What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado networking

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad to elaborate Passion. DVB quit growing and started renting for fear of leo. If you have been in and around the Denver housing market for the last 10 years or so you have seen huge spikes in prices including rental housing.

I have now idea what kind of garden DVB had going but he obviously is able to rent and generate as much $$ as growing with out the fear of having his door kicked down. The average rent for a one bedroom apartment has doubled since the green rush in the city. Am guessing the avg has gotten to almost $2,000/month.

The last I heard though is the market is cooling down and more are leaving the city than coming in. What goes up will come down. Like housing most things are cyclical.

With where prices have gone....I should sell my house but I would have to pay and inflated price on anything in the area so kind of like kissing your sister. Thinking I will stay put.

Hope that explains......

My brother recently rented a 3bed duplex apt in Thornton for $1800/mo.
I wonder why his place is so cheap?

It is amazing that anybody with any type of debilitating disability, that makes them unable to work, can afford to live in the metro area!

It's only my observations, I could be totally off, but the constant increases of rent with constant drops in the price for bulk have already pushed most growers I still know here in Denver to the edge of sustainability. The room for error has shrunk dramatically, and a single lost crop or sale gone wrong can now be the deciding factor in a grower throwing in the towel if they don't have the savings to take the hit. For me, it was losing an entire harvest at gunpoint that pushed me away from growing for others, but far less dramatic situations are driving growers away from Denver every day. Our house is a fixer upper, unfinished basement, in need of a full remodel, yet zillow and real estate agents swear it's worth over $400k, as is. Housing price bubbles never end well, as a refugee from California i'm just waiting for a repeat of that collapse.

Hydro8

Once housing prices get detached from wages they are a bubble. Look at the job listings and they are full of $13-$15hr jobs then look at 1-bedrooms $1300.-$1700. and up. Do the math any way you want and it doesn't add up to sustainable.

2-3 years ago I would meet people all day long that just moved to Colorado and bought a house now I meet people all day long that are putting their houses up for sale and moving. 2-3 years ago their were bidding wars now their are price drops every two weeks. The bubble is deflating. Toss higher interest rates on top of it and it's a lot of downward pressure.

My brother recently rented a 3bed duplex apt in Thornton for $1800/mo.
I wonder why his place is so cheap?

Thornton.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
@ Passion. Sorry I rounded up. I will say it again....the AVERAGE price is $2,000. Have him check prices in S Jeffco or downtown.

Like I said everything is a cycle....prices are going down but now interest rates rising....

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's only my observations, I could be totally off, but the constant increases of rent with constant drops in the price for bulk have already pushed most growers I still know here in Denver to the edge of sustainability. The room for error has shrunk dramatically, and a single lost crop or sale gone wrong can now be the deciding factor in a grower throwing in the towel if they don't have the savings to take the hit. For me, it was losing an entire harvest at gunpoint that pushed me away from growing for others, but far less dramatic situations are driving growers away from Denver every day. Our house is a fixer upper, unfinished basement, in need of a full remodel, yet zillow and real estate agents swear it's worth over $400k, as is. Housing price bubbles never end well, as a refugee from California i'm just waiting for a repeat of that collapse.

I'd be done too... FUCK THAT SHIT!!!
I hope you and your renter have a good repertoire.
:tiphat:

All bubbles pop.
I didn't think the Denver (I-25 corridor) housing bubble would give way so quickly though. I feel for a fam member that just purchased a house earlier this year. They're going to take a damn hard hit depending on how the market drops.

For $400K, I could get a nice farm here on the West slope as long as I stay away from GJ, T-Ride or Durango.
I've seen land prices climbing for the last few years. I haven't seen any evidence of prices dropping though. But I haven't been looking for developed properties either. I'm guessing Raw land is a whole 'nother market.

cryptop

Interesting info all around, I had no idea the housing market was evolving in this way!

I'm looking to move to the Denver area (open to being 30 minutes-1 hour away). I already have a remote job so am just looking for a fairly cheap, safe apartment where I can homegrow. Any recommendations?

X

xavier7995

There can be deals out in aurora, it has a bad rap but there are parts that are just fine. Other than that, as far west or south as you can go, west of wadsworth and south of hampden are good. Golden is fairly close and i sort of recall seeing reasonably priced stuff over there.

Edit: i lived in the hood until recently, never had an issue on the growing or crime front. I guess it would depend on your background, but even the bad parts of denver arent all that rough compared to many other cities.

All bubbles pop.
I didn't think the Denver (I-25 corridor) housing bubble would give way so quickly though. I feel for a fam member that just purchased a house earlier this year. They're going to take a damn hard hit depending on how the market drops.

