What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Strong Of A Air Conditioner Would I Need For 84 Gavita's?

MJINC

Fuck it, think I'm just going to try starting off with the 32 gavitas for flower, 10 regular single ended mh with air cooled hoods for veg , get a 10 ton ac(or two 5's) for the flower/gavitas and use my 5 ton mini split for the veg. I'll just make adjustments as needed, this isn't my first rodeo lol...although it is my biggest :eek:.

Good luck. 10 tons is 120,000 BTU's and that still might be a little short of your needs if it get's pretty warm where you are

Rabbi

Good luck. 10 tons is 120,000 BTU's and that still might be a little short of your needs if it get's pretty warm where you are

Well damn. Might have re-think things than lol.

Right it now it seems like my main options are: Get stronger ac, do a flip-flop style set up, or go single ended lamps with air cooled hoods.

Gonna have think this over a bit more I guess.

Absolem

Just call a HVAC company up and have them run the diagnostics on your set up? My state is medical and the HVAC companies are happy to work with people in the cannabis field.

Speed of green

multiple 5 tons is the cheapest route, and youll be able to run 10-13 lights on one 5 ton if you are staying sealed.

Redundancy is key, you dont want one 30 ton unit, its not economical to run with a 10 ton load.

its like pulling a jetski with a big rig.

Rabbi

Just call a HVAC company up and have them run the diagnostics on your set up? My state is medical and the HVAC companies are happy to work with people in the cannabis field.

In the last 6 years I've dealt with 4 different HVAC guys/companies and none of them seem to grasp what kind of temps we're dealing with. I've just accepted that I need to figure it out myself and just get them to install what I ask.

Rabbi

multiple 5 tons is the cheapest route, and youll be able to run 10-13 lights on one 5 ton if you are staying sealed.

Redundancy is key, you dont want one 30 ton unit, its not economical to run with a 10 ton load.

Ok maybe I'll start off with 3x 5ton units for flower and the 5ton mini split for the veg.

Thx again for the help and suggestions guys.

Absolem

In the last 6 years I've dealt with 4 different HVAC guys/companies and none of them seem to grasp what kind of temps we're dealing with. I've just accepted that I need to figure it out myself and just get them to install what I ask.

That's too bad. HVAC companies can figure heating cooling for 100 floor skyscrapers, large hotels, etc. Our HVAC guys up here have very nice computer models that take everything into account no different then other types of buildings.

Rabbi

That's too bad. HVAC companies can figure heating cooling for 100 floor skyscrapers, large hotels, etc. Our HVAC guys up here have very nice computer models that take everything into account no different then other types of buildings.

Yeah I don't know why they seem to not be able to get it right in my case. Really I think it comes down to their lack of experience dealing with grow ops. They ask all the wrong questions and don't seem to take me serious when I tell them as much. They just don't get the concept of how much heat we're talking about when you take into account all the lights, co2 burners and dehumidifiers. They all just seem to figure x amount of space needs x amount of cooling. Nobody has ever asked me how many btu's or how much heat each light or the co2 burner gives off. When I tell them it's like they're not even listening.

My current Hvac guy is the best of the bunch so far but he's still learning too. He's an experienced Hvac guy and all but just starting to understand how much heat these set ups actually produce. He almost choked when I told him I'll probably need 30 - 40 tons of AC for 1500sqft lol. At least he listens to me though.

Anyway I like the idea of starting off with 3 x 5ton units. Think it sounds like a good starting point until expansion time.

Thx again to all the help here, I probably would of gone in a different direction without it:tiphat:.

Absolem

I agree. A good friend of mine installs HVAC for grows around the state I'm in. Their computer model usually says between 4-6k BTU per 1000 watts. That takes everything into account. Several 5 tons is the way to go.

digging

Can I suggest you look at water cooled chillers for your cooling needs.

So many benefits, including during winter months Dry coolers can be used to chill your rooms almost for free by using outside temperatures to chill the water with out the need for compressors to do the chilling.

Do some research :))))

queequeg152

Veteran
5 ton splits are NOT the cheapest way to cool. not by a long shot.

you can get 10 and 15 ton package units for like 5 and 7 grand pretty easily.

you can get 7 ton commercial splits for like 3 grand. commercial air handler w/ coil would be another grand probably.

Rabbi

Can I suggest you look at water cooled chillers for your cooling needs.

So many benefits, including during winter months Dry coolers can be used to chill your rooms almost for free by using outside temperatures to chill the water with out the need for compressors to do the chilling.

Do some research :))))

I have no ponds or anything on the property.

Rabbi

5 ton splits are NOT the cheapest way to cool. not by a long shot.

you can get 10 and 15 ton package units for like 5 and 7 grand pretty easily.

you can get 7 ton commercial splits for like 3 grand. commercial air handler w/ coil would be another grand probably.

K good to know. I'll check my options with my Hvac guy and go from there.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
It will work

It will work

315cmh in veg covers what a 1000de covers in flower and run much cooler. Running separate rooms will save on cooling. I would try an evaporative cooler for veg and the first half of flower. They are very inexpensive to operate. https://www.mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1630

packerfan79

Veteran
You night checkout dual stage evaporate cooling, it works as a swamp cooler but without the humidity. They use a heat exchanger to bring down the humidity. Could be a cost saving way to keep veg cool. Seer ratings mean a lot when the bills come in. Most a.c. guys don't push efficient units as they are costly, but in your case where a.c. will be running much of the time efficiency is going to save you a large amount of money, in a short period of time.

Rabbi

I'm actually going to use regular single ended mh lights with air cooled hoods(since I already have them) and my 5ton mini split for the veg. The double ended bulbs will be for flower.

Last edited: