What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"My Green Heaven"

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to get theoretical on your ass D Rock :D

(And don't take this to be gospel, it's just my interpretation of what I have learnt.)

Plant growth factors (auxin) are hydrolysed (broken down/destroyed) by light. Put a light on the left of a plant and the plant bends to the left. This is because the auxin in the right side (dark side) of the stem continues to increase cell growth, where as there is no growth on the left side (light side) due to lack of auxin, and hence bending.
Auxin may promote axial elongation (as in shoots), lateral expansion (as in root swelling), or isodiametric expansion (as in fruit growth).

When the lights go off, the distribution of auxin changes as it floods the plants. This causes all round growth or increased turgidity and can make your plants appear less than perky, like they're puffing out their chests.

There may be some other reasons for drooping (such as to preserve water and prevent dessication/drying out) but I believe the answer above to partly the reason why they respond the way they do. :wave:

(sorry for the long post!

Auxin comes from the apical (dominant top) shoot and has an inhibitory effect on the lower shoots making the highest shoot climb towards the light more vigorously than the lower ones and that's the basis for the mechanism behind lst)

Last edited:

D Rock

HERBAL RELEAF PLANT A SEED START A WE
Veteran
Dr Dog said:
In my experience, the plants droop overnight, I would imagine to conserve energy.

I also notice them "boot" up shortly after I feed them as opposed to right after I feed them they get droopy. I suspect this happens when the plant is taking up food, it would need to use energy to do that and takes it away from the leaves. Once it's energy is replaced the leaves prop back up.

There is a differnce between droopy and needs water though. Normally a plant that is in need of water will almost look dead, the leaves pointing straight down,

Are you seeing roots out of the drainage holes yet?
That is normally a good indication when the plant is well rooted and has some side action going on, what may have happened is that the plant is rooted straight down, thus all teh weight is in the side soil, where the plant is not feeding, you may need to dry your plants out a bit to force them to look all over the inside of that bag looking for food

Merry Christmas Brother
Thanks so much for that explanation Dog. Its appreciated.

Must spread rep around before giving to Dr Dog again. :joint:

D Rock

Veteran
Sammet said:
I'm going to get theoretical on your ass D Rock :D

(And don't take this to be gospel, it's just my interpretation of what I have learnt.)

Plant growth factors (auxin) are hydrolysed (broken down/destroyed) by light. Put a light on the left of a plant and the plant bends to the left. This is because the auxin in the right side (dark side) of the stem continues to increase cell growth, where as there is no growth on the left side (light side) due to lack of auxin, and hence bending.
Auxin may promote axial elongation (as in shoots), lateral expansion (as in root swelling), or isodiametric expansion (as in fruit growth).

When the lights go off, the distribution of auxin changes as it floods the plants. This causes all round growth or increased turgidity and can make your plants appear less than perky, like they're puffing out their chests.

There may be some other reasons for drooping (such as to preserve water and prevent dessication/drying out) but I believe the answer above to partly the reason why they respond the way they do. :wave:

(sorry for the long post!

Auxin comes from the apical (dominant top) shoot and has an inhibitory effect on the lower shoots making the highest shoot climb towards the light more vigorously than the lower ones and that's the basis for the mechanism behind lst)

:confused: :confused: :confused: I....................well....................... WHAT!!!

I tried to understand.

Must spread rep around before giving it to Sammet again.

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll try to use English :biglaugh: - Plant growth hormones are produced at the highest shoot and are broken down by light.

32_24.GIF

When lights are to the side (see stem B), the auxin on the light side is destroyed leaving only the dark side growing. This makes the plant bend towards the light.

When the lights go off, the growth hormones spread around the plant evenly causing growth in all directions - this can appear as droop.

(I'm not sure if that's 100% the cause, but I imagine it's part of it) :wave:

D Rock

Veteran
Sammet said:
I'll try to use English :biglaugh: - Plant growth hormones are produced at the highest shoot and are broken down by light.

