What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fresh Frozen weight compared to dry weight

OregonHashishin

Hello,

I have been wondering for a while how fresh frozen bud's or trim's weight compares to it's dry weight. Interested so I can compare fresh frozen runs to dry material ice water washes?

I've read the wet to dry is about 75-80% moisture loss, but I'd assume fresh frozen has extra weight do to ice.

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers,

OregonHashishin

Maple_Flail

as far as i'm aware that percentage of moisture loss is related to the physical plant material as apposed to the oily trichomes

this is why cannabis tests significantly higher dry than wet

OregonHashishin

as far as i'm aware that percentage of moisture loss is related to the physical plant material as apposed to the oily trichomes

this is why cannabis tests significantly higher dry than wet

Moisture loss is the water lost during drying. I'm aware it has nothing to do with the trichomes.

My question is what is the average percent difference in weight of fresh frozen material compared to dry material?

I know its at least 75-80% from another thread, but I'm also assuming that freezing the material might increase the weight.

Maple_Flail

Thought you meant on the end product. as that is what matters, why the concern about the waste product?

the only difference would be temporary, freezing doesn't add weight. if anything it reduces weight.

frozen stuff will get heavier as it thaws. and the difference with the trim depends on the job done. is it two pass or is it a hustle one and done.

the final product on fresh frozen and dryed should be identical(provided identical input material), the waste product would differin while the states differ but if you are tossing it into a worm bin it can't be frozen, if you are tossing it into a garbage bin then it will thaw and it will all eventually be dry.(or all be wet.. )

MD84

Why is there such a difference in yield between wet and dry material when the same amount of trichs are there regardless of moisture content in the plant? Moisture in the waxy membrane itself?

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As the plant dries the connection between the stalk and head becomes weaker. I have always yielded more with dried material but my favourite tasting hashes were fresh.

I always thought the main reason i got more yeild dry to fresh was a higher proportion of broken off plant material. Drying the material makes it more fragile and so more likely to break in the wash. Ive looked at it under a scope and this looks to be true.

Respect
FM:monkeyeat

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Allow the material to rehydrate for longer.

If the only difference you note is the level of contaminate, you're likely agitating to hard or long.

Latest posts

Latest posts