What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

> Doubleruder II X Royal Dane <> 250W HPS <> Soil <

UnNatuReal

Hi,

My friend donated to me some Doubleruder II X Royal Dane seeds. These are from outdoors last summer. Main point of my grow is to get some smoke for myself, but why not test this interesting cross same time and hopefully do next generation for future uses.

Doubleruder II is one of my own lines including Ruderalis Indica and Lowryder. It has early and potent Ruderalis Indica female found from IX1 generation of Sensi's seeds what was bred by finnish outdoor grower looking for earliest flowering parents. That one really started to flower under 24 hours of lights and luckily was potent trippy indica high. It is crossed to Lowryder male, incrossed, crossed again to Lowryder male and incrossed again. I have been mostly looking for fastest flowerers keeping in mind that this line could be cool for some crossings to other strains.

Female of those is pollinated with Royal Dane male outdoors. Here you can see some pics of mother of that male on first post of page grown outdoors in Finland. Quite impressive. It is said it was trippy indica high, even it looks more like sativa. Well, I think it looks like to have some indica characteristics too..

I have cross here what I suppose to be trip to indica world by smoking it. Everyone does not like that kind of stuff, but actually by my self I would like to have lots of different stuff for different feelings. And know about what to get. I hope it will also show me some semi-autoflowering and healthy parents for next generation.

Often autoflower crosses are done other way, using AF male and regular female, but this is interesting to see if can get more autoflowering to first generation this way, but of course I don't have Royal Dane X Doubleruder II to compare. At first I will keep lights 24h and then think if I reduce daytime to 16 hours or 12 hours. At least 4 hours of dark I will give anyway when flowering started.

Another point on making this diary is that I have been too lazy lately in growings, hoping that making this gets me to do things better. I really love growing (and home breeding), but need to get things working again. I have good memories of making diarys at some other forums. My diarys are maybe more "grow shows" than helpfull material to beginners or something like that, but who cares.

So, I have 12 seeds, small closet, 250W HPS and soil. I'm going to plant seeds after germinating to 3 liter rose pots and look then if plant females to bigger box with separating or all together.

And here we go..

31.12.2009: Germinating started!

1-2.1.2010: Seems like some of seeds are germinating..

3.1.2010: I planted seven germinated seeds and two "semi-germinated" seeds. Three last seeds are still on germinating.

4.1.2010: Two first seedlings popped from soil and I can see two more coming soon. Looks like one more seed is germinating of three left.

UnNatuReal

5.1.2010: Five and half more seedlings popped from soil. So, now I have almost nine seedlings. One more germinated seed planted.

6.1.2010: Now all 9 seedlings first planted are growing and one later planted still waiting to come up. I don't think two last seeds will germinate and I did hide them to side of some pots already having seedling.

Looks like I have to move my grow to bigger closet... At least until males are identified..

Hmmm, maybe I could germinate/plant some regular Doubleruder II seeds too to bigger closet for Dr II X (Dr II X RD) line, besides Dr II X RD F2's what interest me more (or for just in case if I get only females or males). Bigger closet is enough for 15 pcs of those rose pots. But I'm still planning to plant Doubleruder II X Royal Dane females to bigger root space when identified. I wait for last seedling to come up and decide then.

love?

Hi, cool project! I'll be following with interest for sure.

I like the idea of using Royal Dane to improve an autoflowering variety. It's a really tasty strain and I think even ok at fighting off molds, both traits that are a bit lacking at least in the original Lowryder.

I made a similar cross myself last year: Lowryder (f) x Royal Dane (m). Unfortunately it turned out really crap; tiny unvigorous plants. I think my mistake was using a small "mini-pheno" Lowryder as the mom. Or more accurately relying on only one set of parents and still hoping for success. But I only got one of my old and poorly stored Lowryder beans to pop so that was what I had to work with...

Hopefully this cross your friend made is better. Well I'm sure it is as my experiment isn't hard to beat... so in fact let's hope this cross you're growing out now is much better. :)

UnNatuReal

Hi love?! Thanks for your interest :)

Yes, I believe Royal Dane is great for autoflower variety because of things you said.

