What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeders specifically for micro grows?

q3corn

Hey guys!

So I've loved watching all of you on these forums (and many others) grow in some incredibly small and covert spaces. You've found strains that work well in cramped spaces, and you've made strains that aren't meant to fit, fit! It's really impressive.

So I recently got to thinking: there's a lot of breeders out there that focus on a lot of different characteristics like flavor, aromatics, yield, growth speed, etc. There's also a huge amount of autoflower breeders out there. But I'm not sure if there's anybody who's focusing primarily on the micro grower? You know, strains that have been developed in small spaces. My thoughts are that historically it's not really worth it because a commercial yield out of small plants is really difficult unless you do straight SOG, and that's tough for breeding because you're not working with a lot of seeds after the fact, right? I mean really, a 1oz plant full of seeds might push out 400+, but that's only really worth it for a small sample. No way is that a profitable volume.

So, I know some of you have made your own strains that work in your spaces. This is really the source of my inspiration. Why haven't we gotten to the point of building a network of micro-strains? I think, given the push towards legalization and the arrival of the average home-grower, there's a new market for micro growers. Currently I'm actively working on 2 different strains for my small LED spaces. (I'll eventually do more, but 2 is enough work right now!) The goal eventually is to get my plants to F5 or so, where I can throw a few seeds in a cabinet and know what I'm getting. It would save energy on cloning and keeping mom plants alive in an already cramped space. Why spend 3 square feet and 100 watts of power to keep mom plants alive when you can just keep a jar of seeds around?

I guess I wanna start a dialogue to figure out if I'm just really high and hopeful, or if anyone else thinks there might be room for something like this. I'm gonna do it either way, but what do you think? maybe there's someone doing this already that I don't know about?

If this is the wrong forum, sorry! I was thinking about putting this in a Strains & Breeding thread, but I figured the micro grows section would have a more selective audience.

zif

Veteran
What traits define the perfect micro-grow plant for you?

I can think of many that might be nice for micro-grows, but on the other hand it's already possible to grow just about any photoperiod variety in just about any space....

q3corn

What traits define the perfect micro-grow plant for you?

I can think of many that might be nice for micro-grows, but on the other hand it's already possible to grow just about any photoperiod variety in just about any space....

That's totally true, and I guess maybe I don't know what *specifically* defines something as good for micro, I was just thinking that most genetics aren't necessarily developed with that in mind. Yeah, anything can be grown as a bonsai if it's trained well enough, but is there anything that we're not really aware of?

I guess I'm attempting to experiment with that now, where for several generations a plant is kept in small pots in small spaces. How long does something have to be selectively bred before the environment starts to make an effect on it?

zif

Veteran
So, like a micro landrace? =)

I think it’s a fun idea. Some traits to consider:
  • speed of response to 12/12
  • no stretch / low stretch / highly uniform stretch
  • no quirky responses to flowering young (esp. odd male flowers on females)
  • no quirky responses to being rootbound (esp. odd male flowers on females and/or autoflowering)
  • strong canopy forming habit (fills in male gaps readily)
  • short petioles
  • small fan leaves

What else? All of these are nice for smaller setups, but I know the list could be much longer....

q3corn

^Exactly! Cool, I started to doubt whether this was a good idea or a highdea, ya know?

My main goal is rootbound resistance. I'm keeping everything in pots smaller than 1/2 gallon, and some of these have been like that for 2 years! But pretty much every strain I have gotten from clone HATES being in half-gallon pots for more than a month. They stress out and eat themselves, especially the Northern Lights that I have. I wanna avoid that happening.

That1RN

I'm definitely interested and subbing up. I have no input as I am currently preparing for my first grow ever. That being said I will probably be a microgrower for a while since I am only providing meds for my wife and I so I a jar full of seeds that i can just throw in and know, hey in 70 days I'm gonna have a couple of perfect 12-18 inch tall plants turning out an ounce or so.

That1RN

I swear my phone hates forums. It was supposed to say. So knowing instead of cloning I can know I have a jar full of seeds that...

Train your plants to do this

Attachments

• KIMG0096.jpg
    KIMG0096.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 50

doams

best strain for micro grows for me is the one that starts flowering asap ideally around day 15-17 from seed under 12/12 but that is more like being lucky and finding that one fast early flowering pheno within same strain..

maybe breeding those fast phenos and creating strain off it somehow and making it stable?
but that is not easy thing I would imagine but I know nothing about breeding.

dunno if that is even possible.
nature likes variation right?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Also depends on the type of micro-grow. 12/12 from seed and sea of green setups would focus on "One main cola" genetics. LST, Supercropping and Scrog would focus on genetics which try to produce the same sized flower at every node.

