What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Pest/Dieases IPM 101

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, intermixed with the religious writings are other uses for the product.

Truth be told, I once used Bronners peppermint as a body/hair soap. Just the one time ;)

Cobra420

Yes, intermixed with the religious writings are other uses for the product.

Truth be told, I once used Bronners peppermint as a body/hair soap. Just the one time ;)

I decided to spray down my clones with the essential oil mix + Dr Bronners last night. I don't know if it's actually helped with the spider mites, BUT I can tell a HUGE difference with and without!

Without the soap, I had to spray, spray and spray some more just to get a couple of droplets on the leaves without running right off... With the soap, the ENTIRE leaf is coated with just a spray or two. I'm quite impressed. I feel like it will work a hell of a lot better with the added soap. Now if it's because it is the emulsifier, I don't know due to not having any other emulsifiers to compare it with. I am still spraying a TON just to make sure everything gets coated though.

Either way, I'm excited to see how this mix works out. So far, everything is looking good from the non soap spray a few days ago. All healthy, without any new burn by the looks of it.

Now I do have a question about the spider mites.

Do they hide at lights out or something??

I feel like earlier when the lights were on, I could see something under some leaves. Not sure if it was just soil debris from spraying since the way I was spraying was blowing the soil around a bit or what. Checking those same spots a few hours into lights out, there doesn't appear to be anything really in those places. I'm wondering if they wander off during lights out and if I'd be better off starting the spraying right before the lights go off.

I'm planning to spray everything down again tomorrow. We'll see how this new mix + soap works out. I'm really hoping it does the trick. So far, everything has healthy new growth on it and is looking good. I'd just like to keep these things at bay!

I used from the beginning (as prevention) insecticidal Soap and Neem Oil (5ml/L both) weekly sprayed directly on plant without to have any problem at all...it is my healthier grow in my all life, but now i am in the fourth-fifth week of flowerin' and i cannot make wet by buds with them....so my question is : how to protect my outdoor medical plant? Could help in some way neem seed meal spread of the ground or ...what else?? I really need to protect the plant bcz around her there are a lot of dangerous "monsters".
plz help !

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At one point you just have to let them be.

On another note, Dr. Bonner's is now donating for legalization.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the aztadirachtin in the neem oil is systemic and since it is locally applied numerous times the concentration should be strong enough to deter pests

it is best if you understood the mode of action

it is now known to affect over 200 species of insect, by acting mainly as an antifeedant and growth disruptor, and as such it possesses considerable toxicity toward insects (LD50(S. littoralis): 15 μg/g). Azadirachtin fulfills many of the criteria needed for a good insecticide. Azadirachtin is biodegradable (it degrades within 100 hours when exposed to light and water) and shows very low toxicity to mammals (the LD50 in rats is > 3,540 mg/kg making it practically non-toxic).

This compound is found in the seeds (0.2 to 0.8 percent by weight) of the neem tree, Azadirachta indica (hence the prefix aza does not imply an aza compound, but refers to the scientific species name). Many more compounds, related to azadirachtin, are present in the seeds as well as in the leaves and the bark of the neem tree which also show strong biological activities among various pest insects [4][5] Effects of these preparations on beneficial arthropods are generally considered to be minimal. Some laboratory and field studies have found neem extracts to be compatible with biological control. Because pure neem oil contains other insecticidal and fungicidal compounds in addition to azadirachtin, it is generally mixed at a rate of 1 ounce per gallon (7.8 ml/l) of water when used as a pesticide.

the aztadirachtin in the neem oil is systemic and since it is locally applied numerous times the concentration should be strong enough to deter pests

it is best if you understood the mode of action

Oh nice read, so the plant in your opinion has enough "neem" (bcz sprayed everyweek at5ml/L) to deter pest until harvesting???
The harvest should be in 5-6 weeks from now...hope it works

Thx

Heres my Organic pest management recipe,
Ive got fungus knats and stink bugs

I used :

1 gallon water
3 spoon fulls of Dr Bonners soap, i had citrus on hand. Which has a citrus essential oil already added

Several essential oils

40-50 drops of Eucalyptus oil
15 drops Lavender oil
15 drops Orange oil
15 drops Lemon oil
25 drops peppermint oil
Spoon full of dried cayenne pepper

I sprayed on the underside and top side of my plants. My eyes were burning and tearing up when I was done. Should do the trick, ill hit them a few more times over the course of the week.

