What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing outdoor in Hawaii

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
1st $300.00 oz I ever saw was Kona Gold in a sealed freezer bag.

That was in 1975, inside the bag were TWO Gigantic buds that looked like fat green corn cobs. This was when I could get KILO's of Mexican for $80.00 Colombian was $30.00/oz and Mex Reg was $8-10.00/lid/oz
All the Hawaiian I ever smoked back then was like the Thai, speedy, crazy fun high from long season sativa/NLD plants that were scraggly leafy weedy looking small buds and they always blew your mind. The Kona Gold could have been a hybrid because the buds were so big and fat.
If I was growin there I'd have a patch of Zamal, mold resistant from close to the same latitude, climate, soil and it's got psychedelic potential. I wouldn't care if it took all year to mature, it'd be worth it.

Miasa Mura

There's a lot of micro climates in the islands, but generally it's very humid. To be very successful hoop houses are the way to go. The shorter day length can cause a lot of strains to Auto flower. A lot of people Veg indoors, or outdoors with supplemental lighting, to get the plant to the size they want. Then stick it outdoors in the hoop house to flower.

Be sure to study up on day length and weather before you start growing. The driest time of year may not coincide with the fall harvest. Ideally you'd want strains acclimated to the shorter day length and moisture so you can grow a long season crop but that's not easy and may not be the strains you want. No matter how resistant a plant will turn to grey sludge if it's sopping wet 24 hours a day.

You may find it easier to let the plants Autoflower, run them so they flower during the dry time of year, you might be able to get 2 or 3 crops in that way. The best part about the islands is getting to experiment with a greater variety of strains and techniques, hope you're able to share some of your discoveries with us!

Thank you! That is really helpful information:) I think I’ll try a variety that really stretches in flower to make up for the light cycle/auto flowering climate. I’ll keep everyone up to date on the adventures :thank you:

Miasa Mura

Stuff flowers year round here on the islands. If you decide to grow pure sativas you will notice a huge difference in flowering time during the short season compared to the long season. My Golden Tigers only take about 7 weeks to finish in early fall to late spring but take around 12 weeks to finish during the long season which is around May to Aug so it's good to plan accordingly. A lot of my other strains take about 6-7 weeks to finish in the short season and about 7-8 weeks during the long season. I live in the highlands of Maui and never get any mold unless the caterpillars eat off the buds. Caterpillars are the biggest issue where I'm at. They can get big and come in huge waves during certain times of the year. Plants can get completely eaten away and destroyed if left unchecked. Otherwise it's a dream to grow here. Best of luck!

I’m super excited to see how Ganja grows there!! Thank you for the helpful information! I have caterpillars as a main pest where I live in California as well (bastards) haha. :thank you:

Miasa Mura

1st $300.00 oz I ever saw was Kona Gold in a sealed freezer bag.

That was in 1975, inside the bag were TWO Gigantic buds that looked like fat green corn cobs. This was when I could get KILO's of Mexican for $80.00 Colombian was $30.00/oz and Mex Reg was $8-10.00/lid/oz
All the Hawaiian I ever smoked back then was like the Thai, speedy, crazy fun high from long season sativa/NLD plants that were scraggly leafy weedy looking small buds and they always blew your mind. The Kona Gold could have been a hybrid because the buds were so big and fat.
If I was growin there I'd have a patch of Zamal, mold resistant from close to the same latitude, climate, soil and it's got psychedelic potential. I wouldn't care if it took all year to mature, it'd be worth it.

Sounds like some amazing smoke!! I’m looking forward to growing some of those really psychedelic Sativas on the island for sure :)

squatty

Aloha Miasa Mura. I think your information about building permits is a bit outdated. I suspect the rumors of lax building permit requirements was concerning the Big Island. I don't know about Maui but I have heard that Hawaii county has turned to using satellite information to crack down on unpermitted structures. One website that may be helpful to you is city-data. It is not always a constant flow of information but searching will often find you many sides to the issues of moving to and living in Hawaii.

