Hello again ICMag, haven't done a thread in a few years so I figured now that I've moved back to indoor micro growing I'd do a little write up to log my little projects and mad scientist experiments. I welcome questions and advice, I've been doing this for quite some time now but you're never too good to learn something new, and most of what I learned starting out came from this site so it's good to keep the community thriving.
With all that said, this project is in compliance with Massachusetts state law, and since recreational sales will be legal in just a few months I've decided to designate a space to grow the stuff you just can't buy in stores, mostly the long-flowering sativas that are generally too resource-intensive for commercial growers to put in their 9 week rooms. Oh, and it had to be on a tight budget. The setup right now is a 2x2x4 tent and a cheap 300w equivalent LED that I bought on Craigslist for $80 total. I've started with 2 clones of Liberty Haze (G13 HazexChemdog) that I got from a friend. They're in 5-in square pots (about 3/4L) filled with Fox Farms Ocean Forest mixed with a little extra bone meal, and they're on the Fox Farms 3 part nutes. I add mycorrhizal fungi and Myco Chum as boosts and to increase soil life. Enjoy!
Last edited by FidelCashflow; 04-05-2018 at 05:35 AM..
At about 6 weeks of flower I was now giving them pretty much full strength nutes without seeing any burns, I had a nice population of visible arthropods giving me good feelings about my soil life, and everything was looking strong. Here they are over the last three weeks, last photo was three days ago, photo before that was 5 days earlier.
So now comes the stage when they're supposed to put on real weight; I've heard this strain gains 80% of its weight in the last two weeks, so I'm excited to see that. As you can see, I've got some work to do next round when it comes to filling out my space, but this was a trial run and I could really only use about half the grow space.
Last edited by FidelCashflow; 04-23-2018 at 03:35 AM..
Just about another week, and they've definitely bulked up. Pistils are starting to brown, calyxes are swelling and I think they've stopped stacking for now, so I started flushing them over the weekend. They'll get nothing but 6.0ph water until I cut them down, which I tentatively expect to be around 4/20. They don't have too strong an odor, I've had to run my fan/filter a few times but for the most part it's not a problem. The resin production has been good, especially for a cheap Chinese LED with purple diodes. So far I'm pleased with the performance of this $80 tent and light, but I'm in the process of sourcing a new, bigger flower tent for future runs.
Indeed I did end up cutting them down on Friday, which was about as exciting as lopping them at the base and turning the metal screen upside down to sit in darkness to dry for a few days. They got a good 48 hours of dark after the last flush, and they've been hanging for the last 48 after the cut. At some point on Saturday I snuck in and took a bunch of leaves off, but I'm not going to do much else until they're sufficiently dried to start curing.
I didn't take many photos, I got the first two when I turned the lights off for the last time, and the last one right after the chop. overall I'm happy with the resin development and coverage, but I'm a little disappointed with the calyx size and density, no doubt due to my cheapskate LED. Definitely something with more power on the way for the new tent.
Last edited by FidelCashflow; 04-23-2018 at 11:45 PM..