What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blueberry oh Blueberry... Which should I choose?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I had some blueberry flavors with Chimera's C Plus, fathered by DJ Short's Blueberry, according to the breeder.

Mothered by our legendary 25+ yr old California Orange clone, and fathered by DJ Short’s Blueberry. This large producing hybrid adapts well to most growing environments, and prefers a mild diet. The last 2 weeks of this plant’s life will impress with the huge swelling of calyxes into light green bundles of frost. Excellent daytime smoke with an inspiring and creative high. Pleasant bittersweet orange soda flavor

There are some other Chimera varieties with the Blueberry genetics, but I haven't tried them.

WelderDan

Veteran
I've grown DJ's BB twice, Blue Moonshine once and the Peak version once. I got nice plants from DJ's gear, but nothing really standout as far as that Blueberry taste.

The Best BB I've grown was from Peak. The first seed I popped ended up the best BB plant I've grown. Distinct BB smell and taste. Lingered on the tongue and made you literally smack your lips. People still ask me about "that Blueberry tasting weed" and it's been 10+ years. And you can't beat the price.

Scrappy-doo

So you're looking for muffin terps and choosing peak and dj gear? Good luck.. Certainly not where I'd be looking.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
I've grown DJ's BB twice, Blue Moonshine once and the Peak version once. I got nice plants from DJ's gear, but nothing really standout as far as that Blueberry taste.

The Best BB I've grown was from Peak. The first seed I popped ended up the best BB plant I've grown. Distinct BB smell and taste. Lingered on the tongue and made you literally smack your lips. People still ask me about "that Blueberry tasting weed" and it's been 10+ years. And you can't beat the price.

You have any photos of the Peak BB Welderdan? How is the effect? I am mainly after the good blueberry high and mainly just the straight blueberry taste and smell. Not really the whole muffin thing, that was just what come out in a pheno I once ran, from an unknown source, unknown breeder, with a strike of luck. Not really digging "that deep" into it.

I just wan't the closest possible to the good ole classic blueberry.:)

MountainBudz

Would also like to note, that the blueberry muffin "fragrance" that I spoke of in my OP, introduction post for the thread, did not shine through while she was in bloom nor during harvest. In bloom it had more of a floral/flowery/sweet type "berry" smell. Not really any specific berry but maybe mixed berry would describe that initial note the best while in late flower.

Once harvested and dried enough to where the stem still had some bend in it, it began smelling like straight bluebery. Seriously, I have never smelled anything as close in my entire life. I popped open a can of blueberry red bull once and it was close to identical, as strange as it may sound. Very strong and sharp blueberry distinction.

Well, the blueberry muffin smell of that historic pheno I once had did not come into play until almost a good 2/3 weeks into the curing process. Open the jar and BAM!!! Straight fresh baked blueberry muffins directly to the dome! The taste, the same, the odor of smoke, also close to the same...

I miss the effect it had more than I do the smell and taste. As long as Peak or Dj's versions have just the blueberry smell without the muffin, and that good bb effect, i'm golden :D.....

MountainBudz

Ha, if I wanted the blueberry muffin smell then I would take what I would imagine a good straight blueberry pheno would smell like and cross it over to a GSC's and I bet ya I would get that muffin in the mix...

kaneboy

I grew moscas old time moonshine have to be 5 years ago and found out of the 4 females i ended up with two had a blueberry muffin smell going on,
not so much in taste but beautiful plants
Worth a look.
The most blueberry tasting strain come off a dutch passion skywalker about 10 years ago was amazing flavor but never found that pheno again ,best of luck

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey man,

i remember you talking shit about Shorts genetics before, claiming every female and male hermied on you. And here we are again, you throwing shit around without any proof or pics. You are just lame in my eyes, if you dont know how to grow this delicate genetics, dont do it and dont bullshit others please.
Why i know your talk is cheap ? I have grown 40 seeds of Djs Original Blueberry and I have very different experience then you. Just for example, not a single female hermied on me, especially on 3rd week of flower as you claim. There were 0 hermies males as well. Some females throw sterile nanners in the end of flowering and i found 0 seeds, not even the small undeveloped ones. Can this myth and fear of hermies stop already?

Whoever is looking for opinion about current DjShorts Blueberry realease, please dont listen to this guy and let me tell you what you can expect.

