What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California’s “Legalization” of recreational use of marijuana. It’s worse than I feare

ReahHigh

I became a medical patient 15 years ago, after suffering a broken back, hip & knee replacement & learning to walk again. I am also the parent of a disabled son, with severe Tourette’s Syndrome, also relies on marijuana to help control his violent tics.

I voted against prop 64, due to concerns about the potential negative impact, on medical patients & seeing what happened in Oregon & Washington after they legalized recreational marijuana. Just months into the new law, we find ourselves in quite a desperate situation, & we aren’t alone.

Due to the arbitrary growing restrictions & our higher than average needs, we can only grow enough to get us through about half a year. Until Jan 1, we could make “compassionate” &/or bulk purchase arrangements, etc. with local dispensaries, to get the medication we need, to help us get through the rest of the year.

Now many patients, must choose between drastically reducing our medication, or turning to dangerous options like, Craig’s list, Bud trader, etc. to get the medication we desperately need. It’s not just patients that have higher than average needs, but every patient that received low cost, free or large quantities of medication, has been cut off from previously legal options.

Advocates assured us that passing prop 64 would address some major issues, that any bumps along the way, would be well worth it. I was concerned the bumps,(medical patients) might pay more than any benefits gained by legalizing of recreational use.

Let’s look at some of the issues pro “Legalization” advocates, assured us would happen if the law passed & see how it is actually working out.

One of the main issues was, It will eliminate & reduce crimes (minimize harm), & prevent people from going to jail.-
While it’s now legal to carry an ounce and grow a 6 plants per owned (rented dwelling, must have owners permission) residence, cops are somehow busting the same number of people as ever! They are now punishing people for everything from operating business with out a license, possession of over an ounce, concretes, growing to many plants, or growing them in the wrong place, driving, “under influence,” & for public toking.

FYI- driving home with your, “Legal” Marijuana product in a bag/baggy in the glovebox is now, “Open Container”. It must be locked in your trunk. If you drive a truck or hatchback you must have a special lockbox or special container, (some dispensaries won’t let you out without it, but not all even have them). Cops are not just out giving warnings, or trying to educate people about the new law, they are pro$ecuting!

Will end the War on Drugs-
It has just created new groups/kind of, “criminals.” See above 👆. The idea that some recreational legalization, might actually be worse than none, or not worth losing medical rights over, is considered, “Purist” & “ Idealistic” by some. Tell that to the people who now find themselves, ”Criminalized” by “Legalization”!

It will protect medical marijuana patients rights.- Prop 64 doesn’t address patients ability to access medication at school or work. It still allows companies to drug test & fire anyone, regardless of medical necessities. It doesn’t even provide or allow for patients to have access to places to use their medication, not even at home (if your landlord says no). Some counties have even placed growing restrictions & bans that make it illegal to grow medical marijuana outdoors! These patients are being forced into significant additional costs purchasing lights, fans, etc. not to mention the ongoing utility bills, that will only go up. This is unsustainable for most patients.

Will not create “monopolies”-
Prop 64 specifically prohibits licenses for large growers (over 22,000 square feet)until 2020. This law was written for, and by, big corporations! During the 5 year waiting period, most small & medium-size growers will be forced out of business. This version of, “Legalization” is not ever about, patients rights or keeping the decades of work small mom-and-pop growers have put into this industry. In the words of one, “Ganjapreneur,” it’s about creating the Marlboro & Wal-Marts of Marijuana.

It will lead to lower prices and put an end to the black market -
Nothing could be further than the truth! The combination of over taxation & regulation is creating a perfect storm that drastically increases the need for, “Black Market.”
Many patients have had the cost of their medication double since first of the year! There is a bottle neck in permits, testing and licensing that will likely get even worse as the year goes on.

It will protect consumers with safety tests, standardize dosage and labeling of cannabis -
Prop 64 does not require that cultivators send their product to independent or 3rd party testing or, “distributors”. They have placed arbitrary restrictions on edibles dosing & possession limits that don’t consider the diversity of patients medical needs. It actually weakened the MMRSA testing requirements!

It will allow for worry free home grows-
This is most definitely NOT the case! Prop 64 Allowed local cities & counties to set arbitrary local growing restrictions. Some areas have banned outdoor growing entirely! As a result of recreational legalization, Washington state citizens can no longer even home-grow at all!

It will legitimize marijuana-
“Legalization” has not addressed the issue of workplace drug testing, allowing medical patients to use it at work or school, etc. Employees are still subject to drug testing & job loss. Where the hell are people even allowed to use it? As of this writing, only one in seven cities have even any allowed recreational use.

A few people, like Dennis Peron, seem to have been right in there warnings about the consequences of this law. Advocates are saying, “Congratulations! It’s a start. We just need a few years of piecemeal legislation, to work out the kinks.”

Am I the only one that feels like a, “Redheaded step-child” of the Medical Marijuana movement? Are there still any advocates or groups, the least bit concerned about helping medical patients who find themselves criminalized, due to “Legalization” ?

redlaser

Veteran
Hey Reahhigh, I agree that there should be room for advocacy groups helping people with affordable options. It’s something I helped with before 64 and am trying to do after 64.

Get your post count past 50 so you can private message, lots of Tokers den threads for that.

Weed was already too pricey before 64, don’t know how people manage after 64

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read your informative post with sadness. There's a Catch 22 in CO, so I found out.

Most grow without much mention of plant counts- so probably CA growers (for personal medicinal use) will do the same.

You need to post in other threads beside Intro to add up to the 50 post count. Easy to do...chose how you like to grow (hydro/indoors/outdoors, etc.) what you've done in the past...you'll get there. Oh! You're in the Cali thread...yay! Keep on posting!

Good luck! And welcome!

kiingbee

after looking thru the various and confusing CA license options..It seems to me that any indoor grow space under 500 sq ft does not need to be licensed under prop 64.

the smallest indoor cultivation license starts at 500 sq ft. I cant remember specifics..but thats what I gathered..

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Will not create “monopolies”-
Prop 64 specifically prohibits licenses for large growers (over 22,000 square feet)until 2020. This law was written for, and by, big corporations! During the 5 year waiting period, most small & medium-size growers will be forced out of business. This version of, “Legalization” is not ever about, patients rights or keeping the decades of work small mom-and-pop growers have put into this industry. In the words of one, “Ganjapreneur,” it’s about creating the Marlboro & Wal-Marts of Marijuana.
This is excellent, and the only way to go to protect the diversity of strains and producers.

A relevant comparison is between the American and German beer industries. The US (population 320mn) now has about 2 major labels, Germany (population 85mn) has 100s of beers. The difference is regulation in favor of local producers. For instance the Reinheitsgebot, which is a "1516 Bavarian law, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley and hops."

You can do the same thing with regards to distance of producers to dispensaries. The ideal is that there are very many producers, rather than 2 major corporations that everyone who is in the industry works for - like legal opium in Tasmania, where 700 outgrowers grow 10,000 hectares each for Johnson & Johnson's Tasmanian Alkaloids, or GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).

EsterEssence

Veteran
Well in Desert hot springs there are many huge warehouses already working, maybe they are 21500 sq ft. People I know that have been growing for years here in Cali can't sell there products, what the hell are all these giant greenhouse/ warehouses going to do with all they grow? Turn it into those little poison pens and make a bunch of e-waste...

Latest posts

Latest posts