32_24.GIF

When lights are to the side (see stem B), the auxin on the light side is destroyed leaving only the dark side growing. This makes the plant bend towards the light.

When the lights go off, the growth hormones spread around the plant evenly causing growth in all directions - this can appear as droop.

(I'm not sure if that's 100% the cause, but I imagine it's part of it) :wave:
Im pretty sure thats what it is, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. Learn something new everyday, I love it.

D Rock

Veteran
Day 27 December 25th 2007​

- Well the day has finally come its Christmas & I got nothing from Santa. so I hope his Fat Ass chokes on some cookies and milk next year or gets stuck in a chimney.

- But nothing could make me happier than seeing my beautiful plants this morning they are so green and getting so big.

- One of my Garberville Purples is getting so much bigger than the others. Im thinking that this plant is going to be a male. In my experience the most healthy looking and biggest plants usually turn out to be males. I have started to LST my Garberville Purple, my biggest one at least. It was actually touching the light so I had to bend it down some so I would have a more even canopy. If this plant turns out to be a female and triples in size like some do then Im going to have more plant than I can handle.

-I hope everyones garden across the globe looks good and brings you happiness. Happy Holidays

- Oh Yeah Almost forgot. No more fuzzy Low quality Pics me and the Little lady got a new camera with macro capabilitiesfor X-mas. I was playing around with it earlier and took a couple of pictures for you guys to see. My wife said when we get the extra bulb for macro pictures then it will be evn better than what it is now. Im just so damn excited to fianlly have a decent camera. Its a Sony something. Enjoy.

122607001zf9.jpg

122607002vy4.jpg

122607003in0.jpg

122607004gb9.jpg

122607005ca4.jpg

122607006sy9.jpg

122607012wg0.jpg

122607004pb2.jpg

Testing a larger picture to see if it fits on our Forum without messing it up.

Last edited:

D Rock

Veteran
Day 29 December 27, 2007​

-(Early in the morning) Plants are big, Havent had a smoke yet & Im ill. wish i was still in bed time to take a couple hits from the bong.

- Lights just came on 6:00p.m. Lights are at there brightest.............................Wait..............wait just one cotton picken minute! I HAVE A CONFIRMED FEMALE!!!

- Thats right pistills on 4 of my plants 3 of them are on Northern Lights and the other one is my giant Garberville Purple. I have done some serious LST to it Probably used a yar or more of string to tie branches down to try and keep the canopy the same height
- Im wondering if I should start my lights on 12/12 now or should I wait for the others to show sex too? I could just keep vegging until I have all the females and males seperated. Cant hurt to let the "identified" ones keep on vegging.

-I havent even began to give Nutes yet, The Fox Farms Ocean Forrest Soil is packed full of Nutrients to Last pretty much the whole Vegetative stage, Unless you like to Veg for more than a month and a half is what Im guessing. Good stuff!! But when should I start to give my plants nutes? When the leaves start to yellow? Or if I start 12/12 light schedule then I would most certainly start them on the flowering Nutrients Right? Damn Immn confusing myself over here. It will work out just like my last grow. (Knocks on Wood )

- Pics to come. Trying to get Camera Away from wife so I can take some pics of the pistills and the progress in growth. More to come guys.

Where the hell is everybody? :moon:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Wish I could help ya bro
I no nothing of pre nuted soil. I make my own mixes.
But your vegging plant look nice and healthy. YOu can do what you want for the lights. you can wait it out or force them, I would say force them, no sense wasting time waiting for nanners to show

U

UBER21

There looking sweet D-Rock cant wait to see the final product.....Happy Holidays brother...... :joint:

jgaf

Howya drock, Things are starting to look mighty festive in that grow box of yours. Congratulations on the females and thanks for the new photos.

how much head room do you got in your box because i know it sucks when you run out of vertical space mid flowering. keep the pics coming, loving your grow log.

jgaf

D Rock

Veteran
Oh there is plenty of height this homebox is 7 ft tall so no problem there. Im talking about width my plants getting bigger and my style hood doesnt really throw light out like a HID so my plants need to be almost directly under the hood to get the proper light. Thats why I was thinking of getting more lights or a 400 watt HPS. Still undecided.

