What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GAVITA Pro 1000 DE

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right. I installed 3 20amp breakers for my room a while back. Not gonna mess with upgrading them to 240v at the moment. Thanks for your help.

R.Fortune

1haole

Super stoked on all the praise and info that I have found on this thread!! I ordered 2 Pro 1000 DE's this past tuesday and they should arrive by next week wednesday. Today is the day I was going to run 240v into my grow room. I am no electrician (i am a actually a plumber lol.....) I can barely change the end of a cord out! Am I to understand that from a previous post that all I have to do is swap out a breaker and change the outlet to accommodate a NEMA 6-15 plug? The existing wire in the wall to the 120v outlet is a big enough wire to accommodate the electrical requirements? I read somewhere that a #12 wire was recommended. I was going to bring in a big, beefy wire (easily an inch thick) that is feeding a jacuzzi that we no longer use. I had to install (hire an electrician) a 30 amp breaker to accomplish this. Is this way OVERKILL for the requirements of the Gavita Pro?
Please forgive me for my ignorance, any electrical advice you could give me would be appreciated!! It's going to be somewhat evasive to run a new wire to my grow room so obviously using the existing wire is a HUGE bonus if this is the case. Much Mahalos in advance!!

1haole

Qupte: "I'm not an electrician but I think you can swap your 120v breakers for 240v 15amp breakers (not very common) if you have enough space on your panel. You would only be able to run 2 1000's (5.06 amps each) on each circuit tho."

1haole

I got it figured out!! I added a 2 pole 240v 15amp breaker to my panel and ran #12/3 wire to my room where I installed two separate single gang boxes. Couldn't find a 2 outlet with the configuration required. Came out clean!! Can you say "fishing"? Lol...................

O

OneTokeOver

Yeah, you over killed it, lol.

That's the way I roll too, but for future information, the breaker is there to protect the wiring not the appliance. std. 14/2 is all that is required for 15 amps.

You need a timer in there somewhere. What I did was run the wire from the breaker to a T104 timer. from there I went to 3 (2 in your case) separate 14/2 wires to single gang boxes.

You are going to love those lights dude. Have fun.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Not trying to speak for Wassup, but I am running 3 1000 DE over 5x5 tables and am very happy with the coverage. Much better than the Lumatek, Adjustawing & Eye horti combs I am running in another room.

Personally, I love the small foot print of the reflector. It doesn't block the circulation air like the giant AAW's.

Do you mind me asking what kind of yields your getting with your 5x5 tables and 1000W gavitas?? Strain? Veg time? Flower time? Nutes?

THANKS!!!!! :thank you:

MtnLivin

My buddy just pulled his best harvest to date with these.. He's been growing for a loooong time too.. I will be making the switch soon!

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Whazzup: Is that a 4 x 4 tent your running, what are your temps in there? I am running a 400w Daystar, but Im afraid of the temps if I make the switch to a 600w Gavita in my 4 x 4 tent. I am running Co2, so I have to a/c the room anyway but still. I dont exhaust the tent and light anymore, just a/c with a booster fan in front of it pushing cold air into the tent. I have tried to run the light without the glass, but it seems to get hot in there compared to with it. Kinda too hot, plus I touched my head to the bulb lol. Yes it was hot, and I did it two or tree times lol. I will turn my ballast to 400w Super Lumens and see what kind of temps i end up with... Well thanks guys!

whazzup

Veteran
You can use a 600W lamp in a meter by a meter without airco in a 24 celcius environment with only passive inlets.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Im not sure I understand you... I get that you are saying you can use the 600w in a 3'x3' tent, but I don't get what you mean by "without airco"? Thanks again!

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Hmmm, I getcha now... By passive does he just mean a hole in the tent? I am using a 400w in a 4x4 tent with just fresh cool air being pushed in. I am not exhausting because I am running Co2. My temps in there reach about 79-81degrees or about 26 or 27 celsius... Thanks again guys!
I am very interested in the Gavita 600w light setup, but am afraid of the temps getting too hot in the tent

whazzup

Veteran
I use 600W lamps in a 1 meter tent without any climate problems with the input temperature as high as 24 degrees Celsius.

Be sure that your inlet is about 5-7 times the surface of your extraction or you will not have enough air flow or a tornado in your tent. Grow tents usually have passive inlets at 3 sides. Open those. Be sure to put the tent in a dark room then to prevent light leaks into the tent.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Thanks Whazzup. Umm, I run Co2 so I don't think it would work... I know your supposed to run Co2 in a sealed room, but I have the tent in a 9x10' room and put a draftguard under the door so the Co2 doesnt leak out of the room. I know its not sealed but it seems to work, and any leakage hopefully will get sucked up by my veg tent intake. The only way I really see the 600w Gavita working in my Flower tent, would be to stop running Co2 and to exhaust the tent while a/c-ing the intake. I would still have to a/c the room because I sometimes would have to close the door if someone comes over who doesnt know anything lol. I talked to the guy/owner of grow shop, asked him what he thought about stopping Co2 and exhausting tent... He told me to stick with Co2, but I think he said that because he just wants to keep selling me Co2 lol!-and he's always pushing the Gavita's!! Is height of the tent an issue? My tent is 6.5' How far do you keep the light from the canopy of the plants? What is your growing style, pots, yields, soil, coco, hydro? Thanks again for your input, and help! Happy toKin!!

whazzup

Veteran
Some of your questions go beyond the scope of this topic, but there are air recirculating coolers that should do the job easily, even for small tents. I'm not sure what is available in the US but in Europe I already saw very affordable stand-alone (even water cooled) air conditioning units for that purpose. Make sure though that your humidity levels stay high enough when you use air conditioning.

Anyways, using CO2 and air cooling in a 1 meter tent is a bit overdone, IMHO it's not worth the trouble for the extra 10-15% in a 1 meter tent. In any case you do need some air refreshment even with CO2.

I prefer to grow in large pots, organic, scrog. A gram per watt is the average yield.