What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Induction Lighting 2015

So I stopped by my local store and checked out the iGrow induction lights, and I have to say, I'm mighty impressed.
I can TOUCH the bare bulb with my hand without burning it. The safety factor alone, both for plants and fire hazard, is pretty cool. Not having to cooltube the thing is great also.
The light spread is better than HID because its not single point, but still has fair penetration. Seems easier than HID because it removes the heat hazard and makes ventilation so much easier - no need for cooltubes, saves planning, work and money.
It seems like its combining the benefits of HID (intensity, pentration and ease of use) with LED (good spectrum, less heat and power) with none of the drawbacks of either. Less heat and wattage than HID, not difficult to use like LEDs (canopy management, complicated electronics, no spread or penetration).

I've read a few other threads on these. Some have complained that they caused issues or didn't produce like they claimed. The company claims that they perform much better when grown from seed/multiple clone generations under the same light, probably due to epigenetic effects. Fairly plausible. Anyone grown from seed/mothers under these lights?
Where due we stand on induction lighting in 2015?

dextorious

never mind i looked it up. not what i was thinking. see i have this flat panel tv that the screen cracked on and i was dismantling it for scrap and i got to looking at the backlighting for the tv. it puts off an intence cfl like light. the elements look like 3mm linear cfl tubes but i cant find anything like it on the net. any thoughts?

B

bringyalungs

Don't do it, I repeat...DO NOT DO IT... Had one complete bullfackinng shit, went right back to hps... All it is an oversized floro.... The grows spot don't even sell or promote that crap... They got it in the back, junk pile

Lee Majors

I have been using a igrow 400 watt for flowering off and on for about 2 years now. I start my seeds and veg using a 4 foot 6 bulb T5. I mix in one 3000k tube with this start and it seems to work really well. Towards the end of veg I usually mix in one more warm bulb and let them get used to that. Then when I start to flower I setup the igrow and the plants seem to really like bathing in that light they adjust really quick. I like them they are efficient and they last alot longer and keep there light strength over a longer period of time. They do run cool much like an 8 bulb T5 would. The only drawback for some might be its size but they are really efficient and have a great spectrum. I recently got a 3ft induction veg fixture that should last along time w/ out having to change out bulbs. I am a small fry but from 2 years of using these lights I really like em .