What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do i have to flush if im using organic soil?

Hi people, as the title asks, do i need to flush my plants if im using organic soil. Im not using any feed, im only using water and organic soil...thats it.

Thanks in advanced :)

420Barista

ok green machine if you were using an organic SUPER soil then I would say No need to flush, But Canna coco on its own is not enough unless your also using their nutrient line specifically designed to use in a coco soil plus I would also get cal mag to be safe. and if your using those nutrients then i would say yes flushing is necessary

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if you use the food soil web to feed your plants you do not need to flush if you let them maturate properly

feeding via ions, different story

KONY

Veteran
I've tried many peoples pot that grown organically with too much amendments, they did water only, but the pot smokes like shit. If the plant is bright green at chop....even a week before chop, it's not going to smoke right. I'm not talking about the big fan leafs either, I am talking about the inner buds and smaller leafs.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've tried many peoples pot that grown organically with too much amendments, they did water only, but the pot smokes like shit.
Yep...

This is because cannabis plants use more pathways of uptake than "Passive Ionic Uptake." (the holy grail of organic growers)

Overly amended soils produce cannabis of low quality which no amount of flushing will fix. Cannabis binds excess elements directly to new growth tissues. Locks it in.

Properly amended organic soils are nearly depleted of amendments at least a week before harvest.

Last edited:

EastCoast710

since u don't understand that canna coco isn't soil. lol. and yes if you use coco u usually flush because u pound then with nutes..

if your using an organic soil it all depends are u only feeding phed water into a super soil or ?

OGW does Fox farm ocean forest.. and he transplants then flips to flower.. and feeds water all the way through with perfect flush and meds.

jahshaka

yes i agree the greener the plant end of life cycle...the greener and blander the taste. Amending soil to the right ratios to time its flush is a trial and error thing when one starts of.
I hope my organic mix works out. some have become faded already in week 6 not good methinks.

Thanks for the help peeps. I know industrial hemp absorbs heavy metals from the soil , and cannabis is its cousin, so just incase im gonna flush.

One more question. Can i feed my plants black strap mollasses, or will that encourage mold growth?

hillbil

Molasses is always good and feeds the herd and supplies K. I use it and Alfalfa meal more than anything else by far.

I was told if you're using something like flora series than you want to use a flushing agent and then flush for three days and then you are fine and for organic I have been told that you do not need to flush but if you want you probably could use the same method for non-organic and you also can flush up to three weeks although I often wondered how one could incorporate a bloom booster into a system that has you feeding pure water for 3 full weeks

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Although, I know nothing about growing in coco, I can state that once something like heavy metals (polonium 210, etc.) are stored in plant tissues, no amount of flushing will eliminate them.

Shovelhandle

yes i agree the greener the plant end of life cycle...the greener and blander the taste. Amending soil to the right ratios to time its flush is a trial and error thing when one starts of.
I hope my organic mix works out. some have become faded already in week 6 not good methinks.

I just finished a run that did not drop leaves or fade out. Very green, very surprising. The organic kelp meal provided N right through the 7 week veg and 12+ week bloom. I was concerned a little. However, the taste and smells are outstanding. Better than my last run by far and those plants did fade and drop fan leaves normally. So we can be surprised on occasion.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I just finished a run that did not drop leaves or fade out. Very green, very surprising. The organic kelp meal provided N right through the 7 week veg and 12+ week bloom. I was concerned a little. However, the taste and smells are outstanding. Better than my last run by far and those plants did fade and drop fan leaves normally. So we can be surprised on occasion.
Quality can be permanently compromised during the grow, even with well faded plants. I keep posting about how cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator and growers simply gloss over it.

Essentially, excess elements (whether organic amendments or refined mineral based) are permanently bound to new growth tissue, where they will never flush out.

Sounds like your mix was much closer to what the plants needed this run. That same mix, amended less heavily, so it fades properly, will grow better quality than your last run. As long as the strains and environment are very near the same.

St. Phatty

It depends a lot on the age of the plant and the nature of the plant.

I notice some seedlings just are overwhelmed by org. soil that other plants are happy with.

One of the best smokes I had in 2016 was an Apollo 11 F3 that was NOT LIKING its soil. Just growing frumpy.

Neighbor grower suggesting giving it a good Flush. Which I did.

G*d D*mn ! AWESOME fvcking weed !

Meanwhile her sisters were just growing normally in the perhaps-slightly-strong org. soil.

Masterlow

I have noticed when growing in heavily amended soil that plants will start their own fade no matter how much nutes is still available to them, this is why the no-till method works.

You can have soil with enough nutrients for a round or two ( maybe some small amendments between cycling) the plants will still fade properly when they are finished flowering.

Many growers want to chop their plants at the right time to suit their usage (cerebral / sleep / appetite) but if you wait for the plant, it will 'flush' itself when it is finished. People forget that the flowering cycle is the end of the female plants life, and that she puts everything into her buds, if you wait she will do just that, and you wont have to flush.

Just because the seed pack says 9 weeks, doesn't mean at exactly 9 weeks she should come down, if you watch closely, they will tell you when they're done, this will teach you patience, otherwise if you looking at trics to get you're preferred cloudy/amber ratio, then it is quite hard to supply just enough nutrients that they are depleted when you want to chop.

Only ever done organic soil, only time i flush is when i made a soil batch that is depleted before the end of flower, then biobizz until 12 days before chop, then plain water.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Climate plays a role as well. In nature fall/winter comes, the temps drop and nutrients become less available in the soil so the plant consumes itself.

To me the difference between a faded plant and a green one is a longer cure. A faded plant is ready to smoke much sooner, while one that is green and healthy needs a longer cure to bring out the flavors and smoother smoke.

If the Canna is going to be stored and cured, I prefer to pick a bit early, green, healthy. Stores way better, looks fresh a lot longer, and eventually you get the same smoke.

If a plant is really ripe, and really faded, it will already be oxidizing and loosing its green color. Couple months on the shelf and it will be gold/yellow/brown. For personal smoke, awesome. For bag appeal.. not so much. People like bright green. Bright green, bright orange hairs, bright purple, will catch someone's eye.

My two cents,
Mr^^

Latest posts

Latest posts