What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Powder mildew on clones, from a dispensary?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I recently got some cuts from a club, there was some pm on a few. I plucked those leafs off. I have a sulfur burner, but was wondering about dipping them in a hydrogen peroxide mixture, i did that last year with my outdoor and it seemed to work on mature buds. jorge cerventes method is what i used. I was just wondering would that help on clones, if i was to dip them in the same type of solution?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Someone else will chime in with names, you'll have to kill the pm that's residing within the plant. Usually very toxic stuff. Healthiest bet is to treat it, veg it for a few months and then take cuts for a new mum.

Quickest would be to get some new clean cuts from someone else and throw your current ones away.

panick503

I don't know what the h2o2 mix would to to live plants . I know it works on freshly chopped ones. My suggestion would be to spray the plants with something you know is benign, and increase air flow

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If someone gave me clones with PM they would be in the compost pile as far from my grow as possible and buried (the clones not the person). Then I would wash any clothing that I had been wearing and take a shower. Some strains of pm are like the plague.

In 40 years I only had one case of the really bad pm. You could spray it with green cure or any other supposed remedy and it didn't even slow it down.

DJXX

Veteran
Eagle 20....dip them in it...keep them quarantined until eradicated..DJXX

Douglas.Curtis

Eagle 20....dip them in it...keep them quarantined until eradicated..DJXX
Correct...
This and Meltatox are the only poisons (I know of) which will *eradicate* the pm INSIDE the plant. Treating it with green-cure, h202, baking soda, milk or anything else non-toxic is only going to, at best, slow it down. (Edit: I stand corrected, see the information on milk, further on in this thread. Good stuff!)

If someone gave me clones with PM they would be in the compost pile as far from my grow as possible and buried (the clones not the person). Then I would wash any clothing that I had been wearing and take a shower. Some strains of pm are like the plague.

In 40 years I only had one case of the really bad pm. You could spray it with green cure or any other supposed remedy and it didn't even slow it down.
The ultimate solution
tiphat.gif
dance013.gif

Last edited:

YetiOG

Correct...
This and Meltatox are the only poisons (I know of) which will *eradicate* the pm INSIDE the plant. Treating it with green-cure, h202, baking soda, milk or anything else non-toxic is only going to, at best, slow it down.

The ultimate solution View Image View Image

Got some clones back from a backup in winter infected tried potassium bicarbonate, getting rid of everything but it came back.

I have had to resort to geting some nova, its the same thing as eagle 20 but whats available in canada. I will have to use it on everything to make sure its gone

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...milk worked for me, it took several weeks of spraying every third day but in the end the milk cured my pm problem.

...it's also quite benign and safe to use right up to the day of harvest.

peace, bozo

packerfan79

Veteran
...milk worked for me, it took several weeks of spraying every third day but in the end the milk cured my pm problem.

...it's also quite benign and safe to use right up to the day of harvest.

peace, bozo

What kind of milk? I read you need raw unpasteurized milk.

Douglas.Curtis

Milk Buds... extraction material for edibles.

Did it "Cure" the problem, or did it keep the PM at bay until harvest. Huge difference.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
What kind of milk? I read you need raw unpasteurized milk.
...yeah, i don't have easy access to the info i found here on my phone but that info said any kind of milk would work, even powdered milk.

...i personally used whole milk diluted down to 10 parts water to 1 part milk because that's what i had in the house.

Milk Buds... extraction material for edibles.

Did it "Cure" the problem, or did it keep the PM at bay until harvest. Huge difference.

...it cured it in the vegging plants too and not just in the bloomroom, ...the pm came to me on gifted clones so before i realized i had a problem the pm had spread everywhere.

peace, bozo

...here, i found that info.

---------------------------------------------

Milk is a useful fungicide in the garden, and is more effective than standard chemical brands.

Researchers believe the potassium phosphate in milk boosts a plant's immune system to fight the fungi.

Where most organic gardeners use a baking soda, soap and oil solution, milk may be substituted to combat the unwanted fungus.

Preparing a Milk Solution and Spraying Schedule

The correct dilution and spraying schedule for garden plants depends on the situation and takes some trial and error.

A milk fungicide solution can range from 1 part milk to 9 parts water, to a strong, milk-only solution. A 1:1 dilution may work for a week, but a 1:8 solution requires spraying every 3 or 4 days.

Skim milk may work better than whole milk, as the higher fat milk may clog a sprayer; even reconstituted powdered milk works.

