What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First indoor vert scrog. Tell me what I'm screwing up please

Earlmarne

Well I've been screwing around in my shop for forever now trying to mimic ichabod crane and other grows I see on here.
Vegged my girls way longer than intended due to rebuilding flower room over and over.
Hoping for some insight on thing being idk what I'm doing.
Had to butcher my girls to get em on the screens. Running just 1000 right now. Want them to get used to their new room and pots. 24/0 light til they are acclimated. Brewing up a worm casting tea to give em before flipping

Attachments

• 20170318_184321.jpg
    20170318_184321.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170318_184300.jpg
    20170318_184300.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 39

Earlmarne

Got 6 ft of screen on the walls with a 12" hurricane on thermostat above them.
Just kind of feel like I should maybe remove more but idk.
Feeding gh 3 part at 6/ 6/6 w 1 ml silica and ml drip clean a gallon.
Cinex is all but the left wall. I believe that girl to be hash plant. She did great for me Outdoors so figured I'd give her a go on my first indoor

Earlmarne

Transplanted from 5 gallon hempiesinto 10 gallon fabric pots w aerated coco. Hydroton and a small amount of perlite, got an inch of hydroton in the saucers also.
They were root bound as all hell in the hempies. Have a pump for auto feeding, as they wanted more than the gallon a day I was feeding.
Couldn't find the parts to build the system I wanted so figured 10 gallon pots could handle once daily feeding then I can get to building my auto feed next round

Earlmarne

Re built the intake to much larger. When testing there was way too much negative pressure.
I have a room next to this of same dimensions I will start building on soon.
This leaves me with a 5×12 room to serve as a lung room for both flower rooms.
2k in each staggered 12on off cycles 1k in veg. Should free up enough power for ac in lung room come summer time

Attachments

• 20170311_145704.jpg
    20170311_145704.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20170311_145709.jpg
    20170311_145709.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20170311_145720.jpg
    20170311_145720.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 37

Earlmarne

There will be 6 in there this time.
Will cut back to 5 once my other room gets going to stay in my numbers and keep perpetual.
I'm going to add a 2nd 1000 once they stop stretching.

Earlmarne

Got my light up high to promote stretch. They were to my chest, I'm 6ft 6. But they were bushes because I hung bare bulbs in veg down in them.
I would like to see a couple feet of vert growth out of em to fill in my screens.

Earlmarne

These are the roots to one of the smaller girls , out of a 5 gallon hempy. They are thick as hell. Thinking they are going to enjoy more room

Attachments

• 20170319_161155.jpg
    20170319_161155.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 34

Earlmarne

Got em all in there last night.
Starting to re think distance from bulb. 30 inches to the screen seems a lot. Kind of wish I would have got the screen closer.

Attachments

• 20170319_171706.jpg
    20170319_171706.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 33
When do you plan on flipping?

Looks like they could use more veg time but it really depends on how much they stretch during flower.

Your screen's holes look to small. You want larger holes so you can weave the branches through.

Also, next time start training them for vertical SCROG sooner. It's good they have multiple tops and lots of branches but you don't want them bushy for a vertical SCROG.

Earlmarne

I'm going to play it out n see with when to flip. Not really sure, probably next weekend.
I'm just using the screen for something to tie back to. I don't, see the need for weaving as long as I can keep an even canopy, but heck idk what I'm doing really.
I screwed up good on vegging with bare bulbs I think. These girls were some monster bushes before I started hacking at em to get em in the room. I'll be wasting a lot less time this next cycle for sure.

Earlmarne

Well, everything is filling in nice.
Got a tea in em today. Looking at everything, i only built my 2 move able screens 6 ft. So figure I best flip this weekend for sure so I dont run out of room

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Over veg is better than under veg. With over veg you can cut them back and with under veg you loose yield.

They need to be thinned quite a bit. The way they are now they will crowd each other out and you will end with a mess of larf.

30 inches is good for a 1000 watt bulb. They will fill that distance easy.

What strains are you running? Sativa? Indica? Have you run them before and know how they will stretch or fill in?

Earlmarne

I'm running cinex, and I'm pretty sure hash plant. The hash plant I ran Outdoors last year. She stretched maybe a 3rd her size. Cinex I don't really know. She's much more vigorous in veg than the other.
I have been basing this build off of your thread as best I can muster. I'm green as all hell to growing my own meds.
I got scared when cutting them up and left em be. Will get in there and thin some more for sure.
Think I'm best just running the 1 bulb right now?
I got a mirror image second flower room started next to this one as you suggested in your thread, out of funds at the moment though so it is on standby.
Got a 12" hurricane fan for exhaust so I can move as much air as needed.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I'm running cinex, and I'm pretty sure hash plant. The hash plant I ran Outdoors last year. She stretched maybe a 3rd her size. Cinex I don't really know. She's much more vigorous in veg than the other.
I have been basing this build off of your thread as best I can muster. I'm green as all hell to growing my own meds.
I got scared when cutting them up and left em be. Will get in there and thin some more for sure.
Think I'm best just running the 1 bulb right now?
I got a mirror image second flower room started next to this one as you suggested in your thread, out of funds at the moment though so it is on standby.
Got a 12" hurricane fan for exhaust so I can move as much air as needed.
I am not to sure about those strains stretch in flower. Are they more sativa type growth? Middle of the road stretch?

If you go back and look at how much I cut off when I did that thread you will see that it didnt stunt the growth at all. This is because of the root mass to support the top. The plant will naturally try to keep a balance between the roots and the canopy. When one gets to big it cause it to slow down to allow the other to catch up.

Use this to your advantage. By trimming out the smaller branches and bud sites farther from the growth tips you will send this growth to the best bud sites.

I would wait till you are doing a final tying to the screens before flower to do this pruning.

Two bulbs are way better than one bulb. Even if you run a smaller bulb on bottom like I did. I have not used a 400 watt bulb but my thread was a 1000 over a 600. The reason is that you will get overlapping light patterns. So if one branch shoots out towards the light and blocks it the other will get behind it to get the shaded areas.

Earlmarne

I'll throw my other 1000 on the floor tonight after I clean em up.
I think the cinex is a c99 cross. I'm pretty ignorant to how either will react to photo period change though.
I appreciate you stopping by and lending some advice

Earlmarne

Well, i thinned em out good this time.
I think I'm on track to flip em come this weekend.
I seem to think like I read in your thread, or one similar that only the top light was run for the first 2 weeks of flower to promote stretch. Is that the case? If not is this a solid ideology to work off?
I figure with as squat as I've grown these girls. To my chest, I'm 6ft 6 and not utilizing the height of my room I am not going to see the full potential for yeild. But going on your thoughts on root mass and vegetative growth they should be bounding to rebuild. Therefore if flipped the growth will go into flowers.
I have three feet of my screen filled in at this point. I am training my next batch much less and letting them grow vertical, so i can utilize more screen next round.
Guess I'm just unsure if I should blast em with both lights right from the gate or if I could squeeze some more height out my just running my top 1000 through stretch without any I'll effect on yeild and or quality?

Attachments

• 20170322_195102.jpg
    20170322_195102.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Latest posts