds up to UV rays.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
if you build it, the plastic i used will only last 8-10 months.

when i run out of that home depot plastic, i will be covering it with something designed for a greenhouse that holds up to UV rays.

After some reading, I'm thinking that Solexx is in my future. Bit expensive unless you buy it in bulk rolls.....

But it's gaurenteed for 10 years. I like that.

Can't see anything but shadows through it. Like that too.

70-75% light transmission, totally diffused as well.

Just thoughts.

Madjag

Veteran
70-75% transmission translates into stretchy plants and less resin. I had bronze-tinted lexan panels from Lowes last year and later in the season I bought an expensive light meter to check the transmissivity of those panels. It was a pathetic 50% at best. My girls grew to the ceiling of the patio roof, but they were noticeably less resinous than similar seeds grown outside.

This year I replaced the tinted panels with clear....92% transmissive. The close internode distance and tightness of their bushy structure has been obvious from the start. I'll let you know at harvest how the resin flows.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
70-75% transmission translates into stretchy plants and less resin. I had bronze-tinted lexan panels from Lowes last year and later in the season I bought an expensive light meter to check the transmissivity of those panels. It was a pathetic 50% at best. My girls grew to the ceiling of the patio roof, but they were noticeably less resinous than similar seeds grown outside.

This year I replaced the tinted panels with clear....92% transmissive. The close internode distance and tightness of their bushy structure has been obvious from the start. I'll let you know at harvest how the resin flows.

I for one, will be looking forward to a comprehensive report......

Comes under the heading of 'need to know'.

I've read the recommendations of outfits that sell it. And I've seen it in use a a commercial GH in my hood. But I don't know how much they actually grow in those GHs.

Latest posts

Latest posts