What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wiring TG11 Socket Remote CFL lamps

Squeeky

no you can use standard as long as they are rated for 55w t5.

I had been all about DIY, but after attempting to mount my make-shift european terminal socket, I'm openning my wallet. They are extremely hard to mount flush, and the bulbs do not stay flat. One was level, the other had an upward tilt.

I would like to build a reflector and something to mount my sockets on to. I doesn't have to be movable as I can just raise the plants. Any recommendations? I just made a frame with wood to hold the euro sockets, but I figured I could try something a little cleaner with the sockets.

Squeeky

PS I have 2 ok my 55w running for several hours, the ballast was still cool to the touch. The lamps where very warm, but I could still hold onto them. This is with no circulation fans, I am going to love these things. Should be able to get very quiet.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Do you HAVE to use a Fulham? Or can i use a ballast for a shop light if it has the same wattage rating? like one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=fluorescent+ballast

Tell them you have a T5HO lamp to drive. Then give them the wattage of all your lamps combined. Look for a ballast or series of ballasts that will run your lamps.
Edit: I looked at those ballasts and the only ones that look appropriate don't list how many watts or any other information. I suggest going to the Avance website and either looking up the info there or contacting the company directly. They'll be more than happy to point you toward a ballast to run your lamps. :)

The Fulham ballast just happens to run ALL Fluoro and CFL type lamps so there isn't much guesswork. (Well, almost all of them) Just makes it a more versatile item.

THiCk

Tell them you have a T5HO lamp to drive. Then give them the wattage of all your lamps combined. Look for a ballast or series of ballasts that will run your lamps.
Edit: I looked at those ballasts and the only ones that look appropriate don't list how many watts or any other information. I suggest going to the Avance website and either looking up the info there or contacting the company directly. They'll be more than happy to point you toward a ballast to run your lamps. :)

The Fulham ballast just happens to run ALL Fluoro and CFL type lamps so there isn't much guesswork. (Well, almost all of them) Just makes it a more versatile item.

Well my reason for asking is, they sell that 55w long bulb w/o ballast at Lowes. I wanna try to find a ballast that will work with it at Lowes. I don't like ordering stuff: don't trust them with my credit card info, better for the economy, and easier for me. Not saying i won't if i have to, but i'd prefer not to..

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Well my reason for asking is, they sell that 55w long bulb w/o ballast at Lowes. I wanna try to find a ballast that will work with it at Lowes.
Not a problem. Tell them you want a 55w T5HO ballast. Preferably electronic.
If you're running multiple lamps, add it up and get a ballast that is rated for at least that number of watts. Make sure there are enough hot leads for one to go to each lamp. (Workhorse 8 from Fulham has 6 leads for a 6 lamp maximum)

Tanuvan

Ok, anyone here know about the use of those center connectors for the 2G11 sockets? The wiring diagram I got from the mfr. has the yellow ballast wires crisscrossing across 2 sockets kind of like a pretzel.

So basically it is the same as Hydro-Soil's on the first page, except they make use of the center plugs to tie two sockets together. Is this necessary?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Ok, anyone here know about the use of those center connectors for the 2G11 sockets? The wiring diagram I got from the mfr. has the yellow ballast wires crisscrossing across 2 sockets kind of like a pretzel.

So basically it is the same as Hydro-Soil's on the first page, except they make use of the center plugs to tie two sockets together. Is this necessary?

Leave the center posts alone. That's only for regular fluoro tubes. If you look at the fulham pdf you'll see that it lists only 2 reds from one side twisted together to connect to a red lead from the ballast. You'll also see only 2 yellow wires, twisted together before joining the multitude of wires connecting to the one yellow wire from the ballast.

If you jumper the 2G11 socket like that you'll burn out your bulb and cause issues.

Squeeky

I agree with hydro, I have wired with terminal strips and it only needs the 4 pins connected. If it's not broke don't fix it, my bulbs glow bright so I would just follow the guide.