D Rock

Veteran
Dr Dog said:
you can wait it out or force them, I would say force them, no sense wasting time waiting for nanners to show

I was going to do that like last time and well , last grow my number of females wernt that great so Im going to try an let them show there sex and maybe i can get more Females out of it. Jorge Cervantes says that forcing them to show sex puts stress on the plant and could make a potential female turn male before actually showing its sex.

Or something similar to that.

(dont want to get his quote wrong and have someone attack me cause I missed a word or something. Seems like alot of bashing going on lately and alot more negativity on the boards. Stay positive peeps and dont waste your life being hateful. One Love! :rasta:

D Rock

Veteran
Thats kind of how it is now the leaves are starting to kind of weave themselves together and almost no light gets through. to bottom branches. I dont know if this will be possible after identifying the males and then getting rid of them. Plants are really getting big. I know I promised pics but we are getting ready to go to a friends house to watch the UFC fight between Silvia and Lidell. Will try and take some tommorrow.

D Rock

Veteran
Not a whole lot to say today but I do have some new pics and as promised I have a better camera so I got some pics of some pistillsfor you guys.

122607001gt0.jpg

122607002bp2.jpg

122607003vj6.jpg

122607005ne1.jpg

122607006cx1.jpg

122607007bj7.jpg

122607008qq7.jpg

122607009cl8.jpg

122607010sv3.jpg

122607011tz8.jpg

122607012bt9.jpg

I eliminated 2 plants today. Was checking for more females and saw a pair of balls hanging on two so there is one more left that I am really sure is a male but want to wait one day to make sure before I pull it. Hope the pics are a little better than my last grow. The camera is pretty good nothing to brag about but its a whole lot better than the last one we had.

T5GrowerNow

D Rock I am digging your new camera. Really nice micro shots. Can really see the detail. Both males were NL correct? Those girls are nice and healthy. If Santa had only brought the HPS.
Keep up the good work. How is the water schedulue now?
They look great. You are the master of T5.

U

UBER21

Wow D-rock nice looking shots with the new cam how many mega pix is it?....I need one myself mine is horrible my cell phone throws better pics than my digi cam its as big as a dam camcorder...lol.....freaking old.......

D Rock

Veteran
T5GrowerNow said:
D Rock I am digging your new camera. Really nice micro shots. Can really see the detail. Both males were NL correct? Those girls are nice and healthy. If Santa had only brought the HPS.
Keep up the good work. How is the water schedulue now?
They look great. You are the master of T5.

Thanks T5grower. Yes both males were NL. there is only one mnore to identify. I was wanting to get a 400 HPS but cant really afford it right now so I will use the T5 like last time but this time there will be supplemetal lighting with CFL's going to try and get the most Lumens I can to try and get big Kavorky buds, ya know. Water is only when needed. Everyday I check each plant and feel for the weight of thre plant if its light it needs water. If its still heavy no water. Im far from a master of anything but I pay close attention to your grows to learn as much as possible. Thanks for coming around bud.
:joint:

D Rock

Veteran
UBER21 said:
Wow D-rock nice looking shots with the new cam how many mega pix is it?....I need one myself mine is horrible my cell phone throws better pics than my digi cam its as big as a dam camcorder...lol.....freaking old.......
Thanks for stopping by brother. Dont really know mega anything just push the button and snap a pic. My wife has the camera now and doesnt like me using it. she Considers it hers. But just because it had her name on it when she opened it doesnt make it hers. We are married so technically by law its equally ours. (yeah right) I just use it thats all.
Know what you mean by your phone. My phone actually took better pics than out last phone. Hang around awhile.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
we got some ladies!!!!
and some new nice pics as well, Looking forward to seeing what your wifes camera can do!

Latest posts

Latest posts