What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why all the hate with Autoflowers?

Jhhnn

Veteran
@ pinkus but since ruderalis would never add to the potency I think it's inclusion is only going to make things worse from a potency perspective.

Guess you haven't tried any recently.....I beg to differ. Well...not beg....just differ. There is POTENCY in AF's.

Agreed. Autoflowering traits & potency are not inextricably linked, nor is raw potency the be-all & end-all of cannabis. There's a lot more to a great high vs just a high than that.

I've discovered that I don't really care for Northern Lights, for example, or anything leaning strongly to that in its lineage. It leaves me flat, lacks some indescribable quality that I want.

pinkus

Veteran
Agreed. Autoflowering traits & potency are not inextricably linked, nor is raw potency the be-all & end-all of cannabis. There's a lot more to a great high vs just a high than that.

I've discovered that I don't really care for Northern Lights, for example, or anything leaning strongly to that in its lineage. It leaves me flat, lacks some indescribable quality that I want.

They may not be linked, but there never was potency (THC wise) in ruderalis until it was crossed with a photosensitive plant.

Yes, there are potent ruderalis hybrids. They can be good, or even great for certain circumstances.

I'm going trot out an old horse: why not use acclimatized weedy hemp instead of ruderalis to speed up flowering? It gets HUGE, it finishes early enough to finish even in Canada. This isn't MY idea, it's Mel Frank's...actually I think some of the new autos may have some in there as a secret sauce sort of thing. Any of the BIG autos...seems like a possibility. :tiphat:

Ya'll can love on them all you want, and good on ya! ~ I will use photos :bandit:

DJXX

Veteran
for me not being able to veg a plant as long as you want for yield is my biggest problem..i ran autos outside and got as much in 10 plants as i got in one plant with reg seeds...i my opinion they are just terrible...though they have their place, just not at my place...i like yield...DJXX

agito

You could feasible out breed rud to less that 1% of the total plant make up can you spot 1% of 22% thc or 0.22% THC. Are we quick to forget the avg strength of cannabis 20 years back ?

Proved 20% autos already exist they might even bring a unique profile to the gene pool. Sure they need work on stability but there getting there for sure

agito

Heres some speedbud from female seeds done in UNDER 60 days. Not a massive yielder probs 1.5oz but i could easily get 9 under a 400-600w hps Id give these a place in my veg tent anytime.

"I don't think you get what I'm saying. Ruderalis, before it was crossed into photo lines, didn't have any potency to add to the mix. There are now ruderalis crosses that have potency, but it was introduced to the ruderalis not the other way around." of course it does

picture.php

DJXX

Veteran
Heres some speedbud from female seeds done in UNDER 60 days. Not a massive yielder probs 1.5oz but i could easily get 9 under a 400-600w hps Id give these a place in my veg tent anytime.

"I don't think you get what I'm saying. Ruderalis, before it was crossed into photo lines, didn't have any potency to add to the mix. There are now ruderalis crosses that have potency, but it was introduced to the ruderalis not the other way around." of course it does

View Image
beauty bud..DJ

pinkus

Veteran
"I don't think you get what I'm saying. Ruderalis, before it was crossed into photo lines, didn't have any potency to add to the mix. There are now ruderalis crosses that have potency, but it was introduced to the ruderalis not the other way around." of course it does."

Nice looking bud. could be dank, could be hemp... can't tell from a pic. :p I'll take your word it's dank though.

How does Ruderalis add potency to a photoperiod oriented plant? I can't wait to hear this explanation.

