What's new

Outdoor growing adventure in Sierra Leone, West Africa

HolySatla

Hi fellow IGers!
I wanted to open this thread so I can share with everyone
Our current project which involves the setting up and successful operation from seed to harvest of
An outdoor plantation in Sierra Leone, West Africa.

We're looking at few different strategies, but due to the fact there is a massive rainy season here there are only 180 days during the dry season in which we can actually grow outdoors, as during the rainy season its impossible due to extremely frequent and massive showers.

Basically we have about 500 sqm of land available, were thinking of planting 500 plants in this space and doing 3 harvests in the space of the 180 days of the dry season which lasts from November to June.

Right now the land is filled with bush vegetation that needs to be cut down, and we're not sure if to use herbicides on the whole plot and to dig nice holes or plant the seedlings in seperate bags filled with soil. Can herbicides later stay in the soil and get into our ladies? Is just planting in bags more recommended?

Water will be brought from a nearby river to small tanks, chlorinated and used to water by watering can by hand.
Due to the fact we are in the middle of the West African bush, greenhouse, lighting, generators etc are too expensive and not sustainable at this point in time, also thieves and other problems make it unfeasible to implement.

We need to make a complete list of all the required materials, from nursery items to additives, nutrients, seeds, tools, harvest, drying/curing and basically everything we need so it will be purchased and brought to the growing area as its pretty remote from any nearby village or town.

We will have to start nursing the young plants 2nd week of September or we will not be able to do 3 rounds of flowering during the dry season.

Any input on this will be highly appreciated. Hopefully we will succeed and post photos from start to finish of some incredible first world genetics flourishing in the midst of the third world African bush!

Also, if any of you daring farmers want to join us on this adventure we wont mind having some seasoned veterans come down here and chill with us for a couple of months while we get everything up and running. Theres are loads of tropical fruits and you can eat all the mango and pineapple you ever dreamt of and they are fuckin super terpy!!! ;)

Looking forward to hearing everyones comments and suggestions and if u wanna come for a visit let me know and we will be happy to arrange it! 😎🤗💪👊💨⛽🚀🛫

gorilla ganja

Sounds like a great plan. How do you plan to get 3 harvests off ? Different strains that flower at different times? Auto's or veg to size indoor and place them out and they will flower?
I would not put chlorine in the water, It will kill all the good stuff found naturally in the water, just don't drink it.
I would also stay away from planting in bags or pots. You will have enough problems with watering already.
Have you done any plants outdoors there before?

Best of luck with your ambitious plan and may all your Buds be Huge.

Peace GG

HolySatla

Kanye should defo make a song about this, probably will be called pablo goes bananas... anyways cheers guys I appreciate the feedback! Lets get this going.
We plan to nurse up young plants from fem seeds then just put them out to flower once theyre big enough.
No real prior experience with outdoor crops here but there are many local farmers who try their luck every year but lack of knowledge plus lack of skills plus shitty local genetics make it a shit product. We want to change things around as its practically impossible to find good smoke here unless it has been imported by someone and usually goes for ridiculous prices.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Are there any local genetics, landraces, strains where you could preserve them? I think it would be a worthy effort to separate seeds and store them for later work. Maybe in the right hands they would be some unique fire?

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High,

Cool project.

Some suggestions:

On the water, no need to add chlorine, or anything else. If anything, just make sure it's not too cold for the roots when watering :)

DO NOT use herbicides. If your plants can survive them, they'll absorb them, and that would make for a doggy smoke.

Check the local strains. They're the ones adapted to that climate. If there isn't anything worth it, then look for genetics from well established producing countries in the region (Malawi, Ghana, Ethiopia) with the same conditions. During long rainy seasons like you have there, the cannabis is vegging outdoors, to then flower over the dry season.

Make sure you have enough neen and any other (biodegradable) product that you might need to handle the bugs and fungi that will be feasting on your exotic 1st world buds :biggrin:

Plant directly into the soil, making big holes with prepared soil. If rain is an issue, make sure you make "channels" so that water doesn't get trapped.

Would you need to fence? Monkeys, wild bores, or anything else that can eat your plants?

Good luck, have fun!

:tiphat:

B

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Holy Satia, I must confess to being puzzled as to how this huge project will be pulled off in Africa, where most countries have brutal anti-weed laws.

Has Sierra Leone legalized weed ? If so that is fantastic news for the continent, because as you well know, the climate is ideal pretty much anywhere close to the Equator, for the cultivation of this uber-cash crop called marijuana.

Regardless of your situation, I want to appeal that you stay well clear of using chemicals to kill bugs or weeds, because in the Third World, virtually ALL agro-chemicals are adulterated with anything from toxic waste to gasoline. Do not gamble your pristine land on the whims of chemical sellers in that part of the world. Buy applying tainted or counterfeit crop treatment chemicals, the very soil could be ruined for decades to come.

If you require insect control, consult local farmers who will deliver neem tree leaves to you, from which a highly effective and SAFE insect repellent spray can be made by grinding the leaves up, soaking them in water for a day, filtering the soup through an old shirt, and applying the resultant liquid in a backpack sprayer. In the same vein, please avoid the use of chlorine in irrigation water. It may be adulterated as well, and even if it not, there is no need for that chemical at all, and it may even harm the plants.

I'm pulling up a chair to watch this adventure unfold. All the best, compadre.