I have used mini-phenos sometimes in Doubleruder II line and other crossings with ok results. So, I think it can't be only reason for your unsuccess.

I think there are two kind of mini-phenos on autoflower plants. Other is kind of runt and other just start to flower heavily somewhere between third and fifth leaf nodes.

Well, only thing I know about closest parents of this cross is that female was not molded..

UnNatuReal

7-10.1.2010: Just watching for seedlings to grow and waiting for last one to come up.. Watered two times a little on surface to get better humidity.

11.1.2010: I did mixture of nutes and other stuff what I found for first watering.

I like to water once a lot and then wait for soil to be dryish and water lot of again and so on. Soil is recycled and I have not given nutes before on this grow.

Last tenth seedling was not strong enough to survive and pop up from soil I think (I tried to look what has happened to it, but can't find it). Also ninth seedlings looked a bit weak at first and now it looks runted, but is still growing.

Well, I "precracked" ungermed seeds manually as usual. That maybe gives possibilty for weak germs to try even they might not be strong enough to crack seed themself :p Maybe I should germinate next time longer last helped ones before planting...

But now I can continue grow on smaller closet what is on safer place making me feel more comfortable :)

Siberian

Greetings my brother in crime..:biggrin:
Will be watching this with great intrest.
There were "triangle" of plants where those beans came from..A RD male were in threesome with Doubleruder II and RD females (lucky bastard), so there prolly be "pure" RD beans in your closet as well->not a bad thing in my book, somewhat airy buds thou but great smoke.

UnNatuReal

Greets Siberian :)

Do you mean seeds are probably a bit messed up when collected? Thats not bad, even of course it would be better to know exact genetics. Now if I manage to do next generation, I can't be sure if it's pure Royal Dane, backcross to Royal Dane or Doubleruder II X Royal Dane F2 (what I want mostly, looking for autoflower parents from that generation).

Anyway, I think if some of these plants will semi-autoflower, those are probably ones I am looking for.

Of course it would be also interesting to get pure Royal Dane female too to compare.

Siberian

Do you mean seeds are probably a bit messed up when collected? Thats not bad, even of course it would be better to know exact genetics.
Anyway, I think if some of these plants will semi-autoflower, those are probably ones I am looking for.
Yep, that`s what i ment..and in my book Royal Dane is an semi-autoflower strain anyway.
I think you can tell DR II from RD by comparing buds->RD has airy buds, DR`s buds are much more compact. And of course RD is a bigger plant.
So if u get plant(s) that are bigger than DR II but has compact buds then..:smokeit:

UnNatuReal

Thanks for info and advices Siberian!

I found close up pictures of Royal Dane buds, giving me some idea what those looks like.

UnNatuReal

12-15.1.2009: Nothing special happened. There is a bit too warm in closet, but I'm too lazy to build up cooling. There is one fan, but it is not placed well at all. Maybe I try to go with that until I replant females, depends on how things continues.

16.1.2009: Biggest seedling is forming some preflowers. Smallest seedling is way better now, corrected itself and growing significantly narrower leafs than others.

17.1.2009: Now I think biggest is probably male (on the right of front in pic).. Other plant on it's left might be male too.. So... If biggest male is also earliest, then what should I do with rest..? I know I could get some info also how those get's me high or about some other traits, but should done that earlier, and use male clone for pollinating. Well, not any hurry to pull down extra males, when I'm not even 100% sure of their gender yet.

18.1.2009: Plants felt so thirsty that I watered again with some nutes and given them a little pure water also somewhere after last update.

UnNatuReal

19.1.2010: I think I have 4 males now.

20.1.2010: Damn, seems I'm getting a lot of males...

Maybe Royal Dane genetics are so much more dominating than Doubleruder II genetics, that it's causing this, or it can be just about luck and/or growing conditions.

Now the plants are placed so that suspected males are behind, too early to say however, only two at right of front are not forming any preflowers yet, and on others those looks more like male flowers.. Well, I hope that little sweetie at center on front will be female at least, but starts to look that I should start some other project besides this if want to get more bud.