Tanuvan

Ok, Just wondering because the socket will not take regular Floro tubes...it is a TG11 socket. I'm not talking about the Diagram on the Fulham site, but the wiring diagram from the mfr. that makes the actual TG11 sockets.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Ok, Just wondering because the socket will not take regular Floro tubes...it is a 2G11 socket. I'm not talking about the Diagram on the Fulham site, but the wiring diagram from the mfr. that makes the actual 2G11 sockets.
I've wired a 2G11 socket with a jumper across the two holes in the middle. You don't want to do that. :)

I'm not sure what they use those holes for. Really. I know it works great without them. :)
(they're 2G11 sockets, not TG11 like I originally mis-posted. Sorry)

Tanuvan

Here is what I am talking about hydro. Take a look at the pdf. I like your way better, but I thought I'd ask the mfr.

Attachments

• AK 48
    AK 48
    109.8 KB · Views: 78

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Here is what I am talking about hydro. Take a look at the pdf. I like your way better, but I thought I'd ask the mfr.

Woah! That's some seriously wacky wiring there. That ballast has how many yellow leads?? :1help:

The fulham workhorse 8 has 6 red leads (hot) and 1 yellow lead. (It also has a white and a black for power)

If your ballast has all those colored leads, I would try to follow the mfg's wiring. That's some insane stuff there. Those sockets look a lot different than the 2G11's I used.

Tanuvan

I have a fulham workhorse 5 which has 1 yellow lead,4 hot wires, 1 black 1 white for power. I wired it the way yours is, and that works. I am going to take one of these sockets apart to see what is going on in there. :)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I have a fulham workhorse 5 which has 1 yellow lead,4 hot wires, 1 black 1 white for power. I wired it the way yours is, and that works. I am going to take one of these sockets apart to see what is going on in there. :)

Sweet! Glad you got it running.

BRight little F'ers...... Ain't they! :woohoo:

Tanuvan

I just took the socket apart. For anyone using these particular sockets...

The socket holders are labeled 1-4 with 2 holes per group...

Holes 1a and 1b correspond to prong 1 of a pll bulb
Holes 2a and 2b correspond to prong 2 of a pll bulb
Holes 3a and 3b correspond to prong 3 of a pll bulb
Holes 4a and 4b correspond to prong 4 of a pll bulb

Make sure you have 2 red leads going into 1a and 2a or 1b and 2b
and 2 yellow leads going into 3a and 4a or 3b and 4b

To clarify on the yellow leads...Fulham ballasts only have 1...so you need to Y split the 1 yellow lead

I hope this helps.

theUpsetter

Hey guys, I'm just beggining a NBG x DrBudGreen setup but I am using 3000k 2g11's & red led's in the flower box. I just recieved all the 2g11 stuff and found my mounts came with no wiring diagram. I found the company that makes 'em and they sent me the attached! WTF! Blue wire?

I have a Fulham Workhorse 7.

Attachments

• connector_illus.jpg
    connector_illus.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 31

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey guys, I'm just beggining a NBG x DrBudGreen setup but I am using 3000k 2g11's & red led's in the flower box. I just recieved all the 2g11 stuff and found my mounts came with no wiring diagram. I found the company that makes 'em and they sent me the attached! WTF! Blue wire?

I have a Fulham Workhorse 7.

Just follow the directions for the Workhorse 8 that I posted :)

One red wire to each socket. (Split to 2 wires before going into one side of the socket)
One wire from each socket (connected to 2 wires on the opposite side of the socket) going to the one yellow.

Power comes in through the red leads to the lamps and goes back to the ballast through the yellow leads.

The black and white leads are for the power plug. :) (Lamp cord or other 2-pronged plug)

theUpsetter

Problem solved!

Problem solved!

Here's a couple pics!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF2316.JPG
    DSCF2316.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF2317.JPG
    DSCF2317.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF2314.JPG
    DSCF2314.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 26

theUpsetter

Sweet Setup there!

What's the wattage and spectrum of the LEDs? (I take it that's 220w of CFLs.... right?)

Here's the specs: LED Wholesalers

Well I finally got my sockets in from overseas. I'm glad I ordered 10 more then I needed, cause I have no idea it would take that long for a 1 lb package. However the sockets I got are nice, you can mount both vertically or horizontal.

This is where I need some help, which mounting would be better. They look like this http://assets.twacomm.com/assets/2078685107/product_images/27725.jpg

I'd mount them using the bottom holes, but upside down. I ended up making a front support out of coat hanger wire - it's just an "S" shape that hangs over the frame and supports the front of the tube.