What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you smoking right now UK?

indifferent

Veteran
That's what I hate about the hash of today - it bears a resemblance at a distance to the real deal of the past, but is adulterated shit. I used to love Afghan Black, but not seen a good piece in years, it's all either very accrid from adulterants or perfumey from adulterants, got some in the Dam last year that emitted clouds of accrid smoke when burnt and was so soft and easily worked it was probably full of ghee. I remember the economy flat press I used to get in the mid 90s was wonderful, paid a tenner for an eighth of 5-6mm thick pale blonde lebanese bar that crumbled really easy after a mere ticvkle with a flame and had a light spicy peppery taste and a mellow heady buzz. You can still but shit that at a distance looks similar, but it's nothing like it to burn and smoke, I think they put dust and PVA glue in it nowadays.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I've started making my own from the trim... traditional method of beat all the kiff out of it then press.... it doesnt quite taste "authentic" but man, it takes me back to a time when I worried less about "what else" was in there... I know whats in this peice anyways :)

(sidenote, I HATE all that fatty black we see these days... what happened to the sweet sweet chewy stuff we used to get? (come back Howard, all is forgiven)

Right now I'm smoking this mixed with some shop bought Amnesia/SSH

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

(I shoudnt really be posting in here, but I AM an expat at least ;))

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Hmm...said it before here, but the hash I get is all fine - got some Nepalese and some of the gold-colored 1cm-thick Moroccan at the moment, and last week had some 'proper' squidgy black - no heating required, just pull a lump off and break it up - lovely.
Oh, and a bit of Kentish Creme bubble-hash my mate dropped in - lower-grade than usual as he battered it this time, but still extremely strong and it looks like green Kryptonite...;)

daddy fingaz

Its all about the jaggery goor!!!:yes:

..Just make sure that shits ethically sourced bro!!

(I shoudnt really be posting in here, but I AM an expat at least ;))

Jamie your always more than welcome here mate! that bag of kif looks tops!!

Hmm...said it before here, but the hash I get is all fine - got some Nepalese and some of the gold-colored 1cm-thick Moroccan at the moment, and last week had some 'proper' squidgy black - no heating required, just pull a lump off and break it up - lovely.

EM i wish i had your hash links you lucky sod!

im smoking nothing, coming down with a bit of manflu methinks and off to work! : (

J

jaded1

Have been getting nice black for ages,some nepalese cream at the mo,not the same quality as was about in the 80's but a very nice uplifting high.Saying that,there was a batch a few weeks ago that had shit loads of pine tar in it.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the hash i get up north is all badnews,,the only time i trust hash is when i make dry siv , or bubble from myown weed,,,,,i dont trust hash nowadays

JamieShoes

Veteran
Glad to hear theres still some people dealing in quality solids in the UK Elevator :)

My personal experiances are really only based on the period 90-97 (ie the end of Howards era and the dawn of the soap invasion).. by the time I left the UK it wasn't looking great :)

I'm guessing the advent of the home grow market has meant that many tokers are now familiar with good quality and therefore are making demands for better hashish... there's always been a good few of us who knew the difference, but it's nice to think that many more people are aware of how things "could" and should be :)

be lucky
j

edit - what I would say is I also see enuff shit hash here in NL too... there's plenty of the fatty black and most of the rocky has that odd plastciney smell that we used to avoid as well..

indifferent

Veteran
I'm, like Jamie, my experience of Uk hash is from 90-current, mut the last good stuff would have been around 97, for instance, I went to Glastonbury that year and took a big bar of the pale soft lebanese and sold it all for 15 for a henry and that was expensive compared to what i was selling it back home to fellow uni students. By 99 that Lebanese was gone. Afghan Black was shitty by 95-96, you could get get clean Afghani before that as well as decent border hash like red seal and gold seal. By 97-98 the red seal was already crap and gold seal had almost disappeared. By the 2000s gold seal was a memory and red seal was awful and also becoming rare. From 2000-2003 I had an amazing hash hookup through a (now sadly deceased) friend who imported furniture from asia and the middle east so I saw every shipment he got, 4 or 5 a year, and we got some great stuff, the best of it as good as the early 90s, some of the dark middle eastern hash was as good as anything I've smoked, it was hard and in slabs 7-8 cm thick, when you broke a piece in half, it was a mixture of dark brown with blonde speckles. It wasn't cut with anything, seemed to me like they had mixed different grades of kif before pressing and some had burst and become oily and some hadn't. God knows where it was from, probably the Lebanon, the taste and high could have been Lebanese but it didn't look like any blonde or red leb I've ever seen.