For the fungus knats In addition I dusted a heavy layer of diatomaceous earth on my the top of my soil and added mosquitoes bits, from the makers of mosquios dunks only in granular form, it contains Bacillus thuringiensis, which is a bacteria toxic to fungus knats, with benefits of mirobes for soil. I also have yellow sticky paper out to watch for them.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
What is the difference between a "soap" and potassium silicate?
At what point does a surfactant solution become a soap?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Heres my Organic pest management recipe,
Ive got fungus knats and stink bugs

I used :

1 gallon water
3 spoon fulls of Dr Bonners soap, i had citrus on hand. Which has a citrus essential oil already added

Several essential oils

40-50 drops of Eucalyptus oil
15 drops Lavender oil
15 drops Orange oil
15 drops Lemon oil
25 drops peppermint oil
Spoon full of dried cayenne pepper

I sprayed on the underside and top side of my plants. My eyes were burning and tearing up when I was done. Should do the trick, ill hit them a few more times over the course of the week.

For the fungus knats In addition I dusted a heavy layer of diatomaceous earth on my the top of my soil and added mosquitoes bits, from the makers of mosquios dunks only in granular form, it contains Bacillus thuringiensis, which is a bacteria toxic to fungus knats, with benefits of mirobes for soil. I also have yellow sticky paper out to watch for them.

That is a Lot of essential oil.
I use about 20 drops total, 35total if I need to go nuclear.
Be careful of your health - at high concentrations, essential oils can harm mammals(us, pets).
One only need apply enough essential oil to disrupt the hormones of the insect and plant. And hormones are affected by the smallest of doses. As for the properties of melting chitin exoskeletons, not much is needed there either.
Essential oils are super concentrated and only a little bit is needed per gallon. Its more about the right blend then the quantity.
And finally, poisons are most effective in small doses.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
That is a Lot of essential oil.
I use about 20 drops total, 35total if I need to go nuclear.
Be careful of your health - at high concentrations, essential oils can harm mammals(us, pets).
One only need apply enough essential oil to disrupt the hormones of the insect and plant. And hormones are affected by the smallest of doses. As for the properties of melting chitin exoskeletons, not much is needed there either.
Essential oils are super concentrated and only a little bit is needed per gallon. Its more about the right blend then the quantity.
And finally, poisons are most effective in small doses.

Agreed, it may be natural but the stuff is potent. I got a tiny amount of pure cinnamon oil on the back of my hand I couldn't believe how it burnt my skin! I got respect for essential oils now!

Well then I went triple nuclear wrapped in a few hundred sidewinder missles with the mix. Total disruption in a bugs life. I felt what I put in was reasonable in a gallon. Yeah it was strong which is what I wanted and it seemed to do the trick. i can see lil specks of the cayenne pepper on the leafs hope the lil bugs the hot flakes. all are very healthy no leaf curling no drooping. I had an exrta box fan to help dry out the plants as well. ill use less on my next few rounds.

My plants are 3-4 feet tall, im in 25 gal pots. Still in veg.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have a couple of oz. Of moldy material. Some was moldy when harvested. Other molded after blasting/extraction. I always save all plant material to compost, or to top dress 3 gal pots, or I thought about trying to make a Cannabis FPE. If I add the moldy stuff to compost (before it heats up) will the plants that are grown in it get mold? Or will it the heat kill it, but leaving the soil with mold antibodies, sorta giving it a vaccination?

truck

Trifecta Boost and Trifecta Crop Control. I run both at 2ml per gallon in 30 gallons and use either a 1 GALLON OR 2 GALLON per minute dramm spray nozzle. I've heard guys using as little as 1/2 ml of boost and 1 ml crop control in 60-500 gallon tanks. The bigger the tank the less ml/gal you need of each. I believe this is from how much surface area is being covered of the entire grow and wash the plants vs. just misting them too. You can even go crazy and get a 4gal/min nozzle and blast them. But That is only if you plants are crawling. Drench your soil with it too. Its systemic and you will eventually smell the systemic response in the smell and taste of leaf sap. The other major test is check your crop with a microscope before and after every spray to double check to make sure you are getting a kill off. I've had russet mites bad. I run Organocide at 1oz per gallon with the boost at 1-2 mil per gallon with epsom salt at 1ml per gallon, I also add 1 oz neem oil every other spray to my organocide mix. Seems to keep the bugs guessing. I will also mix in some calcium and kelp as well to up my nutrient load at certain points too. Plus they have their own ability to fight bugs and disease.

truck

P.S. if you have had russet mites never stop spraying. You must spray ever week if not ever 3 days until the day you retire. They come back every-time i stop spraying. They blow in on the wind currents and live on everything outside. So unless you have a air locked facility with air showers, you will get these bad boys. Start your IPM asap and never stop.

Latest posts

Latest posts