What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Truth on Flouro vs HID

MPL

so...

so...

Alright, any updates here? I saw that advance tech had some purple and red T5 lamps on their site, are these the same as what is being referred to in this thread?

I'd like to see a link for exactly what is being discussed here. I am thinking about doing a 4'x2' SOG under as many T5s as I can fit, and these lamps might fit my bill. Has anyone tried this?

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Advanced Lighting has the ones that are being discussed here and no I haven't tried them yet but I'm saving up for some purple T5's and will let everbody know when I get them...

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
I had mensioned the purple CFLs a while back in the CFL Club but theres good an bad as there is with anything first they dont make them for standard volts in the US which sucks!!! they are the closest thing to a HID light. purple is red an blue the 2 spectrums plants use so they are more efficent then HID anyway you wanna look at it. they are not as intense as stated so they cant penitrate the canopy of the plants as well as HIDs. but on the flip side they can be placed alot closer without burning they plants. also a big thing over looked when talkin bout lumens is the rated lumens is at 1 foot so if the plants are say 6in away the actual lumens the plants get is higher. basical reverse the chart on the first page with the pyrimd about lumens. purple lights are the future for growing but with the uprise of LEDs by the time Purple CFLs are avalible everywhere LEDs will be strong enough an advanced an also the price wil go down like everything does(ex. plasma tvs when they first came out they were 6000 now u can get a 42" for under 1000). CFLs an LEDs are the future of growing but for now purple or warm or cool they dont have the intensity of HID but dont run up the bills either. untrue statement was removed

Last edited:

isit4.20yet

cfl...KING said:
one thing that could be done is lamiate a thin piece of plexi glass with purple tint an build a reflector an put the plexi glass so the light is passed through the tint an bam u have purple CFLs. when i upgrade my box next thats what im doing

Passing the light of a CFL through a pink/purple filter will not increase the red or blue output of the lamp. It will merely reduce other wavelengths of light (namely in the green area) and quite possibly filter out some useful light as well. The idea of the PUrple lamps is to primarily produce only useful spectrum by selective phosphors in the coating in the lamp, not by producing unwanted colors and then filtering them.

If you don't have the actual PUrple CFLs or tubes, your best bet would be to skip the filter and the plexiglass layers altogether to get the maximum useful lumens to your plants. :)

cfl...KING

Veteran
this post has been deleted because i was a fucking idiot when i wrote it.

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
isit4.20yet said:
Passing the light of a CFL through a pink/purple filter will not increase the red or blue output of the lamp. It will merely reduce other wavelengths of light (namely in the green area) and quite possibly filter out some useful light as well. The idea of the PUrple lamps is to primarily produce only useful spectrum by selective phosphors in the coating in the lamp, not by producing unwanted colors and then filtering them.

If you don't have the actual PUrple CFLs or tubes, your best bet would be to skip the filter and the plexiglass layers altogether to get the maximum useful lumens to your plants. :)
100% correct!

Passing the light through a color filter will only lessen the effectiveness of the lights.

Tanuvan

isit4.20yet said:
Passing the light of a CFL through a pink/purple filter will not increase the red or blue output of the lamp. It will merely reduce other wavelengths of light (namely in the green area) and quite possibly filter out some useful light as well.

Whether he has grow pics to show or not, he is actually correct. Amazing how people get flamed for trying to help. :badday:

If you want proof...ask anyone who has done photography using filters.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
cfl...KING said:
an who r u to try give me advice? not that i dont need info from time to time but were can i find ur grows? anyways it could inhance the blue an red spectrum reaching the plants. an i didnt say it would increase the output of the light but the energy in the form of light would be turned into purple wave lengths. so untill u can prove this wrong begone. an i look forward to seeing ur grows an if u can prove this wrong then please do so so i wont do it. an i think u missed the point of my post
It cannot enhance the red and blue spectrum any at all.
Study up on how a color filter works... Color filters do not change any wavelengths whatsoever, they ONLY remove wavelengths.

cfl...KING

Veteran
I didnt mean to be an asshole i had had a lil vodka an had nothing to do so i was on here. I kno that doesnt excuse me for my actions. i had wrote the first post before i started drinking an except for the last part where i said it COULD be possible to use a filter, i think people looked over the important info in it. ex. if you use CFLs an you place them at 6 inches from the canopy the lumens are actual double wat the bulb is. lumen rating are from a light at 1ft away. oh an again i am sorry for being a prick an just forget my secong post

isit4.20yet

Hi cfl...KING. I wasn't trying to piss you off or nothing. I just wanted to state the nature of the physics behind what you had mentioned. I'm quite the noob grower and am going to be harvesting my first real closet grow next week. I'm by no means an expert on growing. Once I get enough posts or whatever I need to post photos here I'll put up some pics.

That said, I just want you to get all the lumens you are paying for to your plants where they will reward you with the dank. :)

Peace and happy harvesting.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Not at the moment I'm going to search around today and see if I can find them anywhere else or if any other lighting companies are making them

C

Cozy Amnesia

Yeah once these are made available, I plan on doing a grow with them. I'm thinking 4 of these would be perfect for a ScrOG.

Quazi

Thanks for putting this information together.

You might want to let everyone know that you copied and pasted pretty much every bit of it so that they don't confuse you for the source though.

Wouldn't want to wind up trying to answer questions that you never had knowledge of to begin with. I noticed that someone was asking for the source of your information without receiving a reply so they'd probably like to know too.

Good collection of info from various places though and a :1help: to anyone looking for info about lights.
:rasta:

cfl...KING said:
if you use CFLs an you place them at 6 inches from the canopy the lumens are actual double wat the bulb is. lumen rating are from a light at 1ft away.

Are you completely sure about this? Where did you find this info? I would really like to read more about it

Latest posts

Latest posts