What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Coco Quest: Coco Hempy 4x4

justiceman

Veteran
EDIT: Instead of H3ad's recipe I decided this grow would be done with Veg+Bloom RO/Soft instead. It speaks to me as it is a 1 part powder. Even more simple than the 6/9 recipe. DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK QUESTIONS. Please! I love conversation and am more than willing to talk about every aspect of my grow.

Yo! It has been a while everyone. I took some time off from growing but my stash is running low so it's time to start up again!

I'm keeping this grow SIMPLE. No BS. No Magic. 3 years ago during my last grow(yes It's been that long) I remembered that I did an experiment
with an extra clone to try these crazy "6/9" and "Coco hempy" things i read about yet expected it to fail lmao that was dumb. Just 6/9 every
day for that lady and what do you know? She preformed beyond expectation!

After brushing up on my knowledge with H3ad's thread, Dalaihempy's thread, and DJM's thread recently I feel confident. Thanks for your knowledge.
picture.php

picture.php

So I'm ditching all the useless crap I used to use and I'm sticking to the basics. We are going COCO HEMPY with H3AD'S FORMULA(r/o water)

NURSERY:
4x2 Metal Rack(maybe a bit smaller)
(2)T8 on the top
(4)T5 on the bottom
picture.php

4x4 TENT:
(1) 6" Blockbuster Hood
(1) Galaxy Select-a-watt 1000/600/400 digi balast
(1) 600w Ushio Opti-red HPS
(1) Active Air 400cfm inline fan
(1) Phresh Carbon filter
(2) 6" Clip Fans
picture.php

Strains:
DNA Pure Afghan
Cali Connections Deadhead OG

Nutrients/Medium:
GH Micro
GH Bloom
Coconut Coir
Perlite

Just started germinating these seeds earlier. I'm not sure what to expect in terms of how many females I will get so I just
did 5 of each. Hoping I'll get 4 females out of all, but if I only get one guess I'll up the bucket size and try to grow a 4x4 tree :biggrin:

I'll be sure to keep posting as things progress.

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Things are looking pretty good:biggrin: Not bad for being stored at room temperature for years! These are the Pure Afghani's. The Dead Head's just started to crack open so I'm expecting some taps from them tmw or the day after.

picture.php

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Secret Jardin Webit 120

Secret Jardin Webit 120

Just got a small upgrade for my 4x4. Never liked building a trellis or installing other types of plant supports but this thing is a breeze! Can't wait to see how well it works.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Day 1!

Day 1!

First one to rise above the coco is this little Pure Afghan:biggrin:

I moistened all the coco with half strength nutrient(3ml micro/4.5ml bloom per gal) phd to 5.8 to stabilize it. The seedlings will be watered with ph adjusted water for the first 7-12 days and then I'll start giving them half strength.

picture.php

Last edited:

HatchBrew

Veteran
Awesome. Doing coco hempy buckets for first time this winter run (dollar store 2.5 Gallon bucket). Flipped first round couple weeks ago. 45 days from seed.

Liking the ride so far. I ended up mixing a little perlite in with the coco for them prior to being in the hempy. When they're germing and vegging in 4" Square pots.

justiceman

Veteran
Right on Hatchbrew coco hempys are awesome and so simple. What kind of strain are you running?

Alright things are going smoothly for the most part for being 3 days since the first one broke the surface!
Just been giving them small squirts of R/O mixed with tap to .2EC phd to 5.8

One DeadHead seed did not make it though. Upon inspection it looked as if something had been eating the
tap root. Another may meet the same fate but shows some promise in recovery.

I might have to go with a different coco brand next time instead if the Roots Organics Coco palms so just
a heads up if anybody is looking into their coco! I also found out later that it has uncalcined lime mixed in(website)

Alright on to the photos

Here's a family picture 3 days after the first sprout! I actually have 6 Pure Afganhs(can't count) and I had 5 Dead
Heads but one met an early demise.
picture.php

Here's the slow dead head. Just popped and is greening up a lot. We'll just see where this goes.
picture.php

Here's one of the Pure Afghans
picture.php

Last edited:

HatchBrew

Veteran
Long list of winter hunting. HHAHA. Lots of things. started two trays of seeds so far. first round went into flower couple weeks ago, and have 42 seedlings vegging out waiting for their time in the sun.

justiceman

Veteran
Long list of winter hunting. HHAHA. Lots of things. started two trays of seeds so far. first round went into flower couple weeks ago, and have 42 seedlings vegging out waiting for their time in the sun.

Nice haha that's gonna be some work! That will be heroic

Out of curiosity, why are you using the bloom nutrients for those seedlings?

Great question!
Short answer: The Micro and Bloom contain everything necessary for the veg and bloom cycle.