Gry

People may suspect that autos have been the work of the those who think that genetic manipulation is fine and that things like paraquat are not moral issues. You know, like a gift from darpa

I thought that those have been the sort of gut level things that kept autos from acceptance. I think that enough time has passed, that we really have a different generation involved, and that with the right strain, acceptance will be not be the problem it has been.
I would not be at all surprised if autos turned out to be real big in the near future.

pinkus

Veteran
I would not be at all surprised if autos turned out to be real big in the near future.

they are NOW. I think they will continue to be for people in the far north (or south), however once legalization happens there will be much less need for stealth and speed. I have seen some, even in this thread that could be considered "yielders", but compared to the yield of a photoperiod plant they are still laughable.

again, some people here get super butthurt if people aren't raving about the plant they grow. Get used to it. I smoke sativas (ok, ok, NLD varieties) mostly and there are many who don't even think they are any good because they don't bolt you to the floor... ok a few will... in fear :p

Smoke your Rudies, enjoy your Rudies, keep your Rudies. :tiphat:

Personally comparing autos to photos is senseless. Any marijuana seed is a result of selective breeding these days. The high thc strains are mostly from selective breeding they didn't just grow like that thousands of years ago.

Autos have plenty of potency and yeild. They are different from photos and shouldn't even be compared to. Each have their own pros and cons. And anyone who has a lot of experience with autos will tell you they take a lot more skill and technique to master than any photo.

pinkus

Veteran
Autos have plenty of potency and yeild. They are different from photos and shouldn't even be compared to. Each have their own pros and cons. And anyone who has a lot of experience with autos will tell you they take a lot more skill and technique to master than any photo.

This is precisely why they should be compared.

Although you obviously haven't tried to grow any tropical plants indoors :/

Jhhnn

Veteran
They may not be linked, but there never was potency (THC wise) in ruderalis until it was crossed with a photosensitive plant.

Yes, there are potent ruderalis hybrids. They can be good, or even great for certain circumstances.

I'm going trot out an old horse: why not use acclimatized weedy hemp instead of ruderalis to speed up flowering? It gets HUGE, it finishes early enough to finish even in Canada. This isn't MY idea, it's Mel Frank's...actually I think some of the new autos may have some in there as a secret sauce sort of thing. Any of the BIG autos...seems like a possibility. :tiphat:

Ya'll can love on them all you want, and good on ya! ~ I will use photos :bandit:

Weedy hemp is adapted to the latitude where it grows. Breeding to it really isn't any better than what breeders have done all along- select plants w/ shorter flowering times, breed them with potent varieties that have already been acclimatized. Re-invention of the wheel isn't required. They're still photo strains, even if some are semi-autoflowering, not requiring much shortening of the day length to start blooming.

Autoflower breeders set out to accomplish different goals, to create varieties entirely free of sensitivity to photoperiod with good potency that finish fast & don't get too big for balconies & backyard stealth grows. They'd probably work well for personal indoor continuous harvest grows, as well.

I'm growing this batch of autos for our occasional toker gardening friends who want to grow some but also want a stealth profile as well. The legalities around outdoor growing still aren't settled here in CO, so discretion remains the better part of valor.

pinkus

Veteran
Re-invention of the wheel isn't required. They're still photo strains, even if some are semi-autoflowering, not requiring much shortening of the day length to start blooming.

that's my point. nature did the work. I believe I've heard mighty mite worked the weedy hemp direction.

agito

Its not nature to line breed weed to high potency. Its not nature to cross pure strains of indica and satvia. Its not nature to improve the yield of the plant, So you cant use the logical fallacy of appeal to nature as its only nature when it suits you.
God forbid some medical users might prefer Rud to its higher CBD content. As for yield thats also BS i can pull 2-3oz a plant and fit 9 under a 600w hps thats 18-27 oz in soil in 70 days. last time i checked most photos were vegging for 2-3 weeks and flowering for 8 for that sort of yield.

offthehook

Veteran
And anyone who has a lot of experience with autos will tell you they take a lot more skill and technique to master than any photo.[/quote]

Not if you manage to follow some simple instructions ^^

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

G`day Pinkus

The Scandinavians are way ahead of that .
They used Nepalese and Lebanese genes to create photo sensitive plants that will flower at 14 - 15 hours of light .

Last year I saw a bunch of people grow Short Term Amnesia . A Sat dom hybrid thats done in 100 days summer or Autumn .

Thanks for sharin

EB .