What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody using boveda

G

I dont get why some snob types insist that they screw with flavor etc. The Boveda packs seem to work well and prevent herb from over drying.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I dont get why some snob types insist that they screw with flavor etc. The Boveda packs seem to work well and prevent herb from over drying.

I think it's one of those internet myths- "somebody said" & it just gets repeated as if it were fact.

I started using them in conjunction with simon's curing method, basically as insurance. Over several days, they'll put the RH right on 62% even if it's off somewhat going into the jars, & keep it there. Anything that starts in the 58-65 range works out just fine. Taking them out or leaving them in the jars after the first few months doesn't change anything for me because the cure is basically over & RH doesn't matter other than wrt texture. It smokes better at RH lower than 62%, I think, so it's good to pull out small batches, let 'em dry for a few hours or overnight.

That's my experience over the last 3 years, anyway.

Dro Smoe

I've been using them for the past two years or so, and I think that they're great. I use them during curing, short term, and long term storage (1.5+ years). For long term I just toss them in the bottom of a mason jar, and vac seal the jar (foodsaver). The buds come out as moist and potent as they went in, with a noticeable (but acceptable) loss of scent, but I attribute that to natural degradation and the plain old volatility of terpenes.

Drewsif

Well when i run acrossed bad weed, the grower admits they've used Boveda and think they're bud is good.

When i run acrossed good weed "Whats a Boveda?" is what the grower says. I ask a lot of questions. And the picture i get is that everyone is in their own little world, assured by only themselves to the quality of their smoke.

Did Skunkman use Boveda to breed Skunk#1?
Was all the dank of the 90s cured with Boveda? No. But it's everywhere now, right along with all the bad weed and growers who constantly work backwards in everything they do, adding more products to try and mimic properties they don't quite grasp. I know a lot of people think dry and sticky are antonyms, but they aren't.

Wet weed is not what anyone wants, even if they say so. The resin is what people want. Thats all the slow-burn you need. Boveda is just adding confusion to the mix of a struggling growers shelves and shelves of purchased styling gel equivalent product. There's no reason you should need the stuff unless your drying your bud too fast. Slow it down in other ways that won't make the bud taste like a pillow.. How is weed drying out in a sealed jar? It was too dry and already ruined before going in..

Thats all i know about weed. The more product you buy, the more irrational your train of thought. Sealed jars work fine, have forever. Replace your broveda with a gauge and try to grow your understanding.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Well when i run acrossed bad weed, the grower admits they've used Boveda and think they're bud is good.

When i run acrossed good weed "Whats a Boveda?" is what the grower says. I ask a lot of questions. And the picture i get is that everyone is in their own little world, assured by only themselves to the quality of their smoke.

Was all the dank of the 90s cured with Boveda? No. But it's everywhere now, right along with all the bad weed and growers who constantly work backwards in everything they do, adding more products to try and mimic properties they don't quite grasp. I know a lot of people think dry and sticky are antonyms, but they aren't.

Wet weed is not what anyone wants, even if they say so. The resin is what people want. Thats all the slow-burn you need. Boveda is just adding confusion to the mix of a struggling growers shelves and shelves of purchased styling gel equivalent product. There's no reason you should need the stuff unless your drying your bud too fast. Slow it down in other ways that won't make the bud taste like a pillow.. How is weed drying out in a sealed jar? It was too dry and already ruined before going in..

Thats all i know about weed. The more product you buy, the more irrational your train of thought. Sealed jars work fine, have forever. Replace your broveda with a gauge and try to grow your understanding.

Bovedas are just insurance for a good cure, a la simon's method. That's it. That's all they do. After the first few months the curing process is over so they just keep the stuff hydrated if you leave 'em in the jars. Cured weed just smokes better imho. Here in the high desert, weed dries too fast to taste good if it's not cured. That's probably not nearly as much of an issue in Florida, for example.

Good weed? Bad weed? If you can't grow bovedas won't help you.