Long answer:
In my opinion after reading the "H3ad goes coco" thread(It's a sticky in the coco coir section) GH grow is completely unnecessary. By using the 6/9 ratio(6ml per gal micro/9ml per gal bloom) you achieve a very solid nutrient balance for growing in coco coir. It is a modified Lucas Formula.

By the way the plant picture in my original post was grown using this method. Coco Hempy with 6/9 all day baby!

paper thorn

Veteran
i stopped using grow a long time ago. in fact i keep going back to just maxibloom. a little koolbloom last few weeks.

I like seeing these seed runs. Maybe misery loves company, and i like seeing other peeps going through the mom hunt ordeal.lol

I always say i'm going to just run these, cull the males and then i just have to take clones, because what if you get the one. Then you''l be pulling your hair out because the holy grail was in your hand and now is lost...

good luck with them

justiceman

Veteran
I used just maxibloom on a test plant one time. That stuff is great! I've played the nutrient game already and I'm all about keeping it simple now. Maxibloom, and 6/9 are great KISS methods. I was also thinking about trying out some Veg+Bloom in the future. Seems solid.

Haha! that's the plan man. Exactly what I said to myself "I'm just gonna run these...."

We'll see how these little ones turn out. Hopefully something good comes my way :biggrin:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
everything looks good & you have a solid plan in action . the only things i will say is i'm a big advocate for V&B & you should try it ! & secondly .... don't put a 600 watt bulb in there if your using a 1000 watt balast !!! put a 1000 watter in there & turn it down if needed . if you do use the 600 bulb & mistakingly turn up the ballast , bad things can happen !!! plus 1000 watts bulbs are cheaper because 600 watts is hoticulture use only , so they tack on a few bucks because of that .

justiceman

Veteran
Yo whats up man! I hear you haha. I have both lamps already but was concerned about heat in the 4x4. Mayble I'll run some temperature tests with the 1k to see what kind of canopy limit I can expect with the limited tent heigh and such.

Ya I have been reading up alot about veg+bloom. I actually just caved in an ordered a lb of ro/soft to try out a few hours ago hahahahaha

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
it does seem to lack something in veg , i use the vitamin/hormone booster from MBferts & it helps alot in veg , but in flower .... its hard to beat !!! no pk boosters needed !!! it does wonders all by itself !

better safe than sorry on the bulbs dude ! i've seen to many blown up bulbs from dudes that used them in the wrong watage ballasts . even if you only use them on 600 , its still better to have a 1000 in a 1000 watt ballast just in case !

justiceman

Veteran
Dansbuds I might even just run this round with veg+bloom instead of 6/9 just because it's essentially even more simple than measuring out of 2 bottles hahahahaha.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Alright it has been 1 week since the first bean broke the surface(the others took a couple more days).

The first true leaves are getting bigger. I culled out 2 more seedlings that just weren't really growing much. Probably the effects of long storage time. Just been giving them small amounts of R/O mixed with tap water to .2EC Phd to 5.8. I'll start feeding them when they get more leaves!

Now for the pictures.

Family shot
picture.php

I think I precharged the coco a little hot on accident(gimme a break I'm rusty hahaha) It may have been .8EC when I actually intended to go .4EC but they are still doing alright.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dansbuds I might even just run this round with veg+bloom instead of 6/9 just because it's essentially even more simple than measuring out of 2 bottles hahahahaha.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Alright it has been 1 week since the first bean broke the surface(the others took a couple more days).

The first true leaves are getting bigger. I culled out 2 more seedlings that just weren't really growing much. Probably the effects of long storage time. Just been giving them small amounts of R/O mixed with tap water to .2EC Phd to 5.8. I'll start feeding them when they get more leaves!

Now for the pictures.

Family shot
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1680699View Image

I think I precharged the coco a little hot on accident(gimme a break I'm rusty hahaha) It may have been .8EC when I actually intended to go .4EC but they are still doing alright.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1680700View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1680703View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1680702View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1680701View Image

Go for it ! i bet you'll like its ease of use & how well it does in coco !

just keep an eye on them , they should be ok if they're looking this good so far . just feed them with a .4 mix for awhile . untill you see a second set of true leaves forming . then just go up ever so lightly from there .

justiceman

Veteran
Go for it ! i bet you'll like its ease of use & how well it does in coco !

just keep an eye on them , they should be ok if they're looking this good so far . just feed them with a .4 mix for awhile . untill you see a second set of true leaves forming . then just go up ever so lightly from there .

Right on man. The nutes just came in! I'm gonna give this stuff a whirl instead of the 6/9 this time around. I'm very interested to see how it compares to the 6/9 and maxibloom tests I've tried in the past.

Just read through the kiss method thread and was thinking of giving it a try. Nice to hear you're getting good results

Hell ya! There are many ways to grow and tons of effective methods, but keeping it simple just can't be beat. Whether it be 6/9, Lucas, Maxibloom, Veg+Bloom. They all just seem to produce great yield and quality without costing an arm and a leg.