What's new

Multiple phenotypes vs unstable strain

Pwyll

How can someone market a strain and then list a dozen different "phenotypes"? I understand the notion of a seed producing a different type of plant depending on how it is grown. But if I take a six pack of seeds and produce six different types of plant how is that not just a strain that has not been stabilized?

zif

Veteran
Most of the time, it happens because marketing is a heck of a lot easier than legitimate breeding. Do keep in mind, though, that some variability can be a good thing. For example, a range of plant growth forms from a seed pack might help more growers find an ideal match for their growing style. A mix of chemotypes, however, might not be as impressive. What traits are said to be stable, and are they in fact stable, is the important thing... in my opinion. If every plant differs in every respect, though, then you're not looking at the work of a professional!

WelderDan

Veteran
If you get 6 different phenos, it's a result of crossing hybrids that were not stabilized.

If you want stable, you cross 2 stable P1 parents to create a stable F1.

Or, you put in the time and effort selecting hybrid parents for several generations to get a stable strain.