What's new

Roots-In Hydroponic Systems (Dwc/Rdwc/Swc/Nft) What is YOUR Optimal Healthy pH Range?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Without giving away anything you consider to be a secret, please share the following information, along with your answer. Please share, as accurately as possible, your thinking behind your answer. Information is the most useful when it's shared in context. :D

• What type of hydroponic system do you use?
  • What nutrient system and mix do you use?
  • What is your reservoir management like?
  • What type of light intensity?
  • Minimum and Maximum RH and Temps?
  • Minimum and Maximum reservoir temps?
  • What do you use for aeration?

How do you monitor and adjust pH? What is your pH adjustment tool? (what's it made of?) I believe the collection of this type of information will be extremely helpful to new and advanced growers alike.

I'm getting my information together, who out there already has theirs copy/pasteable?
:tiphat:

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
It's all in the roots
picture.php

PH simple 5.5-5.9.good ph meter calibrated monthly. A+b nutrients with Canadian express Regen a root plus Great white.or mammoth p rocks..
c+p.. Better Propagation: Learn How to Air-Prune your Seedlings and Cuttings
Air-pruning plants is such an easy technique, and yet most growers haven't even heard of it! It's all about getting your young plants to totally fill their propagation media without root-circling. Think of air-pruning like 'revving' an engine in a car. You're priming these plants so that when they are transplanted into a hydroponics system they are literally bursting out of their starting blocks!
Propagation is arguably the most important stage of plant development to master. Get this right, and your plants will-lo and behold-grow themselves! Or that's the way it'll seem anyway! With the right foundation, your plants will leap from the starting blocks and truly become the majestic creations their genes predestined.

On the other hand, if you rush propagation, it will seem like your plants never really get to the thriving stage-they will just "exist and get by"-the plant equivalent of a long-term career employee at the Internal Revenue Service just waiting to reach retirement age.

A lot of plant problems later in life start with poor propagation. Novice growers are prone to overexcitement when they see the first signs of roots emerging from their rockwool cubes or propagation media. As such, they are all too apt to move them prematurely to the next stage-be it a hydroponics system or a simple plant pot-without first taking the time to establish the plant 1st.

• What type of hydroponic system do you use? NFT
  • What nutrient system and mix do you use? AQUA CANNA
  • What is your reservoir management like?
  • What type of light intensity? 600 watt hps
  • Minimum and Maximum RH and Temps?
  • Minimum and Maximum reservoir temps? water heater .. 19 degrees Celsius
  • What do you use for aeration?
air stones

How do you monitor and adjust pH? ph pen

• aeroponics
  • maxigrow, Maxibloom, and orca
  • res is monitored, adjusted only when outside ph or ppm ranges. Res changed only if ph rapidly fluctuates without ppm changes (indication of bad shit going on).
  • De CMH 630w setup with 3000k and 4200k bulbs
  • propagation and veg ph set to 5.6 to 6.0. Bloom ph 5.8 to 6.3. Ph is monitored a few times a week. It only is adjusted if outside of parameters. Ppm for rooted clones and seedlings is 400 to 600ppm bigger plants get 600 to 1000ppm depending on growth stage and appetite. Ph and ppm of bloom plants is monitored with constant display blue lab guardian (well worth the money!). Ppm adjusted with top offs in 5 gallon increments.
  • minimum temp 63°F max temp 85°F avg temp 73°F rh avg 35%
  • res temps stay between 63°F and 68°F.
  • aeration is with aeroponics spray, and air stones. I'm currently experimenting with aeration with just the sprayer and no air stone. So far it's 4 weeks and no issues without airstone.

I concur with azad. Proper root development is key to healthy and vigorous plant growth. I will say that with ideal root conditions roots can be regrown even in bloom. Yield will just diminish a bit. I have had to cut roots to the bottom of a net pot before due to root rot in week 3 of bloom. I healed the root rot and still got around 4 oz from that blue dream.

So far aeroponics has been the best cloning method with explosive root growth. From there it's a toss up between Dec and aeroponics for healthy roots.

Here's some puctures for reference with aeroponics:
4 weeks from time of being cut from mother plants with various strains, aeroponic/Dwc tote.
picture.php

Week 5 of bloom in a flood and drain table rigged up to be a recirculating aeroponics diy system.
picture.php

Last edited:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
18" diameter by 8" deep flood and drain rockwool croutons. Up to three plants per container. Overhead lighting is about a thousand watts per container of CMH or eight hundred watts LED. Plants in between get both. Side lights add another three hundred watts per plant, mostly passive LED bars except the UVB which is fluorescent.

General Hydroponics three part is mixed for all phases, seedling, veg, prep for bud, and bud. Fluming prior to use keeps the reservoirs aerated, a must since 3 ml/gallon of fulvic acid is added and will rainbow the surface if not aerated.
pH is kept around 5.7 to promote water absorption, RH runs from 20 to 40.

Reservoir temperature runs in the high 60's F, room temperature in the low 80's F.

pH down was used when a silica additive was also used. No longer necessary as the the GH3 is supplemented with fulvic acid only and the natural pH varies from 5.6 to 5.8 during use.
If the spring water source is used then pH down is still necessary.
All additives other than fulvic acid tested the last 17 years did not improve health or yield. Several were tried.