UnNatuReal

At least I'm getting nice selection of males to choose from :D

21-22.1.2010: Trying to identify plant genders.

23-24.1.2010: My formerly "sweetie" looks like to be male too. BUT most sativa look plant what was runted at begining might be female (I really hope it will). Also there is one suspect male what I'm not sure yet at all (plant on left of front at last pic). 4 of males are 100% sure, if they don't decide to change gender, and rest are much like.

UnNatuReal

25.1.2010: Most sativa look plant seems to be male too. I have still that one what could be female...

26.1.2010: Rose pots are getting too little, but because these are not fully autoflowering plants that does not bother me too much, and I still wait before any possible replantings.

27.1.2010: First pistil !! On a plant what had also some much like male preflowers (but not one of sure males). I tried to scratch all other preflowers out of it and wish it will continue forming female flowers.

There has to be something on my grow conditions what is trying to turn borderline cases on male side, too much red light and too warm maybe.. Still also getting mostly males can be about luck or genetics as I speculated earlier...

I don't replant that one yet. Waiting for one plant to show gender. 7 of plants are starting to have clusters of stamens. Btw, these are still on 24 hours of lights.

Pics of all and pistil plant:

UnNatuReal

28.1.2010: Last unidentified plant shows pistil too!

Now I have two females for replanting and seven males to choose from as father(s?) to next generation.

Smallest male won't be one. 3-4 biggest males are maybe not good choise, because they might be pure Royal Danes... One of them is also hardly branching, so that is out of plans anyway. Not sure about a bit sativa look male, not good for stabilising maybe..

Maybe I choose only one male what looks very similar to first shown female. Second female looks a bit different than any other of plants.

I have some time to think and hear opinions before do anything radical :D

UnNatuReal

Yes, these can lack a little of Mg or somehing else too. Recycled soil is not most rich one :D One Part what I have given includes magnesium, but maybe I should been giving it more (at last watering I gave it quite a lot).

There has been a little break on my growings and in some cases I'm like a newbie again :)

Also third plant decided to start grow pistils... And that had some sure stamens... I don't think it is hermaphrodite (or I hope it is not), because I have seen this sometimes before on autoflower genetics, males changing gender permanently to female.

UnNatuReal

29.1.2010: Had to do some decisions.. I can't wait to see if some male still want to start grow pistils, because plants have run out of rootspace and some males can start to release pollen soon. So, I started what I continued next day.

30.1.2010: I replanted three females to bigger pot, all together without separating.

Choosed that nice medium size male for next gen what I thought earlier. That is also fastest flowerer, even some others were not far behind. It was quite easy to choose at last, because all others had some things what I did not liked to compared to this one and females. Well, thats not maybe still perfect, but good enough.

31.1.2010: Nothing special happened.

1.2.2010: Plants are starting to feel much better now.

2.2.2010: Male has opened first pollen sacks.

I think I switch to 12/12 flowering soon. Any ideas how much these could stretch in flowering? Doubleruder II can reduce strecthing of Royal Dane some what (and hopefully it will).

These are on semiflowering now, I mean they have started flowering and will continue it faster when switch to 12/12. It is confusing when both are called sometimes semi-autoflowering, starting flowering before switch to flowering and fully flowering in long day like 18/6.

Anyway, females look like that today:

Suomi-Prkl

Veteran
they do look a lot like royal danes i've seen. what light schedule are you now in? maybe gradually go to something like 14/10, within a months period ? imitating outdoor.

i would suggest some lst/tying methods with those, they can really put some size in them if flipped straight, being outdoorplants and all..

looks good anyways, great that you posted a diary!

UnNatuReal

Hi Suomi-Prkl,

These are still on 24 hours of lights schedule. I have been too lazy to think about imitating outdoor :D But thats a good idea.. Maybe I first reduce to 18/6 and look what happens before go to 12/12.

Some LST to two bigger females could be good, but I'm happy even without maximum yield. Maybe I do some very ligth LST, if don't want to see how these will look without :)