Chrondiddle O

Veteran
I used them for a while until I noticed that rosin from boveda stored buds had a smell which it didn't previously have, and in every strain stored longterm with packs.. and that smell is 'headshop'. I have sourced boveda packs from a couple of different places but afaik they all come from the same EU distributor. Given the nature of the product they are liable to absorb odours from incense and such they are stored alongside if the plastic packaging is damaged. I have not received any packs which did not come in sealed plastic, nevertheless I am positive they are impart a (subtle) smell if used to rehydrate dry herb.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I used them for a while until I noticed that rosin from boveda stored buds had a smell which it didn't previously have, and in every strain stored longterm with packs.. and that smell is 'headshop'. I have sourced boveda packs from a couple of different places but afaik they all come from the same EU distributor. Given the nature of the product they are liable to absorb odours from incense and such they are stored alongside if the plastic packaging is damaged. I have not received any packs which did not come in sealed plastic, nevertheless I am positive they are impart a (subtle) smell if used to rehydrate dry herb.

Here in the US, the bovedas I get from Amazon have no detectable odor. The wrappers don't seal well, so I put new ones in a sealed jar if I don't need 'em right away. When I open the jar there is no odor. If they've previously been in with weed then they smell like weed, of course.

Proper curing changes the way weed smells, anyway, but mostly it changes the way it tastes & reduces the harshness of the smoke.

G

Im going to say that I disagree. To each his own. I dont use styling gel since I have very short hair. :)

So do you just dry and cure by smell and touch and instinct? Maybe a hygrometer is also a sin for the snobs as well. Using new techniques and new innovations seems to be successful with the growers who do this for a living and do it for quality. Opinions differ but reading across the web the opinions of those who thumbs up this and those who don't seems to show some unwarranted snobbery on par with wine and cigar snobs who really miss out because they are stuck in the past.

G

Here in the US, the bovedas I get from Amazon have no detectable odor. The wrappers don't seal well, so I put new ones in a sealed jar if I don't need 'em right away. When I open the jar there is no odor. If they've previously been in with weed then they smell like weed, of course.

Proper curing changes the way weed smells, anyway, but mostly it changes the way it tastes & reduces the harshness of the smoke.
I also have only bought from Boveda direct via amazon.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
No changes in smell, perfect preservation, the 58 is just right, the 62 I am reliably informed works really well for Rosin, noticeable yield differences over 58, the resin flows better in slightly more humid weed it seems.

Organickz

My question is, are they only good for rehydration of over dried bud? Or can they be useful to maintain the rh of buds while curing?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
My question is, are they only good for rehydration of over dried bud? Or can they be useful to maintain the rh of buds while curing?

The latter, Boveda are for maintaining perfect RH, not really for rehydration.

Perfect RH for smoking flowers, or the perfect RH for Rosin, depending on what you want.

Organickz

I noticed they have them in different varieties. I was looking into getting the 62 or 65's. Which one would you consider to be the best for curing buds?

Jhhnn

Veteran
62% RH or so appears to be the right level for curing, per Simon in his "a perfect cure every time" thread. It works for me. Once the buds have cured to the grower's satisfaction, a few months or whatever, then a lower level can be established for storage & use. At that point, the RH doesn't matter much so long as it's not popcorn dry.

Leaving bovedas in the jars for longer periods of time doesn't seem to make any difference wrt taste & effect. Keeping the jars tightly sealed at any RH helps preserve aroma. I generally pull a handful of buds from a jar, leave 'em out for a few hours or overnight to bring the moisture content down for best smoking, grind 'em up & keep it in a tin ready to go...

mack 10

Veteran
Saw a guy at a uk expo with some 55's.
they where a diff brand to Boveda,
he had a few diff sizes for diff amounts upto 450g.

when I was talking to him I mentioned the Boveda packs.
he said something quiet shocking, that the Boveda packs leached out something into/onto his buds which gave him Auto immune disease!!

just a heads up, he could be lying to sell his product but that would be a bit heavy, no? he kinda freaked me out.

is there any ingredients list with the Boveda, or MSDS sheet?
I wonder if the inner hygro static what ever it is inside the (Boveda pack)is made from?
or can it become contaminated?

IgmarBudman

I have a really hard time believing that a person coming down with an auto immune disease would have any way at all in tracing it back to a humidity pack they used to regulate the humidity of their buds. Would have been fun to have grilled him on any proof he had. And that would definitely be grounds for a huge lawsuit if it were indeed true. Also Bodeva is made up of salt and a gelling agent and has a membrane small enough only to let pure H2O move through it. I think he was just using crappy tactics to try and hype his product.

Betterhaff

Veteran
They sure sell a lot of Boveda packs to the cigar industry, I find it kind of hard to believe they could be solely responsible for that kind of health hazard. Sounds like he was bashing for the sake of self promotion.