Elevator Man seems to live in a hole in the space/time continuum where it is perpetually the mid 90s, he turns up a quality and variety of hashes i haven't seen since i lived in a big city in the mid 90s. I called him all kinds of names once when he handed me a piece of red lebanese, it looked and smelt like proper red leb so I rolled some into a nice little joint and we went for a stroll in the countryside. I remarked it had the right pepper/mixed spice taste not far into our walk, then we headed up a big hill and halfway up I had to stop for a moment, not cos i was knackered but because the leb had just hit me in the back of the head like a steel clad brick. I was shocked, where the hell does one turn up proper red leb in this day and age? I seen and smoked some Afghani black in eman's hands that was pretty good too, it was your typical border hash, only slightly perfumed from adulteration, just like what we used to get as gold seal, not like the best gold seal i remember, but better than the last gold seal I seen before it disappeared. There have been plenty of other treasures turn up in eman's hands too but those are the two I remember clearly. Memories of visiting eman are usually rather foggy, he tends to keep up a steady flow of jars to smell and sample, interspersed with pieces of hash, the utter bastard! lmao

Saw a piece of the locally available 'soap' recently, i thought it an interesting admixture of henna, pva glue, dust and assorted nasties, i even took a puff out of curiosity. After my lungs had finished dancing the cha-cha round my chest I decided that was a bad idea.

On the subject of crappy hash in NL, I felt a proper nanna back in November, was strolling round the Jordaan enjoying some rare sunshine when the heavens opened. I was near the Rozengracht so I went to Paradox but it was shut, so I ran across the road to The Black Star, not been in there since 2004 and that time was only cos I had a cracked bone in my ankle and needed a sit down, the budtender was very unfriendly and the only person in the shop was a young dutch lass who was quite clearly as mad as a hatter, talking to herself and swatting imaginary flies while rocking back and forth. This time it was empty, same unfriendly budtender, menu was all imported pre-weighed bags so I grabbed a 3g sack of Durban and left. Flower Power on the next corner up was shut, as was Sanementereng round the corner (bloody shops in Jordaan seem to not open in mornings!) so ended up in Biba on the same street. By this point I just wanted to sit down and dry off for a while so I bought a coffee, a gram of some weed I forget and a gram of black afghan which was in a slim sliver in a bag already weighed. Smoked the bud in a joint and drank a coffee and the rain stopped so I walked bat to GHS Utd where my friends were. Sat down next to thc4sim, pulled out the Afghan from Biba and when I offered the lighter flame to it, it lit like a friggin candle and I was sat there holding this piece of really soft black shit that was emitting copious amounts of nasty black smoke. 'What the fuck is that' says sim, 'fuck knows, some shite' I replied and threw it in the ashtray in disgust. There was probably more ghee, oil, fat or whatever shit they cut it with these days than hash in that piece of shit, sad to see the hash quality in the Dam drop so far, and i bought it in a tiny local shop tucked away in a quiet side street in the Jordaan which you would imagine had better hash than the tourist holes.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i used to like the red leb, the stuff that came in the cloth bags...

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
i used to like the red leb, the stuff that came in the cloth bags...
me too. Didn't want to winge too heavily about the ukdope scene-when i visit that particular mate it reminds me how things are at the bottom end of the market-a place where alot of people are. I can get good-like really good Morrocan with a 60mile round trip-if i can afford it-it costs 140-200/osbourne depending. Whereas my mates bottom end bollox is 80-100. I can't get good red Leb though-which is a personal tragedy as it's my fave.

eddieS

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
the leb came in "cloth sacks" if i mind right.
and it was mid grade smoke but nice and clean

yeah-cloth called hessian (sp?) with bright blue stamps on it. It was mostly mid grade but we'd often get dark, sticky really strong stuff that was deep rust colour and was excellent. I'm talking early 1980s here. Some of the Royal Hassan that i've tried in ADam has been similar.

nice kiff , Jamie btw

eddieS

indifferent

Veteran
Deep rust colour indeed, rare to see any that was sticky though, the mid-grade was hard and dry.

Forgot to say, nice kif indeed jamie, I love kif far more than bubble, all those washed away terpenoids and flavonoids are important!

