What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

South East Asian Landrace

salbahe

Hello There.

Just a newbie with a question... Are there any landrace/s from SEA, or are they only imported from other asian regions.

Peace all

MrSensi

India, Nepal, China, Thailand, and the Philippines all have landraces that I'm aware of, but I'm sure MANY more countries have their own landraces.

salbahe

I'm only aware of the strains in the Philippines, from the northern part. The Kalinga and Baguio Gold. Both are Sativas... Any ideas of their origin or makeup? Some say the G.I.'s brought it with t
Fast forward to the present, now it's mostly bagseed brought by us tourists. So I guess it's a mix.

Peace

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
i've got a few nice landrace pure sativa var's from africa,south east asia and a few from south america plus a few pure indicas from around the himalyas/NE Pakistan,north india and kashmir which i've only tested a few plants from a mazar-i-shariff from the real seed company which were pretty nice but need alot of work to bring up the potency,great hash plants tho.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
indonesia has landraces as does papuan new guinea from what i've been told. there are just very few people with them. have to go collect them from these area yourself :D

salbahe

The question is... are they worth the travel and risk...those are scary places to go hunting.
Maybe one of these days, in the guise of tourism
Peace

lasko

Darwin salbahe is right, you can finish on rope in places like indonesia ...
Dont risk your ass bro take care

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah for sure, it wouldn't be the first place i'd ever go to to try and find landraces. but if you ever have the means and are interested in getting stuff from somewhere few people have ever got the seed back from. those 2 places are options. hoping to go to papuan new guinea one day, beautiful place!

Feb2006er

Check out AceSeeds. Their Double Thai, and Vietnamese Black x Thai are very nice representations of SE Asian strains.

hazelover

buddy i live in the philippines and been growin for ages and have some landrace seeds here just come over sometime. check my pics. the best though is OT haze by ACE when its not sold out!

osman

Ill probably be there around march, so if you wanted to meet up and show me hazelover. Really want to check out the Philippines and want to smoke some different type of weed.

snufkin

There are also some Luang Prabang Lao sativas available at the bay. It's a landrace from Lao, an amazing and somehow really authentic little region so the weed can't be anything but great. I don't have any experience of growing it but would be happy to see a journal :)

Areebok

yo salbahe, philippine landrace probably came from the spaniards when they colonized it... apparently, the spaniards at that time used hemp ropes for their ships etc so they brought and planted seeds in most or if not all their colonies. :)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
treking for seeds

treking for seeds

The question is... are they worth the travel and risk...those are scary places to go hunting.
Maybe one of these days, in the guise of tourism
Peace

yes
yes
yes
nothing is more beautiful than seeing this plant growing in its native environment, not to mention being in the shadow of the himalayas
so ya
i traveled northern india collecting seeds it was great
lets go trekking its very safe!

Rinse

Veteran
yes
yes
yes
nothing is more beautiful than seeing this plant growing in its native environment, not to mention being in the shadow of the himalayas
so ya
i traveled northern india collecting seeds it was great
lets go trekking its very safe!

N. India is a different story to S.E Asia, although Cambodia and Thailand are fairly relaxed, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia are not so safe for a traveling pothead.

Gano

I have travel a lot in SE Asia (i live here) and colelct seeds when possible. Right now have some seed from different locations from Laos and Cambodia. The wild weed there is very sativa and very good but it is not high quality in the sense it is bred out. The fact that it is so strong and wild without any selective breeding really makes a person wonder what happens when some of the good pot breeders get their hands on seeds.

right now have seeds here from various areas, the problem is getting them to sprout, all seeds collected were a little immature, not yet a lot but still immature. Is there somethign a person can do to try and get them to germinate? I was thinking GA3, anything else? Happy to share seeds if can get the plants to grow out.