What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps)

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Sunlight Supply SUCKS!!! I called to get support from them to hang my new Gavita's and was told that I would have to go back to the store I bought them from and have them submit a request for a lighting plan and then wait for THEM to get back to me. What a crock of SH**!! Surely did not make me wait a week to give them a SH**POT full of $$ for the fixtures. Can not even describe how pissed I am that I have a stack of new lights and can not hang them. About to lose my mind. It's Friday and my customer wants his lights hung NOW, not in a week or two when/if they decide to get back to me.
If anyone can help, the rooms are 5.9m x 3.55m being lit with 8 pro 1000 e-series complete fixtures. Thanks guys, sorry for the rant.

Well first off your size room calls for 12 1k's Do you plan to set up and come out of a corner. As you may know you lose to the walls and the larger the room with out the proper amount of light you lose efficiency and optimal conditions.

What are your concerns? Im not an expert by far but I know a little from reading and talking with wass~up over the years.

kgbudman

12? I could see 10. currently running 40w sq/ft so i calculated it the same for this place. Basically I wanted to get the placement just right for even coverage of the entire room. I think it is totally F'd up that Sunlight Supply will market these lights to the masses and then tell me that, and I quote "due to federal laws and what the lights MIGHT be used to grow, I can't give you that information". So you can sell it to me but not provide me with tech support.? All I asked was for proper light placement in a given ares. I CALL BULLSHIT!!! TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

12? I could see 10. currently running 40w sq/ft so i calculated it the same for this place. Basically I wanted to get the placement just right for even coverage of the entire room. I think it is totally F'd up that Sunlight Supply will market these lights to the masses and then tell me that, and I quote "due to federal laws and what the lights MIGHT be used to grow, I can't give you that information". So you can sell it to me but not provide me with tech support.? All I asked was for proper light placement in a given ares. I CALL BULLSHIT!!! TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

If you have a square room the very basic rule of thumb is the center of bulb should be 3 ft off walls and 5ft center to center of bulb

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Well the easy way formula Ive devised is this.
Your room is
12'x20' correct?

So that is 240sqft x 100 = 240,000 divided by 2000 uol per 1k...= #12

How I came up with this formula is Wass-up says that 3 gavita can cover 2 4'x8' tables end to end instead of the conventional 4x 1k we are used to because the amount of uol the gavata's produce. So with that being said.

4'x16'=64 x 100= 6400 divided by 2000 uol = 3.2

Now this is for 98% efficiency (losing some to walls) of course you can do less.

kgbudman

Yeah I got ya but...I'm gonna sat that those 2 4x8's with plants is covering more like a 5x18-19' area. I can figure how to place them EXACTLY proportionally to the area. What I don't know how to do is adjust slightly closer to the walls to allow for losses and overlap and tell myself that at x distance from the canopy I will have x umol's at x % uniformity at the 1000w setting and the same for the 1150w setting.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Yeah I got ya but...I'm gonna sat that those 2 4x8's with plants is covering more like a 5x18-19' area. I can figure how to place them EXACTLY proportionally to the area. What I don't know how to do is adjust slightly closer to the walls to allow for losses and overlap and tell myself that at x distance from the canopy I will have x umol's at x % uniformity at the 1000w setting and the same for the 1150w setting.

Well How I do that is I get a light meter and set it to candle light and I measure roughly ware the top of the canopy is going to be and range it from 4500-4800 foot candles and a foot off the tables (figuring for pot height) around 2200. This will get you in the ball park. For your height as far as walls After playing around and talking with a good friend I found at least 3'.5" to center of the bulbs other wise they begin to heat the walls. I use Orca as well it is the best. For overlap the meter will help also with bulb placement. This is just how I do it.

kgbudman

I have both a footcandle meter and a PAR meter.I use a 4ft high rolling cart with the sensor sitting on top. Measure carefully from the floor up to the light and set all lights at the same height. Now just roll the cart around and record my shit!! I am a perfectionist so, the small details eat me up.I have seen the data I want given to others and....that's what I want. That, in my mind, is part of what I paid for, and it WAS NOT CHEAP !

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
So what is it you want? If you have those instruments and the know how why would even bother asking anyone else? I don't get it...

kgbudman

I can get close but I want better. I need to install blocking where the lights will be hung from 12ft ceiling. It's a new room. Cant take readings from lights that are not yet hung...incorrectly.

kgbudman

What I really wanted was tech support in return for my customer spending $ on their product. Guess that's too much to ask. Originally, that was my point. I can hang a freakin light. :)

whazzup

Veteran
Instead of going through the trouble of making an ICmag account to get some Gavita advice, I urge you all to just contact through the website, www.gavita-holland.com - support. There is a faq as well. Do not make the mistake to contact our horticultural sister companies at gavita.com or gavita.nl.

I unfortunately do not have the time anymore to frequently update or comment in these threads.

But by all means of course make an ICmag account to interact with fellow members on this forum.

bikhomes

Posting here since my support ticket in to Gavita-Holland hasn't been answered yet. It's only been a couple days but SS is getting a shipment of the 750's soon and I'd like to make my decision.

Building out a larger grow and we're going with Gavitas. The room is about 35 x 35 with 8' ceilings. The ceiling height has me looking at the 6/750 FLEX, possibly running at 825w most of the time.

An image posted by whazzup showing optimal spacing for the 750 leaves me with 48 fixtures in the space, a grid of 8 by 6, spaced exactly as defined by Gavita.

Anyone running larger Gavita set ups that can comment on my choice of the 6/750 here? It would seem since there is so much overlap that this will be plenty of light, and we can keep the canopy ~3ft (or farther, due to the overlap?) from the lights pretty easily.

Another question: Is the cooling requirements Gavita lists accurate enough? At 825w Gavita recommends 3,300btu cooling for each fixure. That's 13.2 tons for the fixtures themselves and I was thinking of having 15-16 tons available with the extra cooling for co2 burners and dehumidifier.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Latest posts