For $400K, I could get a nice farm here on the West slope as long as I stay away from GJ, T-Ride or Durango.
I've seen land prices climbing for the last few years. I haven't seen any evidence of prices dropping though. But I haven't been looking for developed properties either. I'm guessing Raw land is a whole 'nother market.
I really can't blame anyone except myself, and the robber of course, I cut myself off socially, was left with fewer and fewer options for moving bulk, and eventually was forced into unsafe situations that led to the collapse of my grow. My current renter is a decent fella, had to sort through a few bad apples before we found him but I feel like this concept is a decent one. When I was a young grower, one of the biggest hassles was finding decent places to rent where I would be safe from harassment, and I keep that in mind when dealing with my current renters, as long as the bills get paid and the property doesn't get trashed, I am more than willing to not only tolerate but help such individuals.

My wife and I keep looking at properties in the rural areas with eyes full of hope, lower prices, more space, more privacy, at the same time our resources are at a very low point, so such a move would be difficult, to say the least.

Many business oriented individuals have told me for a long time that land, more than gold, more than bitcoin or anything else is the best investment, I should have listened to them sooner.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I have lived here all of my adult life and things sure have changed as all large cities. If you look around at all the high density housing that is being built it is changing things again.

The younger generation (millennials) are perfectly happy to live in a 700 sq ft app/condo. Ikea is having a field day. We are running out of water and our roads are a mess. Rush hour is starting to rival LA and San Fran. Not only has it gotten weird downtown but you can't get there.

Denver drivers have recently gotten the unique distinction of being in the top 5 cities as far as rudeness goes. When you drive I -25 or 70 you better wear your seat belt. Cause it has gone bat shit crazy.

I am sure you can still find cheaper places to live here....it's just not all that safe to go outside for a walk after dark.

Anyway, I live in the foothills above most of this and have a 2nd home 90 miles into the mountains where it is still remote and peaceful. I will never leave but I wish there were other places peeps wanted to go and live.

All bubbles pop.

Curious to know what your definition of a "nice" $400K farm is.

Around my west slope location, it could be done - most likely it'd be an undeveloped subdivided irrigated parcel. Dryland in outlying areas can still be had for $1K/acre, but dryland farming is a marginal proposition.

Then figure on a bunch of cash for farm equipment. And more cash for tools and a shop to keep the equipment working.

Then when it comes time to build on it, bring a fat wallet - the entire west slope is a high-cost area.

Most of the small farm operations here are run by people who also hold jobs in order to pay the bills. And there aren't many good jobs to be had.

The big overriding issue for the long term is going to be availability of irrigation water due to drought. When the water stops flowing, as it does at times, there are a lot of unhappy landowners.

I don't farm my land, but just maintaining it is nonstop work and expense. That said, I hope to spend the rest of my days out here in the middle of nowhere. :tiphat:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I love the western slope...you guys are lucky. Delta, Hotchkiss and Crawford are nice. Great fishing, the Grand Mesa and less peeps. I am to rooted in here but if I had to move...

I know several growers that have come and gone from that area. I have a fried the just bought a 2nd home in Palisade. I would have looked up Hwy 50 myself.

X

xavier7995

Someday i will be able to move away from the city...someday....

I pushed really hard to get a place up in the foothills but family needs overruled me. Had to go where good schools and medical care were abundant amd close. 12 more years then i can maybe escape the suburbs, though they are not bad at all and i only complain because i am weird.

On the plus side, saw the sun for the first time in a week. It sure made my day.

There've been plenty of bad scenarios here. It's a problem. People come out thinking it's some kind of easy weed paradise.

Nope, it's like any other place. Ya pays your money and ya takes yer chances

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
There've been plenty of bad scenarios here. It's a problem. People come out thinking it's some kind of easy weed paradise.

Good point Monty. But, you arn't stuck in urban sprawl.

Hydro8

Meth is problem on the Western Slope especially around Junction and Delta. With that you get all the usual tweaker nonsense. It is hard to find circles of people that are not contaminated by it.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Meth is problem on the Western Slope especially around Junction and Delta. With that you get all the usual tweaker nonsense. It is hard to find circles of people that are not contaminated by it.

Meth...really. Didn't know that. I gave up all drugs but marijuana in 1982, I had a 3 gram a week coke habit. Did lots of acid, speed and downers in the late 60's and early 70's. No more.....I don't even know what meth looks like.

Hydro8

Meth...really. Didn't know that. I gave up all drugs but marijuana in 1982, I had a 3 gram a week coke habit. Did lots of acid, speed and downers in the late 60's and early 70's. No more.....I don't even know what meth looks like.

Poor areas in the western US are flooded with it.. It is bad many rural places. Grand Junction and Delta have a big problem with it, many people I know from there have kids and family that got caught up in it

In Denver I never see it much besides Longmont aka Methmont.

I hate meth.. Horrible stuff, did a few grams over a couple of weeks once found myself hiding from imaginary people until it was gone. Never wanted to touch it again.. Couldn't imagine doing that stuff for years.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Funny you mention a small town like Delta having a meth problem. My family lives in a small town in Kansas. My mother died of a pain killer overdose in her sleep...heart stopped. My brother and step brother both died of opioid addiction and my niece has been in and out of rehab several times.

What is it with small town USA and drug addiction??? I hate pills and am dependent on nothing....the only thing I have ever been dependent on was chewing tobacco. Won't ever touch that shit again....