Just made some og x pa oil, this batch is rock hard at room temp, last batch I made from jack herer had the exact same 30 sec wash with same equipment and method, but was almost liquid at room temp.

Attachments

• DSCF2231.jpg
    DSCF2231.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF2232.jpg
    DSCF2232.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF2233.jpg
    DSCF2233.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF2234.jpg
    DSCF2234.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 10

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
As I remember. that Leb you mentioned turned up a week after Israel invaded most recently, so I presume that Hezbollah had to break out the good stuff from the reserves, pronto! It dried up again as soon as it was over, so it's pretty clear what was going on there.

To be honest, most of the good hash I get is from one connection - I got some Moroccan slab I mentioned earlier, that is very resiny under the scope. I picked up a bit tonight from another source that at first glance looks similar, but it's a lot more 'dusty' under the scope, and is clearly a lower grade - it doesn't taste as good eaither. But it was cheaper, so there you go. I only bought it as he was bugging me to...;)

indifferent

Veteran
I remember you saying about the timing coinciding with the invasion, wierd!

As long as it's clean of the worse type of contaminants and just has some authentic morrocan dust in it, sounds okay to me, can't be too choosy these days!

Thank god I'm kinda self-sufficient in hashy treats.

Attachments

• DSCF2240.jpg
    DSCF2240.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF2242.jpg
    DSCF2242.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF2244.jpg
    DSCF2244.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF2245.jpg
    DSCF2245.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 12

JamieShoes

Veteran
I was under the impression that wars have always been the reason for most hashish sales in the world (sadly). I remember back in the day we would get bars of Affie with AK's emblazoned on them... I was told at the time that the sale of a bar meant the purchase of a rifle for the mudja hadin (sp)

In which case, I would've thought we'd've seen more of it again recently what with the current political climate there....

indifferent

Veteran
The difference today vs the Soviet-Afghan war in the 80s is that in the 80s, the routes to smuggle hash out were wide open, the mudj fighters carried it out of the country into Pakistan, guys like Howard Marks bought it and we got to smoke it while the mudy went back with US supplied weapons. Ollie North, Iran-Contra and all that crap, the US were well mixed up in the arms supply to the Afghans and turned a blind eye to their other activities.

This time around it can't be that easy to produce and smuggle hash out of Afghanistan anymore. In Soviet times, the mudj controlled large areas so plenty of hash was produced and carried out. These days most of the country is in western hands and they eradicate any hash crops they find. Getting the stuff out of the country won't be easy, I expect what does get out has to go through Iran or the former Soviet republics to the north.

I expect there is actually more hashish being produced in the tribal region of Pakistan than in Afghanistan these days, far less likely for a load of western troops to turn up and burn your fields.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the red leb we used to get came in unbleached canvas bags - usually with little or no markings. if you smoked it straight out of the bag it was quite harsh and tickly on the throat, but if you processed it a bit by working it with your fingers it went dark and squidgy and the smoke was much more creamy. not the strongest but a lovely buzz.

last night i was smoking power plant (i know most people dont like it but i love it for it's energetic clear functional high. also some Jack the Ripper which smells/tastes great but the high is nothing very special, didnt keep a mum. ive got Jacks cleaner 2 to grow out which i hope will be better - anyone tried it ??

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
Deep rust colour indeed, rare to see any that was sticky though, the mid-grade was hard and dry.

as i remember it the Leb that we got seemed to get more pale and hard as the 80s progressed-by the second half of that decade it was definatly less prevalent-and it became hard to tell if it was pale leb or a sandy type rocky. But the soft squishy stuff was the shit-it had a lovely dreamy hit. I remember going to a coffee shop in 1981 and getting some cracking red Leb there too-it wasn't uncommon back then (think it was the Russland in Rotterdam)

that Leb you mentioned turned up a week after Israel invaded most recently, so I presume that Hezbollah had to break out the good stuff from the reserves,

yeah-anyone got their number? On second thoughts probably best not respond to that or you'll be getting pm's from Mossad:dance013:

last night i was smoking power plant (i know most people dont like it but i love it for it's energetic clear functional high.
i don't know why they don't like PP-i love it-it's soo zoomy. I grew it for a couple of years and got about 5 hours sleep in 48months

i'm on the local Black Kush tonight

Latest posts

Latest posts