What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KungPOW!!! makes a FLIP/FLOP

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
your coil is 110v. you can use yours as 120v or 240v, if you use it for 120v ballasts you can use the one relay for two ballasts.

the coil is what you'll wire your timer to, and that flips the ballast to the other bulb

ginoberde

Thank you for the answer, this thread has teached me a lot of these devices
I wanted one very badly but the prices were just to high for me
Anyways IC mag has a very informative forum, very few forums arte like that, very few
Anyways thanx for the help

D

DB2004

Ganoderma said:
your coil is 110v. you can use yours as 120v or 240v, if you use it for 120v ballasts you can use the one relay for two ballasts.

the coil is what you'll wire your timer to, and that flips the ballast to the other bulb

Actually you shouldn't use one of those relays for two ballasts, 4 lamps. You'd only be switching the hots and the common wires would be connected. That is not a good idea. You should only use one relay per ballast and two lamps. Switch both the hot and the common wires on both lamps.

Best Regards

DB

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
DB2004 said:
Actually you shouldn't use one of those relays for two ballasts, 4 lamps. You'd only be switching the hots and the common wires would be connected. That is not a good idea. You should only use one relay per ballast and two lamps. Switch both the hot and the common wires on both lamps.

Best Regards

DB

Yeah your right, for some reason I was actaully thinking of a light contactor to turn the power on and off when I said you could use it for two ballasts on 120v.

G

Just got my new panel in today. Thanks again Big Guy. This is my 12kW panel. It's slip with two sets of timers and each one controls one side each. The unit will handle a total of 12 600HPS lights and 8 110 outlets for fans,pumps,etc. All light plugs are wired for 220 volt ballasts. Very happy with this new unit and will be wiring it up to my 12kW Diesel generator. I thought i would share a few pictures. Take care and good luck with the Flip/Flops.
Later,
BG

G

mark6699331 said:
Damn Bee-Gee whatcha got in mind! LOL

Seriously how much did that set you back?

m

Hey Mark, I think the total bill was 800 including shipping, but i was going to spend that much on a C.A.P. 16 Light Controller w/Dual Trigger. So, I the end. I got a custom unit i wanted for my setup. Half on one timer and the other half on another timer. Setup for a total of two rooms. 3600 watts total for each setup. I'm very happy with what i spent. I know there is no worries about issues and everything is clean. Just plug in and set timers and grow.
Later,
BG

germination

hey, everybody, and professionals!
I'm write from Hungary, so excuse my english. I read all the topic, and i want to make a simple flip-flop system,first with a 150watt Hps. My big problem is the relay. I really don't know the right type. I found a website in Hungary with many relay, but i can't choose. please help me. This site is international so you can help me, and I can buy. please choose one for me.
http://tme.hu/katalog/index.phtml?id_g=44&id_p=3&art=GZ4&id2=40&id_drzewo=51&s=16

my theory: 2 lamp with one ballast. (Here 240v the official, but i think it's not important.) So 240v from the wall ---- ballast (150watt 1,8A) ---- relay and of course timer (12/12, 7/24) ---- 2 lamp by turns. Thats it!!

If somebody can help me please don't hesitate, please choose one relay for me!

Thanks fwd.... Germination!

Framster

germination said:
hey, everybody, and professionals!
I'm write from Hungary, so excuse my english. I read all the topic, and i want to make a simple flip-flop system,first with a 150watt Hps. My big problem is the relay. I really don't know the right type. I found a website in Hungary with many relay, but i can't choose. please help me. This site is international so you can help me, and I can buy. please choose one for me.

my theory: 2 lamp with one ballast. (Here 240v the official, but i think it's not important.) So 240v from the wall ---- ballast (150watt 1,8A) ---- relay and of course timer (12/12, 7/24) ---- 2 lamp by turns. Thats it!!

If somebody can help me please don't hesitate, please choose one relay for me!

Thanks fwd.... Germination!

Hey G,

With 240v from your wall, you have a choice of a 16 amp or 25 amp version, These relays require 240 volts for the coil. I assume your timer is 240 also and that Europe runs on 240v.

These two relays made by SCHRACK, have bracket mounting, instead of plug -in.

RM 205730 (16A)

RM 805730 (25A)

Make sure you tell them Double Pole, Dual Throw (DPDT) if they ask what type of relay.

Good Luck,

- Framster

germination

Framster!! Thank you very much!! Now I can build. What do you think a dual pole or a double throw.
Yes , you're right my timer is working in 230 Volt.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going in to grainger

all they have are dayton DPDT

any thoughts on #5X847 or #5Z534?

page 269 in the catalog

thanks!

peace, love & coco

Anima

I agree p0rky!!!
I put a link to it in my thread...I am going to be giving it a try with my ole 400w ballast and havin some fun!! I'll pop back in here when i get it all up and runnin, and let everyone know how it goes. I'll be sure to get some pics up too!

awesome thread...definitely...definitley awesome
Cheers everyone :friends:
Happy holidays!
-Anima

Poker_Toker

so basically all i need to get is this relay from here?

235-0011_large.jpg
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=235-0011&SEARCH=&MPN=R04%2D11A30%2D120&DESC=R04%2D11A30%2D120&R=235%2D0011&sid=47CC91002C61617F#

it will be a 2 chamber magnetic 400 ballast 12/12 with 2 cmh bulbs

can you get suitable relays from home depot for 400 watters or should i go with the 20 dollar ones heavy duty?

romantiikka

DB2004 said:
From what I've seen, too many people are building flip/flops with the wrong relays that are not capable of handling the voltage spike and constant voltage powering the lamp. I also see people using copper wire rated at 300 volts. This wire is meant for residentail wiring and has a maximum rating of 300 volts, not 600 volts. Before you attempt to build any device that requires high voltages, be very sure you know what you're doing. I custom build flip/flops, timers, load centers, controllers, thermal shutdowns for any application. PM me here or send an email to info@nowirenuts.ca.

Best Regards

DB

Hello,
I need 50 post until i can PM you so it takes a little time.If you somehow see this please PM me.Also if some nice person like to send this message to him i would be gratefull.I like to buy some flip/flops but i dont get any reply to my emails.Cheers.

Anima

Heya Poker toker...that is the correct relay. I'd stick to what is known to work if you have any doubts.
romantiikka and Barn- Welcome to IC mag...you will find lots of helpful and friendly people on our boards...
May I suggest that you guys just chill out and not worry about the PM's for now...and yea it's not cool to go around posting meaningless stuff on everyones threads just to get your post count up check it #15

There is plenty of info in this thread to make a flip/flop yourself. If you really want to buy one I am sure you could find a retailer.

like I said, just chill out...take some time reading a few threads, LEARN something!!
Go and make a thread somewhere (heres a good place to start)
I mean seriously there are some great people here who have devoted a bunch of time getting knowledge out there. :rant: :respect:

M

mallyone

A little blazed, but didn't notice if anyone answered whether a flip flop can be used with digital ballasts?

m1...

D

DB2004

mallyone said:
A little blazed, but didn't notice if anyone answered whether a flip flop can be used with digital ballasts?

m1...

Digital ballasts will work with a Flip, but to be on the safe side, it's recommended to shut off the digital ballasts a few seconds to a minute before the flip cycle, then turn the digital ballasts back on a few seconds to a minute after the flip cycle. This will require a second timer or a PLC for Flips with 10 or more digital ballasts.

Best Regards

DB

Latest posts

Latest posts