What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sterilite curing container with boveda tray

slaine87

I bought two 19 liters Sterilite containers that have lids with a kind of foam that makes it pretty much air tight.

I'll cure my crop in these and I wanted to construct a kind of tray on the underside of the lid to place a 67 gram Boveda packet for each container.

I thought about using very cheap popsickle sticks and a kind of glue to construct this makeshift tray, but any suggestion would be great!

My main question is: What kind of glue/adhesive could I use without fearing an odor from the glue itself contaminating my buds?

Easy7

Veteran
Dry proper and forget the packet.

Add packet for humidity and get moldy rancid bud. Add packet to take away humidity and you get dust for product. Just dry proper and there should be no issues.

XXX_710

Why are you doing it this way? Are you trying to dry faster? You can't take a chance of your buds molding in that container. After they dry in open air, you can put it in big glass jars (glass is always safer than plastic) and put the packs in for storage.

Easy7

Veteran
If you want larger look into food grade plastic buckets.

But the burp phase is only a month. Other than that it's lock 'em sealed shut.

slaine87

Hey thanks

Maybe I wasn't clear enough; I intend to dry the flowers for about a week, the slowest possible. Then I would only cure in these sterilite containers! Of course I would monitor the humidity after transferring them and ''air out''(burp?) as long as humidity isn't sitting at around 58%. When it hits 58% I would stick the boveda in there.

@Easy7: Boveda packets aren't good to ensure proper curing humidity? From reading around I thought it was a good product to help nail that curing process just a bit more easily...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hey thanks

Maybe I wasn't clear enough; I intend to dry the flowers for about a week, the slowest possible. Then I would only cure in these sterilite containers! Of course I would monitor the humidity after transferring them and ''air out''(burp?) as long as humidity isn't sitting at around 58%. When it hits 58% I would stick the boveda in there.

@Easy7: Boveda packets aren't good to ensure proper curing humidity? From reading around I thought it was a good product to help nail that curing process just a bit more easily...

Curing in bins is fine, but only fill them 1/3 and gently flip the product bottom to top when you burp every day(?) at the beginning. If your flower is moist after you flip them, leave the lids off until they dry some. Only use the Bodeva if you think you're going to lose control of the cure, or for a short term RH Hold. But once you've cured to your liking (67%RH?), vacuum pack the lot (or jar it). Go easy on the vacuum.

I'd keep some of the stalks wrapped and stored in your freezer in case you need a bit of humidity toward the end of your cure.

Long term storage in bins is a bad idea.

Just my two cents.

(If anyone thinks I'm off, please correct me.)

slaine87

Curing in bins is fine, but only fill them 1/3 and gently flip the product bottom to top when you burp every day(?) at the beginning. If your flower is moist after you flip them, leave the lids off until they dry some. Only use the Bodeva if you think you're going to lose control of the cure, or for a short term RH Hold. But once you've cured to your liking (67%RH?), vacuum pack the lot (or jar it). Go easy on the vacuum.

I'd keep some of the stalks wrapped and stored in your freezer in case you need a bit of humidity toward the end of your cure.

Long term storage in bins is a bad idea.

Just my two cents.

(If anyone thinks I'm off, please correct me.)

Great, thanks man. So basically nothing beats a good ol' curing without Boveda...I'll maybe tinker a little with them towards the end of the curing if my flowers get too dry.

So long term storage in plastic bins is not to be attempted either. I guess it's because there's a chance the plastic will leach some smell into the buds?

I'll read further on this, storage in these containers would be very convenient but if there's a chance the taste gets affected, I'm gonna get some big glass mason jars to keep them long term.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't think taste will transfer (I might be wrong), but I think they'd just dry out. The bins just aren't air tight.

I vacuum pack, then double bag it and freeze. If you get jars, make sure you get a couple small jars for your weekly smoke. Opening the big jars over and over will dry them out for sure.

Latest posts

Latest posts