Uses for Milk Fungicide

Milk was originally used in the garden to treat powdery mildew on squash plants. It is now also commonly used on flowers such as rudebekia (Black-eyed Susans) and Begonias to cure powdery mildew.

Milk has also been used to cure Botrytis on a Cyclamen houseplant. This was applied full strength every morning (leftover breakfast milk). Rotten leaves were picked away and the plant pulled through with no more Botrytis.

Black spots and rust on roses can be controlled but not cured with milk. Fortunately, milk can prevent the spread of these fungi to other plants and new leaves. This can be very useful when bringing home a plant from the nursery and finding a black spot.

The copyright of the article Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in Organic Gardening is owned by Deborah Turton. Permission to republish Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Arzeena Hamir
Powdery Mildew

Less than 3 years ago, researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system.

Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca Fuliginea. It is a serious disease that occurs worldwide. For decades, organic gardeners had to rely on making a spray from baking soda to control the disease. Now, instead of measuring out the baking soda and combining it with a surfactant (a "sticking" substance) of either oil or soap, gardeners need only head for their refrigerators.

In his experiments with zucchini plants, Bettiol found that a weekly spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew infection on the plants by 90%. While some gardeners may be tempted to increase the concentration of milk for more control, Bettiol found that once concentrations rose above 30%, an innoccuous fungus began to grow on the plants. How does milk control powdery mildew?

Scientist aren't 100% sure how milk works to control this disease. It seems that milk is a natural germicide. In addition, it contains several naturally occurring salts and amino acids that are taken up by the plant. From previous experiments using sodium bicarbonate, potassium phosphate, and other salts, researchers have found that the disease is sensitive to these salts. It is possible then, that milk boosts the plant's immune system to prevent the disease.

Milk used around the world
The benefits of using milk to control powdery mildew haven't been isolated to Brazil. Melon growers in New Zealand are saving thousands of dollars every year by spraying their crops with milk instead of synthetic fungicides. The melon growers in New Zealand have been so successful that the wine industry is taking notice and beginning experiments using milk to control powdery mildew in grapes.

What kind of milk should be used?
In Bettiol's original experiment, fresh milk was used, straight from the cow. However, this is obviously not feasible to most home gardeners. The research work in New Zealand actually found that using skim milk was just as effective. Not only was it cheaper, but the fact that the milk had no fat content meant that there was less chance of any odours.

Wagner Bettiol's original article was published in the journal Crop Science (Vol. 18, 1999, pp. 489-92).

YetiOG

just because u dont see pm doesnt mean its cured,.milk DOES NOT cure pm,period.....

Yes, you can keep it at bay but you cant get rid of it. Needing weekly spray proves that. Use eagle or nova once or twice and you wont see it again

justanotherbozo

Veteran
So, you kept mums which had PM, and you've flowered out cuts from that mum and haven't had any PM. Correct? This would be indication of a 'cure.'

...yes, i kept that mom and cloned her repeatedly for several years.

...as i said above, it took me several weeks of sprayings before the pm stopped coming back, it was a ChemD cut and was very tasty so i didn't want to give her up.

...if you read that stuff i posted above you'll see that milk works as a good organic fungicide while also boosting the plants immune system and it is this factor i believe is why, over time, the milk worked for me.

...but i'm a small time operator, if i had a commercial sized op i'd get me a sulpher burner.

...although prevention is a better approach and not too difficult once one understands the lifecycle of this problem.

...anyway, i don't profess to be any kind of expert, maybe armchair?, i'm just sharing what worked for me and not just some bullshit i read somewhere.

peace, bozo

Douglas.Curtis

...yes, i kept that mom and cloned her repeatedly for several years.

...as i said above, it took me several weeks of sprayings before the pm stopped coming back, it was a ChemD cut and was very tasty so i didn't want to give her up.

...if you read that stuff i posted above you'll see that milk works as a good organic fungicide while also boosting the plants immune system and it is this factor i believe is why, over time, the milk worked for me.
This actually makes sense, as I've read and heard other reports of healthy plants eradicating pm. Plants which were given all they needed to be strong and healthy. This would account for the numerous growers who did not have the same results. Spraying not as healthy plants wouldn't have the same effect.

Appreciate the info. Ty :)

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I found some Activonate that i forgot i had. I ended up using 1 tspn of that also added some protekt silica , 1/2 tspn for a 1 gallon mix. Sprayed them pretty good. I might give it a day or two then put the sulfur burner in the room

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
BTW the clones that came with the PM was from OrganiCann in Santa Rosa Ca. they also have clubs in Oakland and up in Hopland

Latest posts

Latest posts