Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Marijuana News > Democratic leader announces new acceptance of marijuana

Thread Title Search
Democratic leader announces new acceptance of marijuana Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 PM #1
Tudo
Troublemaker

Tudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivor
Democratic leader announces new acceptance of marijuana

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top Senate Democrat is using marijuana's informal holiday to announce a change of heart about the drug, another sign of the growing political acceptance of pot.
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Friday he'll introduce a bill taking marijuana off the federal list of controlled substances — in effect decriminalizing its use.
Instead, his bill would let states decide how to treat marijuana possession. Under the measure, the federal government would still enforce laws against moving pot into states where it's illegal and would still regulate advertising so it isn't aimed at children.
"My thinking, as well as the general population's views, on the issue has evolved," Schumer said.
Schumer said he also wants to ensure that minorities and women have a fair shot at getting involved in the growing marijuana industry and that the federal government invests in research.
Eight states and the District of Columbia now allow recreational use of marijuana, and a majority of states allow its use for medical purposes.
Americans' support for marijuana legalization has been growing in polls with Gallup's most recent update in October showing that 64 percent of Americans were in favor of legalization.
The White House said last week that President Donald Trump backs legislation to protect the marijuana industry in states where it is legal.
Former U.S. House Speaker John Boehner also announced recently that he had changed his stance on marijuana and that he would promote its nationwide legalization as a way to help veterans and the nation's deadly opioid crisis.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/democratic-leader-seeks-pot-legal-under-federal-law-143644007--politics.html

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:09 PM #2
geneva_sativa

geneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant future
. . .
geneva_sativa is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 PM #3
EasyGoing
Banned

EasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of light
More good news!
EasyGoing is offline Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 PM #4
Tudo
Troublemaker

Tudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivor
President Trump COULD if he so desired to issue a presidential decree legalizing cannabis. It would then be up to the congress to override his decree with a veto.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:58 PM #5
Tudo
Troublemaker

Why Senator Schumer Is Introducing A Bill That Decriminalizes Marijuana (HBO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spi23-6Cw_k

Former House Speaker John Boehner On Pot, Trade And President Donald Trump | CNBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZQP9lksC64

Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM #6
cryptop

cryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura about
It looks like Boehner initiated this? Now Schumer (and the entirety of dems and republicans) are going to pretend to love states regulating themselves. They're tripping over each other to see who can capitalize on cannabis before the midterms. I'm just waiting to see someone introduce a federal legalization bill that mandates a federal oligopoly of mids producers.
cryptop is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 AM #7
Jhhnn
Banned

Jhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptop View Post
It looks like Boehner initiated this? Now Schumer (and the entirety of dems and republicans) are going to pretend to love states regulating themselves. They're tripping over each other to see who can capitalize on cannabis before the midterms. I'm just waiting to see someone introduce a federal legalization bill that mandates a federal oligopoly of mids producers.
No. Boehner is a private citizen since Sept of 2015. He recently took a board position in a Canna company.

The 2016 Democratic platform called for a path to legalization & this is it.
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 08:28 AM #8
yesum
IC Mag Supporter

yesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant futureyesum has a brilliant future
The dems get something right, yeehah!

Trump left it to the states as I expected. The poor guys that got scared by the Keebler elf, must have been terrifying.
yesum is offline Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 06:48 PM #9
cryptop

cryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura aboutcryptop has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
No. Boehner is a private citizen since Sept of 2015. He recently took a board position in a Canna company.

The 2016 Democratic platform called for a path to legalization & this is it.
That is what I am referring to. As soon as Boehner took that position and Trump appears to support states rights (as the sitting president this time, not as a nominee), the democrats immediately have started pulling out all the stops to see who can support it more.

Cory Booker, Gavin Newsom, etc were playing the longer game and hoping to use legalization to win the 2020 election. Now that republicans are suddenly going to beat them to it in the public's eyes, they are being forced to move much faster than they originally intended. It's all in the game to win votes. Will be interesting to see what states legalize in the next 2 years.
cryptop is offline Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 PM #10
igrowone

igrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant future
outright removal from the 'list'?
damn, that would be something
but guessing there's more to it than that, that would be like tomatoes