Miasa Mura

Aloha Miasa Mura. I think your information about building permits is a bit outdated. I suspect the rumors of lax building permit requirements was concerning the Big Island. I don't know about Maui but I have heard that Hawaii county has turned to using satellite information to crack down on unpermitted structures. One website that may be helpful to you is city-data. It is not always a constant flow of information but searching will often find you many sides to the issues of moving to and living in Hawaii.

Thanks for your information Squatty!! It really helped me in my decision making and slowly but surly planning on getting island side soon!

squatty

You're welcome. I should have clarified, the city-data forum was where I was trying to direct you. Much back and forth on many subjects of moving to Hawaii. Feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

kalopatchkid

Veteran
FWIW, Hawaii county is not that strict about building permit enforcement unless there is a complaint or you piss someone off that works for the county.

A couple years back someone complained about a whole neighborhood in ocean view and there were something like 96 properties identified in the complaint and county inspectors were going door to door to investigate.

But other than that, I have not heard about any enforcement resulting from satellite data. Main thing is to be friendly with your neighbors and not have your place look like a homeless camp.

Miasa Mura

FWIW, Hawaii county is not that strict about building permit enforcement unless there is a complaint or you piss someone off that works for the county.

A couple years back someone complained about a whole neighborhood in ocean view and there were something like 96 properties identified in the complaint and county inspectors were going door to door to investigate.

But other than that, I have not heard about any enforcement resulting from satellite data. Main thing is to be friendly with your neighbors and not have your place look like a homeless camp.

Thanks for the heads up Kalopatchkid! I always try to be positive with people so I hope there’s no bad vibes and no one calling up enforcement on me :thank you:

Miasa Mura

Finally made it out to the Big Island from Northern California. Just getting settled in but I started seeds as soon as I landed! After cutting down the males I’m left with;
(6) Scorpion Feathers - Females
(1) Frozen Fairies - Female
(1) Goblin Glitter - Female
(1) Candy Milk - Female
(1) Woodland Digital - Female
(5) Molokai Frost - not sexed yet

Set up a small area in my shed to root some cuttings from all the females. All my plants are very healthy and growing with vigor!

Stoked to share the journey with you all more soon 😎

Miasa Mura

Pheno 0 - Minimal branching, leaves like reminiscent of the Zipolite Oaxacan. Stem rub is funky metallic baby poop.

Pheno 1 - extreme branching, very robust with side branches that are thick and hearty. Twice as wide as all the other plants. Stem rub is a sweet and tangy aroma like sour patch kids covered in a sweet barbecue sauce.

Pheno 2 - Nepalese in leaf shape and formation but lacking the explosive height of the Nepalese. Mild stem rub with a faint barbecue sauce smell that is overpowered by a tomato resin smell (yuck!!).

Pheno 3 - much better branching than number 2 with a thai dominant leaf shape. Nearly a pure tomato resin smell, not a fan of the aroma at all!!

Pheno 4 - branching on par with pheno 3 and 5. Very thai leaning in shape and leaf. Also the most resinous plant of the group already. Mild aroma but it was a sweet corn smell.

Pheno 5 - branching identically to pheno #3 but with pink petioles like the original Oaxacan had. Super sweet sugary sour Candy smell on the stem rub.Favorite smell of them all!

sneezydog

Aloha!
If you cross those strains.....
Digital frozen fairy glitter milk?
Now thats a name for a cannabis strain...
Ill take a glass. :)
Cheers Miasa happy to see how it all goes.
Whats the lineage with those?

Last edited:

Miasa Mura

That is a most excellent name for a strain! Haha, I’ll have a glass of that too 😎

The Candy Milk is from Cannarado (Cereal Milk x Gushers)

Woodland Digital is from Lupos Cannaseed (Black Cherry Punch x Bacon)

Molokai Frost is from Good Gear, not sure what the line is made of. I’ve heard rumor that it’s a island adaptation of a hash plant, but I’m not certain so please regard that info as hearsay for now 🙏

The other three are crosses I’ve made:

Scorpion Feathers = both parents I breed.
Kapala (Black Willie x Big Sur Holy Weed) x Santeria (Zipolite Oaxacan x Lucky Charms #8)

Frozen Fairies =
(Australian Bastard Cannabis x Banana OG)

Goblin Glitter =
(Runtz x Space Runtz)