From 40 seeds i had 23 females. Half of these females were fruity-berry/grape/kind of mix of citrus fruit but very sweet, others were mentolated/musky/burgundy/earthy and sweet. The smell is not as loud as diesels and OGs, so if you looking for loud smell, this is not the place to find it. The smell is incredible and i really love it, it just wont hit you in the face. The teste is very nice as well, a lot of people commented on the taste and found it "yummy" especially ladies. There were few stretchy phenotypes, more sativa in structure. Others had reasonable stretch. The high is very consistent and stabilized, its euphoric, some anti anxiety, pleasant, relaxing, mood elevating a medicine really. My keeper Indica pheno is like anti anxiety medication for me. What can i say, even my friends love the high and the best review for me is, when they prefer it over OGs, Diesels and so on. Its just really pleasant and enjoyable high and not everyone likes the skull crushing high a lot of cannabis provide these days. Dj Short was trying to stabilize the high and it is done. People are usually looking on his genetics with EGO and then they are disappointed.

These are pics of current Blueberries:

My keeper WLD:
View Image
View Image
And keeper NLD:
View Image
View Image
View Image

Well, you report no blueberry smells but want to silence others who complain about it? Hermies or not, the blueberry smell is the one thing people are looking for in a plant called "blueberry". Not sure what "EGO" has to do with it. Your plant looks nice but without the smell shouldn't be labelled blueberry. I dont think people run around talking shit about breeders without any reason. What I believe in is countless breeders running around lying about their genetics spreading misinformation about their efforts and results only for cashing in more and more and more. Happened a thousand times, still happening to this moment, will happen in the future, big scale. Just give it a try to locate any pics of original breeders plants from the "big" names. Some people only see what they want to see, but the emperor still wears no clothes!

G

growhigh1233

I got two packs of djs from the most recent release. Were there any that had a very STRONG blueberry smells?

iv grown over 30 djs blueberry and my experiences were pretty much the same as el's

colourful 'stretch' indicas

a mix of earthy smells and sweet off berry syrupy smells .......... but no real blueberry smell !!

beautiful high tho .............. iv only ever found a handful of plants that really were unmistakably blueberry .......... and only 1 plant with everything......... the smell .......colour ....... high ....... and even yield

i still have a urge to keep searching tho .........blueberry grows are addictive

Dawe

Blueberry Muffin by Rebel Grown seeds looks like an interesting take on it, it'd probably be worth digging through.

"In this third generation incross of Blueberry Muffin, you’ll find four phenotypes. One displays dense purple to light blue buds covered with frosty trichomes. This phenotype tastes and smells like freshly baked blueberry muffins."

I haven't grown DJ Short's blueberry, but I have smoked a lot of it over the recent years. Pretty much falls in line with what el said.. and though it seems blueberry bud isn't too uncommon... I have yet to try a DJ short version with those specific terps. The high from that line is what makes it special and worthwhile regardless if you only want bb terps or not. When I hear blueberry pot I think of the high before the smell and taste, but that's just me.

elanius

Veteran
Well, you report no blueberry smells but want to silence others who complain about it? Hermies or not, the blueberry smell is the one thing people are looking for in a plant called "blueberry". Not sure what "EGO" has to do with it. Your plant looks nice but without the smell shouldn't be labelled blueberry. I dont think people run around talking shit about breeders without any reason. What I believe in is countless breeders running around lying about their genetics spreading misinformation about their efforts and results only for cashing in more and more and more. Happened a thousand times, still happening to this moment, will happen in the future, big scale. Just give it a try to locate any pics of original breeders plants from the "big" names. Some people only see what they want to see, but the emperor still wears no clothes!

You misunderstand my post, some people only want to see what they want to see ha?
I am certainly not trying to silence others, and if anyone reports disappointment for not finding blueberry smells, fair enough.
I came here just to balance the scales with my experience.

Budsicles, im not hating on you, but i do think you didnt grow the plants correctly, if what you say is truth. If i grew 23 females and none hermied and you grew 5 and all hermied, what does it tell you?
Some time ago, you created thread bashing Djs Blueberry, claiming all plants hermied in week 3 of flower and all females sucked, smelled like basement musk.
Every female hermied by the end of week 3 of flowering.
Seriously one of the worst seedlines I have ever tried.
Later in that thread you mentioned that you gave them nutrition every other watering.
I used 7.5 ml pbp grow every other watering during veg and 7.5 ml bloom 2 out of 3 waterings during flower. Had very slight clawing in veg in just a few phenos but no burning, but don't remember the clawing during flower, except this one pheno that seemed to do it even if switched to plain water feedings.

I remember that thread, so this is why i blame the grower this time. As you should know to feed the plant only when it needs it, every plant is different, especially Djs Blueberries. They just dont need to be fed every other watering. Remember, you should read the plant not the bottle...
What i dont understand its, why you feel the need to go around and talking about whole line, if you didnt even grow it correctly. Moreover you are enthusiastic to share your bad experience but didint take any pics. I bet the pics would tell us a lot.

