What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CFL Club!

H

hedpi

Hi there,

I also use only CFL due to small space/heat!

I have a 200w 12000lumen agro-lite plus two 60w 1000 lumen osram in the flower division, all warm:

And the veg cab currently has this sauccer i made eheh, it is a 40w 1000 lumen osram, three pigtail 23w 1600 lumen from lexman, and three 15w 1200 lumen (can't remember the brand name).:

Also i have a division for the mother and clones, which has 4x20w + 2x18w + 11w+4x15w. But just today i found a couple of 105w 10000lumen that i'm probably going to trade in for the sauccer, i need more power on the veg cab!

Family picture:

Anyway total for now is: 200+60+60+23+23+23+15+15+15+40+20+20+20+20+15+15+15+15+18+18+11
Which is 661w, but i think lumens are more important, and those are around 30000. No heat problems, and i keep plants really close to the lights for good results (actually i burn leaves sometimes because i let them touch eeheh).

Last edited:
H

hedpi

never did, built the cab like 2 months ago it's still new :)
And i'm probably going to get better CFLs as i said, i can see the plants need more light. I'm going to do a perpetual if all goes well, harvesting small amounts each 2 weeks :)

b8man

Veteran
Ok I'll play...

I started with CFLs, switched to HPS when I could, and now am forced to keep it basic under CFLs once more. CFL is less than half the yield of HPS on average.

The last grow was 6 x 32w (all blue for veg, all red for flower) growing Satori scrog'd in a rubbermaid full of earth. Yield was about 2oz because the system needs considerable tweaking - but the potential yield would have been much more. Satori survives well with low level lights.

CFLs are fine for growing BUT, you need to scrog or SOG it and must have a separate vegging space. They need lots of vegetative growth to make it worthwhile flowering them.

By the way, there are 300W CFLs available which are huge things, but I can't get them here - I've heard they come from Thailand.

bio-forte

CFL's have made what would have been dry times, high times for me. I was pleasantly surprised how much you can pull with these cheap little bastards when you use em' right. I just went with mainly walmart standard 23W (not cool white). I kept em' cranked down as close as I could to the plants throughout growth and some were literally in between the buds when it finished.

yeknomssa

There's a couple hardware places around me that have those 300w florescent bulbs, but they say they need a ballast, which i didn't see around the bulbs. I'll have to look into it some more

H

hedpi

The one i got have the ballast included, it's below (or above) the green stripe of the lamp.
Just like the small ones! I just regret having bought small ones at all, the big ones are so mucho better!

BonsaiBud

In my neck of the woods we can get 42watt 2700K CFLs. I flowered some Lowryder#2s under a pair of those and got nice trichromes. I also had a big mid spectrum flouro lamp. Ultimately, I plan to get a 4 x 2ft, T5 system and veg with 6700K. However, I am currently working on a 3 x 50 watt HPS system complete with air-cooling tubes and reflectors. In spite of all those awesome plans, I am currently vegin' under 2 42watt CFLs of the 2700K color. I made a nice little reflector for them and run them in the horizontal position. Ideally, I would have the 4 T5s at 6700K mounted on the side and the 3 x 50 watt hps system on the top. If that proves to much for my simple dirt pot system then I will be swapping the 6700K T5 system out for the 2200K hps system whenever I switch from veg to flower.

Hans Blix

dtoker said:
has anyone got any links for any sites they use for uk bulbs (240v)?
dtoker said:
man u just cant get the range of bulbs in the uk that u guys can in the us! The most ive found here is 240v 23watt warm and 30watt cool. I wish there was somewhere to get 60 watters here :(
www.eurobatteries.com.

Last edited:

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
From what Ive seen is nothing but benefits and a tad bit of flaws in CFL for VEG or Flower.
One great benefit is saves power and also has a built in ballast,reduce tempatures.
Bad thing is.. bad for the enviorment when you recycle they have a Mercury in them.. and they dont flower as well as you do with a HPS or MH.
And the best part about CFL's they are CMEMORY =D

H

hedpi

mine are 240v, but yeah.. here you have up to 23w and then jumps to 105w hehe.. the 105w are around 50euro here

boof

hey what's up cfl growers? I'm just starting growing in a pc case. I want to use cfls but was wondering how many watts can I pump in my case without having heat issues. I plan on using plexi-glass as a heat shield.my dimensions I the case are about 17.5 inches tall 17 inches in length and 7 inches wide.

Oaklandish

boof said:
hey what's up cfl growers? I'm just starting growing in a pc case. I want to use cfls but was wondering how many watts can I pump in my case without having heat issues. I plan on using plexi-glass as a heat shield.my dimensions I the case are about 17.5 inches tall 17 inches in length and 7 inches wide.

My biggest problem is getting my case ABOVE 65f.. 2x42w of cfl don't put out THAT much heat.. Also depends on how well you are intaking and exhausting.

H

hedpi

i had a pc case with 200w and it had passive intake and 2 80mm fans for exhaust, worked fine, around 25ºC

:rasta: First time i ever used CFL or any flouro in flower.I built a little cab for the hell of it/tribute to phototrons,lol/and threw 4 plants in it and got a qp.But those 300s(cfl's)_ work well with a small hps to mix in.Hardly no wtts got me a qp,i think of all the elec i use runnin my two 600's in flower and what it takes to get a qp with the cfl's its funny,lol. :joint: I like seein peoples low watt grows that pump out some sweet meds. :rasta:

:rasta:

boof

hey hedpi if you don't mind me asking where did you get that bulb? And did it just screw into a normal socket?