What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 GRAND, 10 LIGHTS, NO TIME!

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
hey celcius, have you ever cooled hoods with that design? do u use the same size fans on both ends? and do all rows of light have the same cfm's moving thru them (i.e. does any one row not get cooled as efficiently as the others? thx!

full time daddy
Veteran
Mr Celsius said:
???? :confused:

80% load is optimal, right? I'm sure we agree.

Magnetic 1000's take 4.9 amps
Digi 1000's take 4.1 amps

80% of 30 is 24 amps, IE 5 magnetics or 6 digis... not 4, either way.

your right my bad........ 5
the reason i dont do more then 4 is i run a 110 off each line to run my pump's & fan's

O

ogatec

light movers, scrog,flipflops, all these things add to the complexity of the grow... on a small scale this isnt a big deal, but as things get bigger the problems complexity creates grow in size exponentially.... allways go the simplest route with the fewest problems in a large grow or it will come back to bite in a big way.

pico

Veteran
Mr Celsius said:
Scrog... well thats just dumb on a commercial scale, simply because the work vs profit sucks. Do a SOG. Not saying its not doable, just saying its pointless and time wasting.

I will have to chime in and disagree there. I regularly do large SCROG grows with 8-12 lights and find it the easiest and best way to get consistent yields. Plus if you are doing a large scale grow then SOG will put you way over the 100 plant mark. I can do 12 lights easy with under 100.

Last edited:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
nice work stoney! are those lights on movers? what did u yield per light? what medium?Do you really pull 4lbs per 4x8 with 2 600's on movers? sorry bout the q's. Crazy awesome pics bro! And i see in your sig. that youve experimented with all types of grow styles...which combo do you like the best so far?

Last edited:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
my sincerest apologies pico! I had just smoked a joint of mango haze and bubba kush sealed with a glob of hash oil! i guess u could say im a little out of it!!!!! i wish you guys could try this oil, its freaking heavenly!!!!

G

00420 said:
your right my bad........ 5
the reason i dont do more then 4 is i run a 110 off each line to run my pump's & fan's

Its "you're" not your.

An educated opinion is seemingly impossible to find on the forums these days. There are actually a few people who know what they're talking about, you're not one of them though. Please, do yourself a favor and get your G.E.D and go to college!

Considering you're a full time daddy, you should actually make an effort to support your child in a responsible manner and set a good example.

O

ogatec

Mr Celsius said:
or just put the screen up and let them grow into it? \:D

thats not scrog... thats just using trellis for support, which i recommend everyone should do. esp on a large grow

a true scrog with all the training would be a monster headache on a big grow. i dont think it would be easy to get in the middle of a large canopy to do proper training. you would need long arms.

O

ogatec

Mr Celsius said:
I
For light movers, Look at Stoney's SOG grow, where he pulls 4lbs off of each 4x8 with only 2 - 600's on light movers.

I will have to go back & re-read the thread, i though thats how much he WANTED to get off his 1st go round, but didnt get that much. Stoney plse chime in to correct me if im wrong....

even if he did reach those #'s, my OPINION is that movers arnt ever worth it (even on a small grow) unless you have a rectangle shaped grow. even then, a 3rd light would be much better...

unneeded complexity-
im in this same argument with my friends that run aero systems with 4k+ setup. i tell them sure its working now but all it takes is 1 timer to go bad or a pump to freeze up & bingo your whole harvest is toast, whereas in the same tables ran ebb/flow you could have a whole day to find the problem before your plants get toasted. nothing to do with beeing dumb or lazy,its just unneeded complexity that can cause potential problems in the future.

Last edited:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
outlawed420 said:
Its "you're" not your.

An educated opinion is seemingly impossible to find on the forums these days. There are actually a few people who know what they're talking about, you're not one of them though. Please, do yourself a favor and get your G.E.D and go to college!

Considering you're a full time daddy, you should actually make an effort to support your child in a responsible manner and set a good example.

DUDE!!!! Unless you have something positive to say, then please dont post here. There's way more important shit to worry about these days than simple grammar! If u have a problem with someone, then i suggest u take it up with them elsewhere. Thanks

pico

Veteran
Mr Celcius- I have done both trained and non trained with the trellis. Most of the time I do train. The holes may not be as small as a small scale scrog, but the idea is basically the same. I actually find it unnecessary to use small holes when doing this size. Very easy to train too, just pull the tops over a square as they grow.