Last edited:

Scrappy-doo

If you want floral/flowery/berry smell as you describe in the one you ran before you will find lots of that in dj's current stock. Those were fairly common terps I came across.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DJs focus main was the type of high...

I think he was successful in this reguard as it seems most plants are fairly uniform for high type.

Blueberry, as a variety, was aptly named in its day. There were no other breeders doing the same works that DJ was, as far as I know. I'm sure, at one point in time, that DJ was getting BB smelling varieties. Further inbreding, for effect, clouded the waters for flavors such that what we have today is sweet berry aromas & maybe flavors.

Elanius, what packs did you use for your grow?
I've got some of those old brown packs still in the vault... Before JD came on the scene. These packs were notorious for fucked up genetics. Especially in the end when DJs gear was hacked & sold worldwide by an unscrupulous wholesaler. None of those hacked packs produced anything of value, by my understanding. Only mutants & hermies. This may be what was experienced by all the apparent haters. Especially those that don't know the history of these seeds.

elanius

Veteran
DJs focus main was the type of high...

I think he was successful in this reguard as it seems most plants are fairly uniform for high type.

Blueberry, as a variety, was aptly named in its day. There were no other breeders doing the same works that DJ was, as far as I know. I'm sure, at one point in time, that DJ was getting BB smelling varieties. Further inbreding, for effect, clouded the waters for flavors such that what we have today is sweet berry aromas & maybe flavors.

Elanius, what packs did you use for your grow?
I've got some of those old brown packs still in the vault... Before JD came on the scene. These packs were notorious for fucked up genetics. Especially in the end when DJs gear was hacked & sold worldwide by an unscrupulous wholesaler. None of those hacked packs produced anything of value, by my understanding. Only mutants & hermies. This may be what was experienced by all the apparent haters. Especially those that don't know the history of these seeds.

I think you are right about Dj inbreeding Blueberry to lock the type of effect, he always mention that the effect comes first. And one can imagine him sacrificing the smell for the high.

I bought 2 packs from h3mpd3pot.ca and 2 directly from Dj. I know what you mean, but its the same stuff. I dont think that the distributor changed Djs Blueberry. But i do think there is a good chance he released different version of F13. There was Grape Krush2 sold for some time, nobody knew about the lineage...

If i would be looking for Blueberry muffin flavor, i would grow Bluedigiberry from Verdant, as already mentioned by zamzia and dank.frank.
I have bought the seeds already, but later decided to grow Djs Blueberry instead.

WelderDan

Veteran
You have any photos of the Peak BB Welderdan? How is the effect? I am mainly after the good blueberry high and mainly just the straight blueberry taste and smell. Not really the whole muffin thing, that was just what come out in a pheno I once ran, from an unknown source, unknown breeder, with a strike of luck. Not really digging "that deep" into it.

I just wan't the closest possible to the good ole classic blueberry.:)

No pics, that computer died long ago. As I recall, they looked pretty much like DJ's BB. Peak used Dutch Passion and DJ genetics, so it's it's all derived from DJ stock anyway. The effect was classic BB, nice mellow high, not super potent but very enjoyable. Great chill weed.

MountainBudz

No pics, that computer died long ago. As I recall, they looked pretty much like DJ's BB. Peak used Dutch Passion and DJ genetics, so it's it's all derived from DJ stock anyway. The effect was classic BB, nice mellow high, not super potent but very enjoyable. Great chill weed.

Sounds exactly like what I am looking for WD!

I am definitely grabbing some Peak BB beans regardless.

I feel from almost 95% of the reviews that I have read were positive then Peak must be doing something right, right?

Thanks for the info!

:tiphat:

MountainBudz

If you want floral/flowery/berry smell as you describe in the one you ran before you will find lots of that in dj's current stock. Those were fairly common terps I came across.

My main concern Scrappy is the "true" blueberry high. The old school, great blue berry that we smoked as pre-teens... So maybe I will give ot a shot and try his gear.

So does his current stock have that old school blueberry high like it used to?

Thanks man!

MountainBudz

Oh and I would really like for someone in regards to having experience with Dj's gear, what is the difference in the blueberry and true blue berry??

positivity

Veteran
Djs blueberry is a tricky one. It can range from hay to awesomely unique depending on how well you grow it. Very sensitive to environmental conditions. Whether you find that a good or bad quality is preference

Latest posts

Latest posts