There are a lot of 'head stash' strains which don't produce much in larger grows... yet perfectly fine yields with canopy management in a micro grow. I'd look along these lines as well. ;)

q3corn

Paradox: Yeah, training can do wonders, and pretty much anything can be made to work in a small space. Almost any plant can be made bonsai, right? I guess that's the big question for whether this idea is even worth looking into.

Doams: Fast flowering I guess is a goal. I think limited stretch and ability to handle smaller root space is a little more what I'm talking about. There's plenty of early girl strains out there, but my thoughts about them were more about getting a plant done early in an outdoor setting. Of course it would work in a cabinet, too.

Both good points. I'm wondering: is it worth it to bother to breed in small spaces? Does the plant care? Is there a market for it?

Edit: Douglas you snuck in there. I'm really into the quick 12/12 from seed idea. Something that produces consistent, dense, single colas that can be grown in a sea of green style.

thenewstyle

i think a lot of the cookies strains grow well in microgrows, they grow nice and compact and they pack on the density so you still get good weight

Maple_Flail

sounds like you want something line worked for consistency then S1'd for mostly uniformity, but not line worked too far to take all the potency out of it.

nothing like that comes to mind.

jcloud777

sounds like you want something line worked for consistency then S1'd for mostly uniformity, but not line worked too far to take all the potency out of it.

nothing like that comes to mind.
I don't understand why alot of people on alot of forum websites. Keep saying S1s grow true to parent 1. It don't grow true to parent. It grows randomized it'spossible to get something same is parent, but not everytime. That's facts an science. Alot of disinformation being spread. I don't mean to sound mean towards you or anything like that. Im not trying to offend you. Fellow grower just don't know why everyone keeps saying this false claim. Makes forums a waste of time and extremely inaccurate. Im a noob grower but done the correct research.

jcloud777

OP great thread I would recommend breeding with auto regulars over auto feminized. But you can do whatever you like. Regulars are what these breeders like short stuff, sensi, dutch passion and many others use to create crosses, because you get both male and female offspring. Feminized is for high chance female ratio. People grow feminized for smoke. If you use feminized to breed. It splits the chromosomes in half. Creates chromosomal changes. You can just create feminized seeds. If you'd prefer mostly female offspring. But like I said you can breed however you like.

Maple_Flail

I don't understand why alot of people on alot of forum websites. Keep saying S1s grow true to parent 1. It don't grow true to parent. It grows randomized it'spossible to get something same is parent, but not everytime. That's facts an science. Alot of disinformation being spread. I don't mean to sound mean towards you or anything like that. Im not trying to offend you. Fellow grower just don't know why everyone keeps saying this false claim. Makes forums a waste of time and extremely inaccurate. Im a noob grower but done the correct research.

and now many multi generation line worked S1 have you worked with? i'm not talking about S1's off an F1 hybrid.

If i'm taking a large strain, and looking for something micro sized in it. it going to be likely mainly influenced by the recessive traits.

if you do your homework, line worked for stability so you limit the random crap.

i'm not saying its 1:1 but if you are trying to take something big and make it work in Micro that isn't exactly 1:1 either

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OP great thread I would recommend breeding with auto regulars over auto feminized. But you can do whatever you like. Regulars are what these breeders like short stuff, sensi, dutch passion and many others use to create crosses, because you get both male and female offspring. Feminized is for high chance female ratio. People grow feminized for smoke. If you use feminized to breed. It splits the chromosomes in half. Creates chromosomal changes. You can just create feminized seeds. If you'd prefer mostly female offspring. But like I said you can breed however you like.

Autos are the absolute for microgrows!

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
nice dropped cat,, also dont use autos, use regular dank genes, any plant can fit ny where.all plants auto flower if the light is always on 1212 ,variety is the best weed, so grow multiple strains , in my exp i like weed that tastes great mostly over potency , cause if it doesnt taste good i wont reach for that jar so , thats my 2 cents

jcloud777

and now many multi generation line worked S1 have you worked with? i'm not talking about S1's off an F1 hybrid.

If i'm taking a large strain, and looking for something micro sized in it. it going to be likely mainly influenced by the recessive traits.

if you do your homework, line worked for stability so you limit the random crap.

i'm not saying its 1:1 but if you are trying to take something big and make it work in Micro that isn't exactly 1:1 either
Line worked? I wouldn't even play with S1s to begin with. Your trying to make fun of me about stability LOL. Your talking about breeding a sexually unstable seed do your homework. I would just buy a seed an breed. You got super offended by what I said.I will no longer argue back an forth about something stupid. I know your going to have something wierd to say. Don't bother im leaving this thread. I don't post threads on this site. It's a tiny community not worth the trouble.