Even if you don't decide to train, trellis will save you a real headache throughout the grow keeping your canopy around the same height and your buds from falling over.

smurfin- No light movers, I don't like my lights dancing around the ceiling. I pretty much get 1.5 pounds per 1k on whatever I do. I am working on a few ideas to try to get up to 2. Lately I have been really liking coco ebb and flow. Very easy to get setup and use throughout the grow.

ogatec- I am able to get to all of my plants and reach everything for training. My trick is the PVC SCROG trellis I use (see sig for DIY). Currently I just have space between rows of tables so I can get to everything. One of these days I will get all my tables on wheels and will be able to roll them around and have one big square of plants, yet still be able to roll all the tables out and get my hand on everything.

O

ogatec

pico-very much respect! i would love to see a thread dedicated to your training techniques. to be honest, i havent ever tried scrog so i dont really know how difficult it would be on any scale.

rolling tables sounds great! i run 4x4 tables too, & the idea has crossed my mind also. im not the handy type so it would take some major rework on my ghetto table supports.(plywood&milkcrates)

O

ogatec

Mr Celsius said:
Without those lightmovers, his yields would not be possible.

i dont really think you can make that assumption, i bet his yields would be even better with 3 lights per table. i know for a fact his buds would be of a higher quality with a greater watt/sqft.(less popcorn, denser fatter nuggs)

Last edited:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
ogatec said:
i dont really think you can make that assumption, i bet his yields would be even better with 3 lights per table. i know for a fact his buds would be of a higher quality with a greater watt/sqft.(less popcorn, denser fatter nuggs)
I agree his yields may be a tad higher with three 600's (not on a mover), but the question u gotta ask is, IS IT ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY SPEND THE MONEY AND USE THE EXESS ELECTRIC FOR THAT LITTLE BIT MORE? Heres my theory... Plants photon receptors catch the light and then take it to be synthesized. But while they are busy, that specific spot (very small) on the plant cant use the photons(very small amt. of time, but still) that are falling onto the surface, and if you have stationary lights, then the same spots on the plants are always being fed the light, therefore, some areas of the plant never recieve the intense light that they need while the other parts have so much that some is getting wasted. If you use movers, then a lot more of the plant is being subjected to higher intensities of light than it would get from a stationary setup. So intstead of beaming light down on the same area all the time (and shedding photons that wont get used by receptors while they carry out their duty), it would seem that if you used a mover and lit up all areas of the plant, that the photons would be more usable. So IMO i think three 600's (not on a mover) would yield more, but it would not be significant enough to go get an extra hood,bulb,ballast and and then deal with the added heat and elctricity consumption. If he can pull 4lbs from 2 600's on a mover, then i would only imagine that if he took down the mover and added and extra light, then his yield would only increase by somewhere around a pound which would reduce his original 2lb per light average when using a mover.

O

ogatec

i should clarify my position b4 ending my rant, i think 2 600w lights over a 3x6 is better than 2 600w lights over a 4x8 w/ a light mover. better yield & quality.

Last edited:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
REZDOG said:
Or, you can set up,on independent circuits,220v multi-light relay boxes on independent timers.
When you use those,you can run flip,or any time you like,safely.
I always try to run lights at night,it's always cooler and more efficient that way,I've found.
The boxes run about $225USD each,and have to be hardwired in by a pro. They're made by Green Air and many others,I've used them for years and had a box of them converted for use where I'm now based.
They're very safe,but impossible to uninstall in any hurry,take note.

My .02
solid advice my fine friend.
im a big advocate of growing at night, MULTIPLE-multiple reasons, temps, power shortage, temps, temps, ease of cooling, bill size, and my personal fav, its better for the environment.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
like celcius said, it depends on plant count. An sog style grow is gonna produce way more on a 4X8 (with 2 600's and a mover) than on a 3x6 (w/ 2 600's and no mover) if you flowered both from clone imo. But if you put some veg time on the 3x6 plants (therefore decreasing the plant count), then flowered them next to the 4x8 with clones, then your yields would probably start to match up.

smurfin' herb.

I urge you to not do a big grow right off the bat. Start with one E&F table under 1-2 lights, then move on up from there. You cannot expect to just jump right into a 10 light/6kw grow and expect it to work! Yes, it sucks, but it's the truth. If you try this, you will just end up with a bunch of equipment whose cost you cannot recoup, and possibly getting busted for one of a whole host of reasons.

Also, 2 weeks to set up a grow is not enough time if you have a regular job and family. Don't rush into it, that's how mistakes are made which lead to bigger problems: poorly designed plumbing leads to flooding, leads to structural damage to the house, or poorly wired electrical causes fire, etc.

I know you are excited, but start small and work your way up. In a year or two, you will be able get to a 10-light grow.

Good luck!