What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Ever Newbie Summer Bud Contest

MHBGuy

"In the spirit of thinking that if you grow pot it is cheaper than therapy and plus you get weed ~ it was suggested by NYUrbanFarmer that we have a contest for newby growers.."

Truer words may never have been spoken; high praise for NYUrbanFarmer's inspiration.

Getting back to growing over the last couple of months has been the best on-going mood elevator I have experienced since the last time I grew back in the 90's. It's not sex, but it's a damn close second and a lot more regular. :biggrin:

I submitted my grow report for approval several days ago, but never heard back, so I will just go ahead and start my grow diary, but a question:

Are you limited to one grow report/one strain? The reason I ask is that I already have a Grow Journal that I started a month or so ago, which covers three different strains: Grape Ox from RD, 4 Corners Kush from RD and an 15+ year old bag seed which looks like a Sativa.

So could I do three Grow Reports and one Grow Diary or are contestants limited to one strain?

Glad to have you aboard!

Glad to have you aboard!

"In the spirit of thinking that if you grow pot it is cheaper than therapy and plus you get weed ~ it was suggested by NYUrbanFarmer that we have a contest for newby growers.."

Truer words may never have been spoken; high praise for NYUrbanFarmer's inspiration.

Getting back to growing over the last couple of months has been the best on-going mood elevator I have experienced since the last time I grew back in the 90's. It's not sex, but it's a damn close second and a lot more regular. :biggrin:

I submitted my grow report for approval several days ago, but never heard back, so I will just go ahead and start my grow diary, but a question:

Are you limited to one grow report/one strain? The reason I ask is that I already have a Grow Journal that I started a month or so ago, which covers three different strains: Grape Ox from RD, 4 Corners Kush from RD and an 15+ year old bag seed which looks like a Sativa.

So could I do three Grow Reports and one Grow Diary or are contestants limited to one strain?

First I thank you for your kind words and although, Yes, this was my Idea for the contest, I MUST recognized ALL of the people that worked on this contest as my idea wouldn't have become a reality without the help from Payaso, MedMan, BushyOldGrower, Skip, Clarence & Seedbay.com as well as many others. So thank you everyone for helping my idea to become an inspiration.

Second, yes per the rules of the contest you are restricted to one particular strain. You can pick which ever one you want and can used one that is already in the process.
As I quote from the contest requirements:
The rules:

Any NEW grower that chronicles his grow of a particular strain with a detailed Grow Diary and posts a detailed Grow Report by September 30th will eligible for consideration as Summer Bud Contest winner.

MHBGuy Thank you so much for entering the contest and from all of us here Good Luck and Have Fun.

Remember, "Some of us Live to Grow and others Grow to Live either way, Growing brings peace to all of us!" ~ NYUrbanFarmer

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
I believe the newbies are our future.
give them seeds and let them lead the way. :D

Go newbies! :plant grow:

hicksticky

Still at large...
?

?

Question: do i need to have a journal along with a thread in diaries or would just a diary thread?
I have a journal going with the strain i want to enter in the contest in it but not showcased, do i need to start a new journal and a dairy or just a diary?

sorry for being confused

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

Question: do i need to have a journal along with a thread in diaries or would just a diary thread?
I have a journal going with the strain i want to enter in the contest in it but not showcased, do i need to start a new journal and a dairy or just a diary?

sorry for being confused

you start a grow diary. then you can link your previous journal to the diary and continue in the diary. at the end you fill out the grow report if I'm not mistaken.

TDK

Veteran
Well I like the idea, except the part that says:

The quality of the information in the Grow Diary.
The frequency and presentation of updates (weekly updates?).
The quality of photographs and or videos.
The design setup explained, details can make for a really great thread.
Unique setup and design.
The amount of interest in the grow.
Strain review.
Smoke report.
Answers to questions in the thread.
The end result, the quality of the harvest.

These are the criteria to be used to judge the contest. So it's NOT JUST THE END RESULT, nor is it based solely upon how the plants look, how big they are, or how well they smoke. It's about how well the grower did documenting the grow and other factors like innovation or responding to questions.

This is not about a bud contest, it is a contest to see who does the best job reporting what they have done, why, and so on. But lets be honest, is that anywhere near as important as the final bud qualities? Not in my book, never will be.
Even bud is just a messenger, not the real message, which is the resin.

Think if I had a contest for hashish and I said the quality, the looks, the smell, the effects, potency were not very important, only how well you documented the hash making? WTF, it does not matter, the best is the best even if made by a blind illiterate, with no info or photos at all. At least to me.
So to get this straight, if a grower has really great quality of info in his grow diary, with
frequent and good presentation of updates (weekly updates?), and quality photos and/or videos, good setup design explanations with lots of details, unique setup & design, lots of interest in the grow, strain review, smoke report, answers to all questions, and finally the end result the quality of the harvest? Even if he grows hemp with no THC at all?
I understand you are trying to bring newbies into the fold, but are you really teaching them that communication and info is more important then quality? It is not true.
I would vote for the best big haze grown outdoors, for me that would be the best, I have little need of info on how to grow in an indoors under lights setup, I have zero interest, I do have interest in better quality, bigger, etc.
I understand that many people are still growing indoors under lights, and maybe newbies will get benefit from this contest, but what about the rest, quality trumps information in almost all cases.
Quality should be number one unless you want newbies to think quality is not number one.
I would think that most newbies want quality or quantity, or both, that needs to be the number one priority.
Quality is always first, if not then WTF???

Next time lets have a newbie contest for the best quality/quantity outdoors with minimum input, focus on the quality, not just the process, I can give 1,000 seeds total of many of my varieties to the winner.
My 2 cents worth....
-SamS
Hi Sam :tiphat:
mmh at this point i hope you do other Contest...
And it would be great when we have more Contests...
so what are you doing now??
Be the next to get Startet Sams-Contest :)

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
too bad the thread post count is set so low. im on my first grow with more than 500 posts because I documented my build......... im not in this for the glory anyway.

If you wish to enter

If you wish to enter

too bad the thread post count is set so low. im on my first grow with more than 500 posts because I documented my build......... im not in this for the glory anyway.

McKush if you wish to enter I will speak to admin about your post count? do you wish to enter?

NYUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
McKush if you wish to enter I will speak to admin about your post count? do you wish to enter?

NYUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

Hiya NYUF,

as long as it doesn't get anyone's skirt twisted I would like to participate. Since I am truly and literally the purest essence of a newbie, why not I say.

I'm already in the midst of my first grow and I'll be done long before the other suckersssss.... i mean contestants. lol

If I'm too far past the thread count or it just can't be accomodated due to the rules yada yada, then that's cool too. I understand and its not worth the bitch fest to exempt one person, so peace and no prob if I'm not accepted.

His Ballerness McKush